• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale Mustang GT/CS (California Special) Recognition Guide and Owner's Manual #501

speedy02

1676498429474.png

The Mustang GT/CS Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual by Paul M. Newitt and licensed by Ford is a hardbound, full color 224 page detailed story of the limited-edition 1968 Ford Mustang--which was created just for California. The story of how the California-Crazy car culture in the 1960s prompted the marketing of Mustang's first factory-produced special edition is described in incredible detail - from the inspiration of Shelby's "Little Red" coupe to the development by Ford Design to become 4,118 GT/California Specials. The story continues with the marketing plan by J.Walter Thompson and California's Ford Dealer's Association to bring this Mustang to market in the spring of 1968. A detailed account of the GT/CS variant, the "High Country Special," sold in the Denver sales district is also included. Detailed production statistics, rare factory photos, authentication, options, accessories, specific part descriptions and comprehensive Concours restoration information are covered, along with the complete stories of the Shelby prototype coupes "Little Red," and the EXP-500 "Green Hornet." A separate chapter is devoted to the development, prototypes and production of the 2007-09 and 2011 GT/CS, and a complete GT/CS Owner Registry of 1,300 cars with photos rounds out the volume. Each book is beautifully bound, signed and numbered. A very special, limited edition for Mustang collectors!

Author: Paul M. Newitt

Mustang GT/CS (California Special) - Recognition Guide and Owner's Manual

#501 /2000

Over 26 years of hard work and research of the Mustang GT/CS has been culminated into one complete book--that's raised awareness of this unique Mustang marque throughout the world!

Since the release of this book in April, 2011, there are now far less copies, if any, available of this limited edition of 2,000 copies. This is #501 of 2000.

Each specially numbered book is signed by The author.. Paul M. Newitt.(See Photo)

There are NO plans to reprint this book. If you've been wanting a copy, NOW is the time to get one, since this could be your last and only chance.

This book covers the original history of the inception of a Mustang created by Ford-- just for the California market in 1968, followed by the identification and restoration of the 1968 version.

YES! It includes Marti Auto Works production data for the 1968 GT/CS: by Color, Interior, Engines, Options, etc. ITS ALL THERE!!

For Late Model GT/CS owners, a 24-page chapter, entitled "Repeat Performance" describes in great detail the revival of the GT/CS Mustang for the 2007 model year, beginning with concept models and development prototypes. See the CHAMP CAR World Series GT/CS Pace cars, AAI factory photos, GT/CS parts development, options lists, GT/CS promotion and advertising, detailed production numbers, Ford Racing parts listing, aftermarket items, and even side stripe installation specs (2007-09)! 2011 GT/CS specs and identification photos are included as well.

This book IS A “GREAT INVESTMENT” and was created just for you--the GT/CS owner....to show the world just how Special your GT/CS truly is!

This EXCLUSIVE Book Offer Includes:

· Beautiful Hardbound Textured Black Cover w/ Chrome Foil impression of early and late model GT/CS stripe logos.

· Signed (by the author: Paul M. Newitt) and numbered signature page with embossed seal. This is #501/2000

· Metal tag stamped with book number (inside back cover, lower left corner. See picture)

· Ford License identification tag

· 224 color pages, high quality printing

· Over 60,000 words

· Over 400 photographs and diagrams

· History - Recognition - Authenticity

· Parts descriptions with every detail, assembly procedures & specifications.

· 1968 GT/CS Concourse Restoration info with paint codes and color illustrations for undercarriage and suspension.

· A 23 page GT/CS Registry with 1,350 cars & GT/CS owner car photos.

· Complete history of the 2007-09 and 2011 GT/CS.

· Detailed histories of Shelby's 1967-68 prototype coupes- "Little Red" and "The Green Hornet".

franklinair

The book may not reach $500 on this bid, but it will in the not-too-distant future. The book is a wealth of information & GT/CS details. A "must-have" for a serious collector. The photo/artwork is perfect. Give Paul Newitt credit- he created an outstanding piece of historical data & detailed info for restoration.
(In all fairness, Paul & I did not part as friends. But I do give credit for quality workmanship.)

Neil

di81977

My comment was not a knock on Paul, or the quality of the book. I own one. If Marti AutoWorks web store is up to date, you can buy a new copy for $100. Paul’s own website says he has copies he will sign for $400 each. Maybe they are all sold, but it doesn’t look that way.

CougarCJ

There are probably less unsigned copies, than signed copies out in circulation. Maybe after 10 years, it has finally sold out... maybe?

Ricky Knapik

Absolutely love the book. Always referring to it! Just sent a couple pics a few days ago to someone in need.

DanTeets

Marti website says out of stock and Paul sold the last handful he had on the GT/CS Facebook group page a few years ago.

greyfoxart

I don't see anywhere that has the books for sale other than's Paul's website. And yes, they are listed at $400 on his website.

Not sure why he only printed $2,000 copies, seems like an odd number. Why not at least 4,000 copies.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

I don't see anywhere that has the books for sale other than's Paul's website. And yes, they are listed at $400 on his website.

Not sure why he only printed $2,000 copies, seems like an odd number. Why not at least 4,000 copies.
I would say it was about the money. Also, he was the registry person during the time the book was created. If I remember correctly he only had 1300 cars registered. So he would be setting on 700 books and that is if everyone registered bought one. Arlie will have to correct me if I am wrong but I think we are only up to 1730 currently. The book is now 12 years old and we are still under his 2000 book count.

greyfoxart

gotcha, I emailed him directly on his website and haven't heard back. It says he has 10 left and I don't see it available anywhere else.

Does anyone on here have extras they want to sell?