• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

HD 3 spd in 1967?

Gatorbait

Does anybody know why Ford offered a HD 3spd option in 1967 (code 3)? I have an S code GT convertible with one. I have maybe seen 1 or 2 others ever. It was more money than the 4 speed, I believe.

OP
OP
G

Gatorbait

But why a special heavy duty 3 spd with the big block?..apparently only offered in 67. All the 390 cars I have ever seen other than mine, and 1 or 2 others, have a 4 spd or a C-6 auto.

Mosesatm

With all the bottom-end grunt of a 390 I'd think a 3-speed would be a great choice. An abundance of gears really are not needed with that much torque.
As an example, Chevy successfully ran and raced their 2-speed automatics for years.

In my old 4-speed 289 GT/CS I considered 2nd gear pretty much a waste of time. It was good for getting out of the snow, though.

Since the car could reach nearly 60mph in 1st I could easily skip 2nd & go straight to 3rd if I wanted to. 3rd was the fun gear and 4th was just the gas mileage gear.

390cs68rcode

I don't use 2nd gear in my CJ. It has a close ratio gearbox so it is pretty much worthless.

I thought only 4 speeds and c-6's were available for BB cars.

OP
OP
G

Gatorbait

Seems to make sense. It is a really rare option, and only for 67. It is a stepped up 3 spd from the small block cars.