• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT VS A Non GT California special.

teamlo

That's really cool Kerry! Do you know if the Marti report on these cars indicated a "Local Promotion" on the order type? I owned a Local Promotion car years ago, sold out of NJ.

At the time I bought my current car, I was also looking at another '68 GT coupe, very highly optioned car including radial tires and front seat head rests (I actually think it is still the most highly optioned small block coupe I have ever come across). It was a GT, but not a Cal Special. I still have the Marti report on it.

Terry

teamlo

sportyworty

Hi Terry, unfortunately it was not a called out promotion but rather a huge error by the purchasing agent at the dealership. There was a guy following and documenting these cars up in Washington state but unfortunately he passed away before uploading his findings to the internet. I beleive he had located 8 of the consecutive order vins. His thought was the dealership accidently checked the quantity box wrong (obviously) and Ford built them. They were never going to get them sold so made a promotion as the "Lightweight" poor mans Shelby. It certainly has the sounds of tale of sorts but the fact remains that there exists a group of vins built to these specs. Interesting none the less and a fun story to share