• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ford falls to record full-year loss of $12.7bn ...

Perkchiro

PNewitt said:
oh, yeah...one more thing...

When I hear (& see) very conservative talk from people, instead of going off on them (like that's gonna work), I just think: "oh, geez..they've been watching WAAY too much Fox News".

gag.

I went to college with one of those conservative pundits you see on Hardball NBC, and I just roll my eyes...

PN.

Hey Paul: Don't you know Ronald Reagan conservatives rock! and Fox News is "Fair and Balanced"?
PS: I'm a not so middle of the road Republican:grin: Is there no room here for me?

P

PNewitt

Hey Steve...

I can handle the R.R. Republicans....it's the Neo-Cons that I worry about.

But, hey, their overall approval rating at 30% right now works for me.

Paul.

Perkchiro

I am somewhat skeptical of the neo-conservative terminology. I don't see where that exists beyond or separate from main stream conservatism in the US. Is it your belief that there is some conspiracy going on? Your thoughts Paul? Please know that I'm not questioning you to be argumentative, I really want to know your thoughts on this one.

Perkchiro

And another thing. . . . . . .with the Dem's in control for the next two years, you should see that approval rating rise proportionately.

CougarCJ

Not corporate policy

joedls said:
Do you really think there are that many people making their car-buying decision, not to purchase a Ford, based on the fact that Ford sponsors "alternative lifestyle issues"?

I was not even aware that Ford supported domestic partners.

In my opinion, smart car buying Americans are purchasing cars that are reliable, value for the price, affordable, economical, visually appealing, and have a good resale value. Some of these factors are perceived in the eye of the beholder. I also think that the American public are buying more used cars than in previous years.

There just really aren't any/hardly any domestic American built cars that have a decent resale value. Talking cars here.
Toyota and Honda are pretty hard to beat.

General Motors is in the same boat as Ford. Too much emphasis on trucks and SUV's. Ford was very lucky that this latest Mustang is such a winner.

The Big Three were heavily dependent upon brand loyalty for decades. Now they should think about designing and building cars that will bring back the buyers from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda. My thoughts are that Chrysler may be first to get back some of that market share.

It is just a matter of time before Toyota starts dominating the full sized truck market with it's Tundra. Although I think Toyota is making a mistake with the Tacoma line making it sooooooo large. Are they abandoning the mini truck market?

My primary vehicle is a GMC 1500. But if I were in the market for a new sedan, I would be looking at the G35 and Camry.
Buying used is also a consideration, I would not hesitate to buy an Altima, Camry, Mustang GT, or Accord.

I am a tail end baby boomer (born 1961), and my tastes have changed from the 1980's. Back then I liked Corvette's, El Camino's, Z-28's, Mustang GT's, and Celicas. Back then style and popularity were the primary factors for choosing cars.
Now I consider a car purchase more like I would an investment. Initial price, financing, Consumer Reports ratings, resale value, and insurance costs.
More than likely, my next car purchase will be used. A friend of mine said it best, "Never buy a depreciating asset."

Mustanglvr

John`s Opinion

Since I have not been able to log out on this site so my husband John can log in, he is here under my username but does not necessarily share my views.

It makes absolutely no sense to me why a company would donate a substantial amount of money to any organization when they are closing plants and laying off workers. Ford will not just lose sales from the closed-minded hate mongers, they will also lose sales from the thousands they are laying off. It is my opinion, that in the next 10 years we will see one of the big three American car companies go belly-up because they cannot compete with the foreign market. How many of us want to see our tax dollars going to a major car company so the government can bail them out? John

P

PNewitt

Absolutely agree with both CougarCJ and John!

Ford is in a real mess. I thought that stodgy old GM was going to lose it long ago.

I think that Corporate America won't change until they see it in $$ loss, then it's too late. The CEOs only want their inflated salaries (up to 40 times the average worker), and bonuses. They leave with cash in hand, then it's someone else's problem.

Unfortunately, I think, American car business is driven by marketing, and the Japanese car business is driven by innovation and progressive thinking. We have a gas crisis (of sorts), and the $3/gallon time (which WILL return soon), has shocked out the big pickup and SUV market. (actually, I hate SUVs, I almost got hit by someone text-messaging in one on the freeway yesterday).

There is no reason why a 40mpg SUV can't be made. MIT built such an engine. It's like 1973 all over again. So, can Ford get it's act together in engineering, and some fresh styling? ( I wonder whay J. Mays would have to say to that?) The dealers are even complaining about the "boring" styling. Big mistake: the Focus grille on the Ford 500.

It's ironic how they wanted the old Probe to replace the Mustang, and now, the Mustang is keeping Ford afloat--at least for now.

C'mon Ford!! Let's see the same great engineering and styling we saw in the 60's. Let's see you make us proud, like how you won Le Mans 1-2-3-5 in 1966 over Ferrari! (i.e. Toyota = Ferrari)

Paul N.
p.s. hey Steve-arino....you should start your own off-topic thread about your brand of politics; cause here, it's distracting.

68gt390

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm not going to step off into the life style thing that was posted earlier especially since I work for a Major Clothing chain that we all know very well. Anyhow, what I do find strang is that with all the lost revenues at Ford this past year and they still say they plan on paying executive bonuses. What a bunch of crap based on all the layoffs and buy outs. Used to be you got paid for improvement not taking steps to the back row. And I have to also agree with CougarCJ. My last 3 new cars have all been a TOYOTA (Camry). Can't beat their gas mileage, dependability and resale value. That's just my two cents.

Don

Mosesatm

68gt390 said:
Anyhow, what I do find strang is that with all the lost revenues at Ford this past year and they still say they plan on paying executive bonuses. What a bunch of crap based on all the layoffs and buy outs. Used to be you got paid for improvement not taking steps to the back row.
Don

Excellent point, Don. Do you know how much of a bonus they are getting?

The reason I ask is that I am lucky enough to have an ICP (Incentive Compensation Plan - "Bonus Plan") with our company where around 80% of my bonus is based on our stock price, and 20% is based on personal performance. For better or worse, that means that if our stock price goes down 80% of my bonus is gone, but if I do my job perfectly I can still get 20% of the bonus.

I don't know what Ford's ICP is like but it might be something similar to ours so the executives may still get a small portion of their potential bonuses even if the company loses money.

Perkchiro

PNewitt said:
p.s. hey Steve-arino....you should start your own off-topic thread about your brand of politics; cause here, it's distracting.

Of course Paul, I agree. I've been distracted by this bitter, vitriolic discussion too. But I think you even contributed when you mentioned the middle of the road Dem thing and the "don't bother arguing with a conservative" thing. and the "gag" Fox News thing. It was others who started the 'hate Perk the conservative' banter. So it's not entirely my responsibility to do that, but I will gladly end it here if all are willing as well. It would be much safer and I my preference to discuss Fords, Mustangs and cars in general anyway.

Thanks for your concern Paul:wink: