• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 engine out

cool68

engine is out and being rebuilt....should go in at the end of next week...still have a lot of cleaning to do in the engine compartment

Attachments

• cs repair 040.jpg
    cs repair 040.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 41
  • cs repair 039.jpg
    cs repair 039.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 39
  • cs repair 034.jpg
    cs repair 034.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 49
  • cs repair 035.jpg
    cs repair 035.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 47

whodat

How much is it going to be for all the engine work and parts?

whodat

That's not bad. I'm not sure yet about mine, but I know I want a new intake and carb. I'm going to pull it in about 14 days.

AADaddy

Good luck! Pulled my motor a few weeks back and have been leisurely cleaning the engine bay with Purple Power and a paint scraper. Using some engine cleaner from time to time as well. Works good but takes the paint off every now and then. Not looking forward to the under side of the car. It's a mess! The Power Steering system, C4 and Oil pan leaked like crazy on my car. Probably why my car never rusted though! Let me know if you find a good cleaner that works well!

Attachments

• 1027.jpg
    1027.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 1029.jpg
    1029.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
OP
cool68

cool68

Good luck! Pulled my motor a few weeks back and have been leisurely cleaning the engine bay with Purple Power and a paint scraper. Using some engine cleaner from time to time as well. Works good but takes the paint off every now and then. Not looking forward to the under side of the car. It's a mess! The Power Steering system, C4 and Oil pan leaked like crazy on my car. Probably why my car never rusted though! Let me know if you find a good cleaner that works well!

thanks for reminding me...i,m going to pick up some purple power and engine cleaner.....my guy is so old he cleans with gas

AADaddy

Yeah, my car has about a 1/8" layer of grease on the entire passenger side of the engine compartment starting under the battery tray and flowing back to under the passenger seat. I've been using Gunk Engine degreaser for the first pass, then following up with Purple Power to finish. The Gunk product has taken the paint off in some areas. I was really trying to avoid painting the compartment until I have have the car repainted in a couple years. So I've eased back on the Gunk usage!

66hcs-conv

While the engine was out of our car, I rented a car dolly and took the car to an auto detailer shop. They used their high pressure washer and some degreaser to clean the bottom of our car. Worked out good 'cause the dolly got the front end off the ground and allowed him to get at the underside easier. It's not prefect, but a big improvement. I made the arrangements before I took the car to him - didn't want to all of a sudden show up with something unusual. I think he charged me $30.

Dave