• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS restoration

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I'm getting bored so this is the last one.

Bid to $35,000 in 2010, with fee would have been $38,340
http://mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=SC0510-92858
I think this is the Redding car we discussed a few times.

Wow.. thanks for pulling all these together. Great reference info, especially for folk looking to see what their car's worth.

As for my car, I've decided to stick with GT/CS. I brought up the idea of the different project my wife almost killed me. So, I will restore my car to the best I could. I might hold on to some of the exterior NOS items and keep the interior mostly original. Thanks for all the input. I feel a lot better with my decision to stick my California Special.

Ruppstang

Good Choice! Want to see you car done and we will help you get there.
Marty

stangfan

I think you have made the right decision. Make it the best you can without breaking the bank. You can't really go wrong. :grin:

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Hagerty Prices 4-2014.jpg
    Hagerty Prices 4-2014.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 31

stangfan

Being in the Philippines certainly helps jack the price up. :wink:

Wonder how they figured exactly how many are still around.

"1,350 cars are left in existence as of today"

somethingspecial

The one in the Phillipines belongs to Miguel Cuneta. The car belonged to his father and the story he told me was one day he had been walking through a wrecking yard and spotted a familiar car, upon further examination, he found out it was his fathers old car that was presumed scrapped. He purchased the car back and restored it. This is just a 19 year old kid at the time. Sorry to see him trying to sell it. I helped him find the Marchal lights for it. He sent me several great photos of it, and on it's maiden Concours Show, won best paint award and was presented the award by Barry McGuire himself. Great kid. And the 1350 cars bit, That is what we were up to when I talked to him, but have found many more since, and the search continues.

Attachments

• manilla1.jpg
    manilla1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Manilla2.jpg
    Manilla2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Beautiful car indeed. If it sells for $80k, I am going to export mine to Philippines. Just kidding.... Hopefully mine will stay in the family forever --- my 7 yr old loves the car and he's already got a pretty good collection of diecast collectors cars. He's been telling me to get a Candyapple red California special replica.

On the 1350 cars, here's my take on it... Currently there are 572 cars in the registry. let's double that for cars yet to register... so I think the 1350 estimate would be in the ball park.

Mosesatm

Beautiful car indeed. If it sells for $80k, I am going to export mine to Philippines. Just kidding.... Hopefully mine will stay in the family forever --- my 7 yr old loves the car and he's already got a pretty good collection of diecast collectors cars. He's been telling me to get a Candyapple red California special replica.

On the 1350 cars, here's my take on it... Currently there are 572 cars in the registry. let's double that for cars yet to register... so I think the 1350 estimate would be in the ball park.

There are roughly 1435 cars in Mike's official registry and we keep finding more. The reason I say 'roughly' is because of a dozen mysterious cars that require more research.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

There are roughly 1435 cars in Mike's official registry and we keep finding more. The reason I say 'roughly' is because of a dozen mysterious cars that require more research.

Is Mike's list different than what's listed on this site? When I click on Registry, master list, it shows 572 cars. Sorry, I was confused.

Midnight Special

...I generally tell people around half of the 4118 are probably still around (casually). Both Renee and I have also met owners who despite our efforts, aren't interested or never follow up on getting into the registry...

Mosesatm

Is Mike's list different than what's listed on this site? When I click on Registry, master list, it shows 572 cars. Sorry, I was confused.

Yes, the on-line registry is composed of only cars entered through this site. Jon has looked at ways to update it with all the other cars but if I remember correctly software issues are preventing the inclusion of the data.

Mosesatm

This car ended at $19,000 ($20,500 with the buyer's fee) with no sale today at the Mecum Monterey auction.

Attachments

• Mecum Yellow Front.jpg
    Mecum Yellow Front.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Mecum Yellow Rear.jpg
    Mecum Yellow Rear.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 16

clubpro

Interesting that Mecum says the cars has the original yellow paint. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that yellow was available on the 68 Mustang.

Cheers,

Ron