• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Electrical Endeavor

davidathans

I am cleaning up the wiring on my car. I previously had the factory front wiring harness replaced, but it wasn't a neat job. I am coming across some wires that were not plugged in and i have some questions that i'm sure some of you know the answers to.

Here is my first and only question at this moment:

What is the purpose of the purple wire that connects to the brake fluid junction?

I know i am probably not being very clear because im not exactly sure what it is called. Is it the proportioning valve? When i was checking out my wiring, i noticed it was not plugged in and i am wondering what its purpose is. The brake fluid junction i am referring to is right in between the factory vacuum brake booster and the right side of the engine compartment. Here are some pictures

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 27

rvrtrash

That is for the brake warning light on your dash. There is a switch in the proportioning valve that moves to one side or the other if you have a failure in your front or back brakes and the indicator lights to tell you of the problem.

Steve

Mosesatm

David, even though I don't understand half of what's in them I've found my '68 Mustang wiring and vacuum diagrams to be a great help with such issues. If you don't have one you may want to consider picking one up. I think the diagrams may even be on-line.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

my fax # is 818 708 0081...thank you!!!

By the way, i am having so much fun taking my car apart! i've never taken the entire dash apart before and i did it for the first time today.

I have removed at least 25 lbs of heating and air conditioning (maybe that 25lbs will make up the 0.043 seconds i need to run 10.999)
the heater core (it was bypassed anyways)
the blower motor for the a/c
the ducting for the a/c and heating

tomorrow i am going to remove the windshield wiper motor and components and try to clean up the wiring

funny thing is that this all started because i cooked my MSD box and i temporarily wired up an older one that i have...but since i've started messing around with the wires under the dash...the car won't even crank now!

that wiring diagram might be really handy tomorrow.

Thanks Neil!