• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Console Shifter Issue Part 2

AJG

I received my new slide from NPD and am trying to install. When placed in park, the bottom of the slide seems to be sticking out too far. Is this correct? Once I try to shift into gear, the bottom of the slide is out of the track and gets caught. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 39

franklinair

Some adjustments are necessary:
In your 2nd photo, the 3 screws (with the rectangular 'washers') need to be loosened, as well as removing the 4th screw (no washer). The 3 screws that go thru oversized holes allow the Shift Indicator piece to be adjusted fore & aft.
With the Gear Selector in PARK you should be able to move the Shift Indicator piece aft to where the Slide is still in it's slots.
Then re-check that the lighted position indicators indicate the correct gear selected.
It's also possible you may have to adjust the selector rod that attaches to the C4.
Shop Manual, Chapter 7, page 31 may help.

Neil

PS:
What is that "Pyramid" thingy with the red lites??

OP
OP
A

AJG

Thanks, I will head back out and give that shot. The Pyramid in the back ground is a power booster I put in back in 1989 when really loud music was the best companion for a fast car. I torment my kids with it now by saying my speakers go up to 11.

OP
OP
A

AJG

I had pulled the plate as far forward as possible but the slide still poked out and got caught when shifted into Drive. I looked online at other cars at is appears the slide should not protrude out at all when in Park. Just to confirm, does it matter where the selector rod is placed(passenger or driver side of the shifter)?

franklinair

When the gear selector is in Park, the slide should not be out of it's grooves. I checked mine this afternoon to verify that.

Neil