• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Normallly SD parts are underwhelming...

dalorzo_f

Tried out the "new and improved" '68 kick panels (black).

Have to say the overall fit was pretty good. Unfortunately the screw holes were off, about 1/4" high on the upper and the front lower was also out by 1/4" too far back. But not sure how dead-on accurate the factory locations were... drilling two holes was better than trimming, wrestling with a part that doesn't fit as some past repros I've used required...

Overall I'd give 'em an 8 out of 10...

franklinair

I have mixed emotions about SD. Some of their stuff is pretty good. I ordered an inside rear view mirror last month. Awful. It's going in the trash

Neil

Ruppstang

When ever I use a reproduction part I am amazed how much better a Ford part that was made with half the technology we have today is.

stangfan

Tried out the "new and improved" '68 kick panels (black).

Have to say the overall fit was pretty good. Unfortunately the screw holes were off, about 1/4" high on the upper and the front lower was also out by 1/4" too far back. But not sure how dead-on accurate the factory locations were... drilling two holes was better than trimming, wrestling with a part that doesn't fit as some past repros I've used required...

Overall I'd give 'em an 8 out of 10...

I am assuming that you didn't need to dye them a different colour. In my case, I would need to spray them dark red. Given the need to change colour, do you think I would be better off just getting the Scott Drake kick panels in red and drilling the holes?

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Neil,

The NPD '68-'69 repro is not too bad. Lever is the wrong color, a typical minor item on a repro one would think they could have gotten right with a tiny bit more effort... but... the overall look is close and they seem to work OK.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_mirror_inside_day_and_night-102798-313.html

What was the issue with the Drake, just "wrong" or..??? Know they sell a 68-69 that is totally wrong, black stem, attached to mirror not the original clamshell style, flip day/night switch is fore/aft and not side-to-side and its a hard plastic case that is a pretty lame part... C8AZ-17700-A , anyone here wanting correct should avoid that one...

robert campbell

My thoughts are that the holes for the kick panel vary a lot from car to car as they came off the assembly line. And then there are the different assembly plants.

I vote for no holes and let me template and drill them. Or you can just re-drill a new hole in the body to accommodate the kick panel hole.

Rob

stangfan

My thoughts are that the holes for the kick panel vary a lot from car to car as they came off the assembly line. And then there are the different assembly plants.

I vote for no holes and let me template and drill them. Or you can just re-drill a new hole in the body to accommodate the kick panel hole.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Ruppstang

The big advantage in originals and the new Drake ones are there are reinforcements on the back that help stop the cracking from around the holes. It might work on the undrilled repops if a washer was epoxied to the back to stop the cracks.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

No dye. I have a black interior. I am unsure of the difference between these and the pre-colored. They did fit to the door line/seam very well... an area I have struggled with on other repros a few years back...

franklinair

Richard;
I got the SD mirror (black, plastic, not the clamshell extension) that you mentioned. Ordered thru CJ Pony Parts. Total Trash. I re-ordered one from NPD. Its OK.

Neil

CougarCJ

I suspect that Neil purchased the aftermarket Scott Drake rear view mirror, which is pretty cheesy. The SD 'concours' mirror is the late 1968 and 1969 mirror. Most of the GT/CS production used the side to side lever, we do not know the changeover date on the mirrors for Milpitas/San Jose.

Here is picture example of the 1967-73 Ford Mustang (and others) inside rear view mirror evolution.