• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 It's saved....

hookedtrout

I would have to agree with the comment that there needs to be a few preserved for the future generations to see what they were like when they were new. Shown to the masses at the car shows so they can appreciate what a neat idea the CS really was back in the day. I'm just dang glad you guys are the ones going to all the trouble so I don't have to. ;-)

I want to dump the clutch and smoke the tires when no ones looking, spin gravel all the way down my 200 yard long driveway with my 13 year old in the passenger seat all the while telling him he better not be doing stuff like that when he gets his drivers license, and let him take it on a date once he can drive knowing he'll be spinning the tires and eventually hand over the keys to my oldest son when it will mean more to him than it does to me.

Don't take my dogging you concours guys as a slam, I have the utmost respect for what you go through, it must be a huge undertaking to get them there and keep them there. I don't have the time or money to play that game and probably wouldn't if I could so I just...well play with what I have.

Someday I hope to see a concours GT/CS it would really be neat to see one like the day they rolled...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks for posting that!!!

Interesting video, will keep it in mind once the X code coupe I bought today arrives (probably two months from now) and the transformation begins...

Midnight Special

...Hmm, X code coupe. Neat! Perfect start for a GH transformation...

'Studied and admired Shelby's for many years, but by the time I could consider owning one, the practicality of driving and getting the most out of the real thing had long passed.

Enter the Cal Specials... but to me, this video is bittersweet. To see that original GH creation after all that preceded as Carroll's vision, I'm reminded that we'll always be preserving a mere marketing tag-along (GT/CS) of what was a much bigger picture...

So I say "clone" away!.. Make that car as lean & powerful from the inside as its awesome appearance on the outside, and to a standard & spirit that could provoke Shelby himself to pull up a stool and say "thanks! Some of you boys really do get it"!

Then, take it out and drive it like there's no tomorrow! The reality is, there are no guarantees there will be one.....>

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

The '68 S code convertible was a 7 year nuts-and-bolts resto. it drives on nice weekends, many of my friends think I'm crazy to drive it, let alone park it and walk away!

The Cal Speical is a regualr drive, fun C code.

Once the S GT coupe is done, been 4 years in the making and will likely be done this year, it will be driven as well.

So once the GH replica is done, I'm guessing 2-3 years, those wheels will go round regularly...

:smile:

DeadStang

Thanks for posting that!!!

Interesting video, will keep it in mind once the X code coupe I bought today arrives (probably two months from now) and the transformation begins...

Is it just a plain X-code Coupe? Sounds interesting... I still kick myself for passing on one locally a couple of years back for $4,500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yes, about as plain as one can get. Late style '68 (as all were), Lime Gold/Ivy Gold, disc brakes, power steering, AM radio, black accent stripe, 2.75 rear, C6, F70x14's w/white sidewall and deluxe wheel covers.

Didn't get it for the nice price you noted, but a reasonable value for what it is...

GT/CS S Code

I must admit, one reason we don't take it out of the garage as often as we might is because of the collector car insurance restrictions (no running errands, no taking to work, etc.).

Just re-licenced our GT/CS yesterday morning (for pleasure use only) for a 6 month period and it ran just under $400.00 in total. Our BC Insurance for pleasure use only is no driver under 10 years experience, no more than 6 times per calendar month to and from work, school, or university, etc. What does your insurance typically run in cost compared to that?

Took it for a nice run out the highway last night after it had been sitting in the garage over the winter with storage insurance on it. Ran it about once a month in the driveway to keep the battery up and the exhaust system dry. When I turned around and ran back in the highway to head home I stopped by the local Chevron to top her up with Super Premium (94 octane) GT/CS "jet fuel" ... to the tune of $97.00! The "good stuff" is running about $1.60 per litre up here right now, or about $6.00 per American gallon.

... but ya' gotta pay to play!
:grin:

hookedtrout

To license my C.S. it was $62.83 for 2 years. To insure my C.S. through Haggarty for a year was between $170 and $190, forget exactly how much it was now.