• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood pin cutouts

dalorzo_f

In looking at the CS when cleaning it up and debugging a fuel delivery problem I notice the cutouts in the hood are pretty ragged.

I believe the car has had a front ender in its past, the lower valence has black backside, sign of later repro or more recent Ford replacement as I believe OEM was red primer, one headlight bucket appears to be a replacement.

Wondering if the hood may have been damaged and replaced, and a DIY-er did the cutouts. Anyone got photos of how they came from the factory?

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Factory or no, pretty agricultural! I'm thinking PO fix...

CIMG0008.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

franklinair

The original/factory cutouts I have seen were round, 2" diameter +/_.

Neil

obwan93001

Pics of my CS's cutouts...

I just went out and snapped a few shots of mine and although they don't look as clean as the one that Bill took of his they are original as I'm 99.9% certain my hood is original to my CS as per the factory paint and condition that matches the rest of what's left of the original Diamond Blue paint on the entire car. Your's (dalorzo_f) appear original however do look like they were "massaged" a bit when they bolted down the big washer to the hood. Mine appear a little ragged around the edges but is due to the rust from coolant and battery leaks in the past. I've attached the pics I took, hope we can help you determine if orig or DIY.

Oscar

Attachments

• PIC_0390.jpg
    PIC_0390.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PIC_0393.jpg
    PIC_0393.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 37

nfrntau

Dalorzo, is the small hole in your hood truly round? Also, it appears you have screws or nuts on the bottom side near your pin holes. What does the top portion of your hood twist locks look like. I have not seen screws/nuts in any of the prior photos or on cars I have looked at. The top plate under the twist locks is held to the hood with a double sided tape although many use silicone or other similar sealants.
I cannot say if persons with original hoods ever had a problem with the top plate delaminating from the hood surface.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The Shelby's had the big washer attached with 4 rivets (as opposed to the adhesive tape on the GT/CS & HCS) They also had a second big washer on the underside of the hood. The rivets sandwiched the fiberglass hood between these two washers. http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/sup...y/registry/15272/66397

Since Dalorzo's are clearly bolts it's pretty obvious that part was done by a previous owner. Curious what the head of the bolt looks like from up top. It also looks like they used some sort of adhesive too (white goo squeezing out)

Dalorzo, your holes do look a bit more ragged than others I've seen. But that could be from rust or corrosion over the years. Kind of hard to tell for sure. But the factory holes were definitely not nicely machined with squeaky clean edges. You can see the burring of the metal from the hole saw they used.

obwan93001

...the lower valence has black backside, sign of later repro or more recent Ford replacement as I believe OEM was red primer...

The lower front valance w/underside painted black is most likely a later Ford service replacement part. Last year I picked up an NOS front valance painted black which was wrapped in heavy brown paper w/Ford logos on it and plastic shipping straps. Per the packaging and labels it appears to be from the '80s or '90s although I don't know when Ford stopped using red primer and started using black and when they stopped making replacement parts for our cars so not sure.

Could mean that your CS was in a bender in the past thus the different valance and the one headlight bucket, how do all the other front end parts/sheetmetal look?

Oscar

murf104

You can probably find the date stamped on yur hood inner structure if you look closely. That should remove all doubt about it being the original or a replacement. I think the date is near the cowl end of the hood and on the stamped support structure.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I can't get my head down under the lower lip of the hood to find a date stamp. Ones I've seen are on the trailing edge, no easy sight angle while its on the car.

The plates under the locks have 3 small bolts. The locking twist pins pull right out. The "white goo" is just paint or corrosion, or painted corrosion....

The underside shows reddish paint under the white. Its either the red primer, or a prior body color, hard to tell wihtout scraping, maybe later...

I'm leaning towards a repalcement. But as it is a period correct hood, not a big deal if its not the one from the factory to me.

Funny thing about this car, it's from Fremont, California. Got a few reciepts for transmission and engine work done in Hayward in the late 80's. At that time I was living in Oakland. Lived there from '87 until 2001. I'll bet I drove past this very car at least once with all the travel I did up and down between Oakland, San Jose and San Ramon....

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Ironically tonight I was looking at the 1968 TV commercial for the GT/CS and noticed that it show a close up of the hood locks. They're the Shelby style with large washer and 4 rivets.

Check out the video at about 0:40 seconds in.

Attachments

• GTCS TV commercial hood locks.jpg
    GTCS TV commercial hood locks.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Damn.... all the women didn't come with mine... but they'd be 40 years older now... maybe that's a good thing!:smile:

Here are some shots of the pins on mine. As tha screw spacing seems unven I'm guessing a PO drilled them to hold.

HOOD_PINS_08.jpg

HOOD_PINS_08.jpg

HOOD_PINS_011.jpg

HOOD_PINS_010.jpg

nfrntau

The pin pulling out of the hood is an easy one to solve. Take the pin to your local hardware store, ironmonger or DIY and get a retaining ring for it. Will set you back way less than $1. It fits in the little groove right next to your thunb in your photo. This will make it just a tad tougher for a thief to remove your pin for you.

Attachments

• ExternalRetainingRings_602509_CatImg.jpg
    ExternalRetainingRings_602509_CatImg.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 170

CougarCJ

I took some pictures of the under side of my freshly media blasted hood.

Mine does show some splitting in the metal as shown by the dark lines. Looks like the same hole as the others? I am fairly confident that this is the original hood to this car, all of the paint matched on the underside to the rest of the car that had paint. My car is believed to be one of the Mustangs re-directed to be a GT/CS in preparation for filling the pipeline after the debut on Feb 17. My Mustang was built on Feb 5 (05B) and released on 02/19/1968.