• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Mustang GT/CS convertible ?

Modulec

Hello all,

I'm from Canada, and I'm a big mustang fan.

I'm new here, I just saw this one yesterday in a local Mustang show :

075-1.jpg

076.jpg

I dont have a lot of knowledge, but I dont think that this model is a real one.

Did you know if this car is a clone of a GT/CS, or is it a real convertible edition ?

Thanks,

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome from the great white north!

That's a nice looking car, but no, not a real California Special. They were only made as coupes.

It seems a no brainer for Ford to have made the GT/CS in convertible form considering it was made for California with it's sunny weather and beaches, but it simply wasn't the case.

A few nice "tribute" convertibles have been made over the years. I got pics of this "Okie Special" at an AZ show several years ago.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=7

vbpgimage.php

di81977

Here is one that I owned, but recently sold. They look nice as convertibles, too bad they never made one.

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 53
  • picture 9.jpg
    picture 9.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
M

Modulec

Thanks for the feedback, I was not sure when I saw it, because many details was in place.

But I note on the hood; it should get rotatives locks.

J_Speegle

Still think there is a possibility that a dealer produced some (yes I know ;)

But still unable to prove it - so the search continues and of course as years pass it become more difficult to prove :(

Got to have those windmills :eek:

robert campbell

Jeff,
I agree with you! I bet some convertibles were converted at a dealer to move them in 1968. I think the earliest of GT/CS cars may have been dealer converted or who knows. Maybe converted from a large backlog of cars on the line and moved over for conversion but will never be Marti verified because they were ordered as a non-GT/CS car.

I think recessed reflectors will make possible cars converted on the line. Notice this car is an early car with the recessed reflectors. I would like to see the VIN number.

Rob

dalorzo_f

Would availability and cost of the Shelby specific items and the extensive repaint really be a value add to move a convertible?

All the fiberglass, tail panel lights, grille, hood cutouts, wiring (less hassle if it had fogs already, but still need the new taillamp harness at a minimum to run the Tbird lights), badging and stripes.

Very doable but a "big" cost (the GT/CS package added about $200 to the base, ~8%) to move a car that was not selling, easier to drop the price a bit and dump it than spend all that time effort to increase the price on a hope to sell?

A fairly extensive effort.

Agree it is likely someone had it done, but can't see it as a money spinner for a dealer with all the work that would have to be done.

rvrtrash

I don't care if they are "original" or not. I like the look, but then I also like the "Little Red"/"Green Hornet" look with the Shelby nose on a coupe. If I had the money and space, I'd have a clone of the conv., a CS, and a GH, all painted the same, with modern suspension/ steering and a 5.0 Coyote motor backed by a 6 speed. My oldest son thinks I need all the above, with twin turbo's on each one.

Steve

franklinair

Richard is 100% correct: Coupe-to-convertible conversion requires inner frame rails, different rear inner fender wells, forward trunk crossmember with drain gutter, conv top & mechanism, top cylinders, motor, switch, wiring, header trim (across top of windshield), deck molding, well liner. Then cut off the coupe top (measure twice, cut once). Very labor intensive. Been there, done that- 3 times. (Never again :eek:)

Neil

J_Speegle

Would availability and cost of the Shelby specific items and the extensive repaint really be a value add to move a convertible?
........................Agree it is likely someone had it done, but can't see it as a money spinner for a dealer with all the work that would have to be done.

Think for pricing you need to look at what a small block Shelby Convertible was selling for and of course cars would likely have had to have been converted IMHO after April to have many of the parts available to a regular dealer.

I've searched at the state library for ads - thinking that its doubtful that any dealer putting in the effort to build some would not advertise them at least for a month - with no results.

But the number of convertibles in the Central Valley in the early 70-80's was hard to ignore. That and the fact that none of them were modified (other than that Calif Special) - something I found odd given my hot rod background. Not a set of headers, aftermarket wheels, maybe one had an aftermarket stereo. If only I had collected the VIN's from those cars we could now see what dealer each came from to see if (just possibly) they all came from the same dealer.

As mentioned a very long shot but still is one of those that sits in my memory ;)

A subject that always gets the posts flowing

robert campbell

Richard is 100% correct: Coupe-to-convertible conversion requires inner frame rails, different rear inner fender wells, forward trunk crossmember with drain gutter, conv top & mechanism, top cylinders, motor, switch, wiring, header trim (across top of windshield), deck molding, well liner. Then cut off the coupe top (measure twice, cut once). Very labor intensive. Been there, done that- 3 times. (Never again :eek:)

Neil

Dad,
Not a coupe to convertible conversion. A convertible to GT/CS conversion. Add the trunk lid, taillights, stripes, fogs, scripts, and the side scoops. a nothing conversion for a dealer. Piece of cake and heck an easy seller. I agree with Jeff. It must have been done! Cheap, cheap, cheap for a dealer and wow, all the looks of a Shelby for a fraction of the cost.....

I want the vin number of the early convertible car with the recessed reflectors!

Rob

franklinair

Ohhh, never mind. (sometimes my sins of the past return to haunt me):scared:
I was thinking of a scenario of maintaining a CS coupe VIN (with the exception of the body code (01 versus 03).
To modify a convertible to a CS appearance would be relatively easy in comparison to modifying a coupe, and I would designate it as a 'Tribute' rather than a clone.
The modified convertibles DO look sharp. (Ford missed a great opportunity IMHO)

Neil

Midnight Special

...I thought I read as a matter of policy that Ford deliberately avoided convertible and fastback CSs so as to not compete with Shelby models. That's not to say a dealer wouldn't do it, but likely very few as the option was not a hot seller...

Last edited:

whodat

Came across this one at a car show near me this past weekend. I can't upload at this time.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Add the trunk lid, taillights, stripes, fogs, scripts, and the side scoops. A nothing conversion for a dealer. Piece of cake and heck an easy seller.

Forgot drilling the hood, replacing the full grille, adding Lucas lights and fog light wiring (a PITA job to do right), removing the badges and bondo/weld (repaint the fender, now you've nearly repainted the entire car....).

I'd be surprised if a couple days work were "nothing" to a dealers margins.

As noted, very doable, and probably done somewhere, sometime... but still far short of a Shelby in looks, interior trim, accessories, and performance. Something to put in the showroom window to attract attention...