• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Just got my CS

CraigB

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on the forum for a few years now on and off. I have just taken delivery of an Acapulco Blue J Code '68 CS. She is in pretty good condition being a northern California car her whole life and treated well, only one star crack on the trunk lid and a few small stone chips. I will be shipping her back to Australia so she can be the stable mate to my Brittany Blue '67 390 GTA convertible. Obviously I have not got them both together yet as they are on different continents but I think they will be a pretty good pair with the similar colors and white side stripes.

I have always admired the CS for its unique shelby like styling and finally the opportunity arose to buy one. I want to use her as a 3 days a week sort of car rather than the 3 days a month car that the GTA has become due to it being a convertible and one of only 187 big block GTA convertibles built (it is the only one I know of in Australia). Also the added safety features of 3 point seat belts, head rests and a slightly more padded steering wheel of the CS means I will be more comfortable driving it in traffic.

Whereas the GTA is Left Hand Drive I intend converting the CS to Right Hand Drive and add modern A/C, while apart I will probably add rear disc brakes to enhance the safety a bit (rear brake opinions wanted). Still considering whether to add rack and pinion steer or a RHD steering box (I am interested in opinions on this also).

I will keep everyone up to date on my progress. There are a few CS' in Australia (probably about 10) but none I know of that are RHD so it should be fun.

Cheers,

Craig

vman

Hey Craig. I Have mine in R.H.D. When mine was converted a few years ago(prior owners) It was done with the xw falcon steering box. I have no trouble with the steering.It is a little tight when it comes to the turning circle but you come to expect that from a car of that age. I am running 235 wide tyres on the front also.
Any way good to see another c/s in Australia. I am thinking that the figure of c/s's is probably close to 30 with about 4-5 J codes

OP
OP
CraigB

CraigB

It is good to know there are that many CS's in Australia, we should try and get them together one day. I have only even seen 2 for sale in the past 5 years so they are obviously precious. I am planning on using an XF Falcon power steering box, same principal as the XW.

vman

I would love to get them together but Sydney is just that bit to far for me to travell. As far as the xf steering goes it makes good sense for the later model steering box. I think a lot of the other suspension components are the same as the falcon to. Any help or information that you need I will try and help with. (to the best of my knowledge) as I am a bit of a novice. Love to see some pics of your car posted on the site. Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome Craig! Nice to hear from CS owners across the pond.

And don't forget to post photos. There's no such thing as too many photos!