• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Interior restoration

Jester

I am about to start the interior restoration of my car and started to question if the pad/flat area behind the back seat really is the original material. To me it looks just like a painted piece of board. I attach a close up, is this what I should look like?

OP
OP
J

Jester

Now the attachment...

Attachments

• bild.JPG
    bild.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 36

gtcs1

Yes it was painted hard board.

This is made from what is called Masonite, 1/8" thick, just painted your color. One side of it is like your picture. This side is the one visible, facing up. Your lumber yard should have that.

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks, then I just need to repaint what I already have. Any ideas on paint? My interior is black standard.

stangfan

I repainted one years back. As I remember it just sucked the paint up. You would probably be fine using a basic black spray bomb.

franklinair

I put a sealer coat on first, then the color. The board is very porous and acts like a sponge sucking the paint otherwise.

Neil

rvrtrash

I've used "Kilz" as a primer before applying paint. Do it outside and let it air out.

Steve

Mosesatm

That's a great idea! I tried using automotive primer in a can but the panel sucked it up just like it was paint.

Ruppstang

I use 2 brushed coats of polyurethane finish then sand lightly then it is ready to paint.