• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale EBAY listing - GT/CS CALIFORNIA SPECIAL-ORIGINAL

Midnight Special

...If any one wants to PM me a phone number of the seller and a list of things to photograph (ie underside), I could maybe run up there today. I will be attending an air show at Beale AFB, 20-minutes from Oroville this afternoon! Hurry if you're reading this!!

franklinair

If you look at the seller's history on E-bay, he/she is not a car person. He/she sells 'gift shop' items- candles, perfumes, knickknacks. No telling how they came upon this car, but it appears to me that they came across a nice car, and are trying to hit a homerun with the Buy-it-now of $29.9K
Hopefully, Tim can get a look at it w/photos. I'm sure we'd all like to know firsthand.

Neil

ari guy

Neil,
This is what I know about the car, and the owner at this point. The wife, Rigina is posting this for her husband. Here is the last email she sent as follows;
Doc,

I will have my husband put it on the car lift tomorrow and send pictures later in the afternoon. My hubby has two other mustangs, a 1968 fastback and a 1969 Mustang Mach I. The California Special was a "Barn Find" in the Berry Creek area. The 89 y.o. man bought it for his wife. She didn't particularly care for the car. She drove it very little as you can see by the mileage. Ray has tinkered around with it this last year to get it ready to sell. Like I said, it is all original and was keep in excellent condition. I'll read the email to him tomorrow and get the 411 on the questions. We had a busy day in Sacramento at our nieces wedding-he is snoring so I don't think I'll disturb him now. LOL

Regina

So, it sounds like they are car people, had it for awhile, and now want to sell. Doc.

hookedtrout

Neil,
This is what I know about the car, and the owner at this point. The wife, Rigina is posting this for her husband. Here is the last email she sent as follows;
Doc,

I will have my husband put it on the car lift tomorrow and send pictures later in the afternoon. My hubby has two other mustangs, a 1968 fastback and a 1969 Mustang Mach I. The California Special was a "Barn Find" in the Berry Creek area. The 89 y.o. man bought it for his wife. She didn't particularly care for the car. She drove it very little as you can see by the mileage. Ray has tinkered around with it this last year to get it ready to sell. Like I said, it is all original and was keep in excellent condition. I'll read the email to him tomorrow and get the 411 on the questions. We had a busy day in Sacramento at our nieces wedding-he is snoring so I don't think I'll disturb him now. LOL

Regina

So, it sounds like they are car people, had it for awhile, and now want to sell. Doc.

Sounds like they are still claiming original miles and original paint etc as well if I read that right. Wow.

ari guy

Guys all I know is what the wife is saying. I have not been able to communicate with the husband. I am assuming here, that she wrote up the ebay discription on the car as it sounds exactly like the email. What my conclusions here are, at this point are (1) Her husband is a car guy, ie the two mustangs (2) She is not a car person (3) Her idea of (and I quote) "tinkering around on the car for the last year to get it ready to sell" may be a cosmetic restoration (4) The husband is not going to get hands on with the sale of the car.....which could lead to unrealistic expectations of the car's true worth. (5) The terms barn find, original, etc,etc,etc are being thrown around too loosely and do not fit what we know are true 'barn finds'. Conclusion: it was a barn find, but one year of tinkering around with the car leaves it partially cosmetically restored (or more). Third owners on the car, 43 year old car..........I have to believe the car averaged more than 140 miles a year. Just my thoughts until I know more. Doc

Mosesatm

The current sellers may be just quoting what the other sellers told them.

franklinair

Too many unknowns about this car without a personal inspection. Barring that, I'd take a pass. It's obviously been re-worked in MANY areas, and as I stated before- way overpriced for a small block, even though nicely optioned.

Neil

ari guy

This one is getting a little "deep" for me. Finally got some pictures of the bottom side of the car to my email. Floorpans and torqueboxes are solid, appears to have some undercoating on it, very old and crusty, looks like way over 14k miles though to me. Owner claims original paint on the car, was worked over the rear quarters above the tires on both sides where pinhole rusting, replaced passenger scoop, painted drivers scoop, original strips except over the scoops, original paint on the rest of the car. He said he has not detailed the engine or engine bay, just cleaned and waxed it!!! He has replaced the interior. Oh yes, new water pump, radiator, hoses and clamps, belts, and master cylinder. All new interior to the car (Im guessing mice), including kick panels and even package tray.
He has documentation of smog testing in 1992 and the car had 13k miles on it then. The second owner put in the ac, but the wife never drove it anyway. The second owner bought the car at a farm sale, and was told the first owner had only driven the car occasionally. Car was purchased by the second owner in 1989, and purchased by the third owner a year and a half ago.
This one just doesnt feel right. I guess it doesnt matter cause it sounds like she is going to have a high reserve on her anyway. Guys, thanks for your help and input, I really mean that.
Doc

390cs68rcode

haha, the engine compartment has been repainted. Check the 4th photo where it shows the core support and the AC lines going through. See how shiny it is? That's not original or "wax".

It's not bad to have things repainted IMO but saying the paint is original is another.

speedy02

390cs68rcode I see you posting on this car but was wondering if you ever sold your car or had any leads?

speedy02

Did anyone request the Marti Report and recieve it? I would like to know if all the items checked out.

ari guy

I got it.
What does not check out....It is not a GT car. Did not come from factory with ac.
It did come with the deluxe parchment interior, did come with chrome steel wheels (plain center cap I assume), bdb, interior decor group. ps, deluxe belts, remote left mirror, tinted glass, console, am radio, c4 tranny, and is a cal special.
Owner is adamant its a 14 thousand mile car, and untouched paint, except minor work, original engine bay, replaced complete interior. Underside of car is a 114 thousand mile car......................Doc

franklinair

I just re-looked at the E-bay ad for this car: If it hasn't had a re-paint, it certainly had the side stripes replaced. They're positioned too low.

Neil

390cs68rcode

I got it.
What does not check out....It is not a GT car. Did not come from factory with ac.
It did come with the deluxe parchment interior, did come with chrome steel wheels (plain center cap I assume), bdb, interior decor group. ps, deluxe belts, remote left mirror, tinted glass, console, am radio, c4 tranny, and is a cal special.
Owner is adamant its a 14 thousand mile car, and untouched paint, except minor work, original engine bay, replaced complete interior. Underside of car is a 114 thousand mile car......................Doc

I wonder what the owner means by "orginal engine bay"?

ari guy

The car is back up for auction on ebay again. Starting bid $25,000. . . . . . . . .