• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

California Black Plates

1fb1gtcs

Hey everyone I had a question about using black plates on my gt/cs. When I got mine it had personalized plates that I turned in for new plates. I picked up a set of mint black plates a little while ago but the dmv says they can only be put on vehicles built before the year stamped into the plates. The year on mine and as far as I know all black plates is 1963. This doesn't make sense though because how could a car that was built in say 1960 have plates on it that were made in 1963?! Anyone know a way around this or have more info?

GTCS95616

All of the black California plates mounted on middle to late 60's cars that I recall seeing had the same year stamped on them. As I recall, it was 1963 or 63. As for the reason why this year was stamped on them, I don't know why.

If you really wanted to have black plates on your car, I suppose you could try to get personalized plates bearing the same license plate number as the black ones you have and use the black ones on the car if the DMV issues you a set bearing that number.

carvensno

i have a 66 bug with black plates, it has 63 stamped into it thats it.... ;D

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

That's a really clever idea about getting personalized plates that match the black ones and then swapping. I wonder what it would be like to explain that at a traffic stop some day though! I guess I really don't need to have the black plates on there I just thought it would be a nice touch. I could probably just put them on for photos and such, it's really cool because the plates that I have were last registered in 1971! Definitely wouldn't want to forget to change them back after photo shoot though, you'll get towed immediately with registration that far overdue!

darb

Unfortunatly, the DMV will not allow you to get a personalized plate bearing the same numbers as your black plates. The reason I was told:

"The numbers you selected are too similiar to an actual license plate."

???? - I went to several DMV's, same response. Isn't it a REAL license plate? I dont understand...but that's what they say.

I ended up tricking one DMV girl into believing that the plates were the actual plates on the vehicle, but were switched when they got lost in the garage due to restoration. She bought it.

Brad

nfrntau

I would try to find out what type of car the plates were originally on. Maybe you'll get lucky and it was a 68 Mustang. Another idea is to tell the DMV that while doing the restoration. You found the original owner and he gave you the plates. They might buy it.
Good luck!

carvensno

so from what you are saying brad is that you were able to use the blacks plates then or am i not understanding do you right? sorry! :p