• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Newbie Wanting Advice

Doug Allen

I have been lurking for a short time. I have owned many mustangs. 68 Convertible, 67 Fastback and 68 Mustang In Black Restomod project featured on covers of Mustang Monthly and Mustangs & Fords February of 2007. Last but not least I currently own one of the original 64.5 pace cars (still in many pieces). All this being said...I buy them I don't build them so I am still a newbie when it comes to the technical aspect of all this. With all this in my rear view mirror I have always wanted a California Special. I want something that is clean and that I can drive....also I prefer Black or Red.

You knew there was eventually going to be a point to all this eh...here is the point. What do you all think of this car? INcluded in this answer assuming eveything they say is true what is it worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250306942358

I have asked the seller questions about the restoration as the pics aren't that great and why the car seems to sit so high. Appreciate any feedback you could provide.

classicsguy

I also noticed that car seems to high but maybe incorrect or newer springs is the reason. Someone at this forum may correct me.

franklinair

I'd ask the seller as to why the car sits so high. My GUESS would be new coil springs on the front, and air shocks on the rear - inflated too much.

Neil

Mosesatm

The 2 things that bother me about this car are the black underside (should be red oxide) and it seems to me that the fender scripts are too high.

Perkchiro

I would question this gentleman's restoration skills. The car rides way too high, possibly due to a suspension kit with a lift of 1 or 2 inches. The bottom of the car should have been red oxide as Arlie pointed out. Also, take a look at the weather strip in the trunk. It's mounted on the car, not the trunk lid. I hate to be a critic, but if these obvious flaws can be spotted in the pictures, it makes me wonder and doubt some of the other finer details of the restoration. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Mustanglvr

It looks like a nice car and the seller has great feedback. The car does seem to be sitting too high.

Midnight Special

...Certainly won't win any concours awards, but if you're going to drive & enjoy it - it sure appears beautiful to me.

There is alot there that isn't "correct" per se, so I wouldn't view it as an accurate GT/CS restoration and I agree...Too HIGH.

If all systems are working and performance is good - it will be every bit the attraction to all but the purists, but again; TOO HIGH!

I wonder what his reserve price is?...

cnassif

It kinda bothers me that he put so much work into but missed a lot of details, like some of the others have said. Why would you replace the suspension, front brakes, coil springs (apparently), paint the underside wrong, put the correct Autolite battery cap on the battery and miss the decals and tags?

Methinks he's trying to fool you.

GTCSMustang

Here are the Ford specs for ride height.

Ride heights are measured from the ground to the highest most point of the wheel well opening (which should be though the center of the wheel).

For Mustang with standard suspension:

Front - 26.68 tolerance +1.00 and -0.70
Rear - 25.39 tolerance +1.00 and -0.75

For Mustang with GT and Special Handling Package:

Front - 26.49 tolerance +1.00 and -0.70
Rear - 25.49 tolerance +1.00 and -0.75

All dimensions are for Mustang with:

Full tank of fuel
All engine fluids at full
Spare tire with wheel in design position
Front seat at rearmost position
Jack and components in design position
Tires inflated to 24-psi front and rear (for ride height evaluations only)
6.95-14 tires

Adjustments for other tires:
E70-14 subtract 0.10
7.35 x 14 add 0.20
F70-14 add 0.30
FR70-14 same as 6.95-14

All dimensions in inches

You might ask the owner for these measurements on his car just to see how far off it is.

Scott

CALIF GIRL

The gas cap is a GT cas cap, not the corralled mustang that is on most CS's. The front fender "mustang" script appears really high.

aemoo28

Doug, listen to these people. They saved me last year from buying a red J code here in Wa. I knew nothing back then, just that I was excited to get a '68, and I'm glad I was encouraged to skip this particular car. I believe I was told to "run from this car".

You'll get the right car. I did. Black is a purty color too.

OP
OP
D

Doug Allen

Step away from the car

I guess I will go with the saying....if things seem too good to be true they probably are not true....thanks everyone for your help. If anyone knows of a nice Red or Black GT/CS....I am your guy!!!
Regards,
Doug

rvrtrash

I'm late to this party because I just got home from a long weekend, but I'd like to say something about the car's underside. I painted all my suspension parts with chassis black and then undercoated the body, because I don't live in California. I decided it was more important to protect the car than score a few points at a show I'd never enter anyway. I drive my cars, and if need be, the undercoating can be removed, easier than rust. Bottom line, the bottom of my car looks much the same as this one. In fact, they could just as easily be pictures of mine. I wouldn't buy any car without looking it over, but I wouldn't dismiss one just because it wasn't MCA Concours Gold. :rolleyes:

Steve

franklinair

Amen, Steve. If I were building for MCA judging I'd go with the correct red belly. But for practicality & ease, I drive black belly Mustangs!!

Neil

Mosesatm

My problem with the black floors is only in context to why they are black. If he just liked black better than red oxide, then great, more power to him. One red flag checked off the list. But if the restorer didn't know they were supposed to be red then I'd start wondering about what else he didn't know.

Adding the floors to the fender scripts and the stance gives it enough strikes to make me nervous. Not anti, just nervous.

Now if it the body was painted the wrong color I'd just flat-out lose it.:wink:

franklinair

Doug said he's looking for a black or red C/S. There was a NICE black C/S witha red deluxe interior. The ad referenced Dallas Mustang. It might be worth a call to them. The Buy It Now price was $17,900, reserve not met. As I recall, Marti verification, 289- now 302, A/T, A/C.

Neil

RedGTvert

Doug said he's looking for a black or red C/S. There was a NICE black C/S witha red deluxe interior. The ad referenced Dallas Mustang. It might be worth a call to them. The Buy It Now price was $17,900, reserve not met. As I recall, Marti verification, 289- now 302, A/T, A/C.

Neil

This is the car you were speaking about. I had spoken with the owner the first time he had it up on Ebay. Kind of vague with some of the details, but seems like a decent car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J.Bart

i would ask for bigger pictures, i can't read the marti report.
the car just doesn't look right.