• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Pretty excited!...

Midnight Special

...Just received an invite to fly aboard this B-17, "Memphis Belle" (from the movie) as sort of a return favor for arranging media flights for air shows in the past. We're also working hot & heavy on our Nevada County AirFest which thus far confirms six P-51 Mustangs to join 20+ other WWII Warbirds :)
Mark your calendars for July 12-13 if you're in NorCal and maybe want to display your GT/CS with some other historic iron!

www.ncairfest.com

Attachments

• mb-e.jpg
    mb-e.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 55
  • ramp09.jpg
    ramp09.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 56

franklinair

ALLRIGHT!! I had that aircraft here (1A5) several years ago for display. I think its since been restored. Enjoy.

Neil

sam

Excellent and lucky you! Riding in a B17 or P51 Mustang is on my bucket list to do this year! Hope to be able to arrange for this in my state of New Hampshire.
Sam

rvrtrash

Cool Tim! We expect to see pics of you as a waist gunner.

Steve

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Wearing my "Franklin Aviation" hat from Neil, no less...>
:)

Attachments

• _DSC0576.jpg
    _DSC0576.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_7099.jpg
    DSC_7099.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_7107.jpg
    DSC_7107.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
  • _DSC0567.jpg
    _DSC0567.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC0538.jpg
    _DSC0538.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 35
  • _DSC0518.jpg
    _DSC0518.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 34
  • _DSC0472.jpg
    _DSC0472.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 42
  • _DSC0672.jpg
    _DSC0672.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 40

PonyGal

Wow Tim...Those are GREAT shots!! I am so happy for you that you got the opportunity to do this!

It was really exciting for me too since I work just a mile or so from the airbase where you took off. I saw the plane come up over the trees and as soon as it made that first turn to the right and went over the freeway, my office is right there. I was out in the back parking lot waiting for you, and that plane was so close I could see every detail. Just pissed me off that as soon as it got really close so I could take a great picture, my darn camera chip was full and it would not let me get a single shot! But at least I got to see the plane fly over and I knew that you were in it!!

Thanks for keeping in phone contact with me so I could "participate". :wink:

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Wow Tim...Those are GREAT shots!! I am so happy for you that you got the opportunity to do this!

It was really exciting for me too since I work just a mile or so from the airbase where you took off. I saw the plane come up over the trees and as soon as it made that first turn to the right and went over the freeway, my office is right there. I was out in the back parking lot waiting for you, and that plane was so close I could see every detail. But at least I got to see the plane fly over and I knew that you were in it!!

Thanks for keeping in phone contact with me so I could "participate". :wink:

...Well Renee, I was too tall to fit into the ball turret, so with the radio room hatch removed, I was able to get you from the top of the plane (in a 140 MPH slip stream). :)

Attachments

• rftb.jpg
    rftb.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 32

PonyGal

Oh my God Tim!!! That is my building and I was right there behind those two movie screens watching for you! I felt the ground shaking when the plane went over it was that close to me!!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Oh my God Tim!!! That is my building and I was right there behind those two movie screens watching for you! I felt the ground shaking when the plane went over it was that close to me!!

...Okay, now I really got you. You're the little "dot" at the tip of the arrow, right?

Attachments

• rftb2.jpg
    rftb2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 42

PonyGal

YES...YES...YES!!! That's me!!! At that point I had realized that my camera was completely useless, so I started jumping up and down like a crazy person because I was so excited for you!! A couple of my co-workers, who happen to be walking by at that time, thought I had lost my marbles until I told them what was going on and what was up in the air.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Well, here's another pic from a distance :)

Also a picture from friend, Mark Loper as we passed across the tower and another from inside the plane. No such thing as a good hair day aboard a '17 ;-)

Attachments

• ftb3.jpg
    ftb3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 34
  • mlpr.jpg
    mlpr.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 28
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

robert campbell

that pic of you hanging out the side..... Christopher Lloyd came to mind.... Emmett "Doc" Brown of Back to the Future!!!

somethingspecial

...Exactly Mike!, but I lost my damn reading glasses (and Neil's hat) during take-off and set the time machine to 1945 instead of '85! I'm at some airfield in England now... waiting for a bolt of lightning!!!

Wow Tim, Since you are in England in 1945, finding bolts for a Lightning should not be to hard, just check in at the repair hanger. Do me a favor, pick up a couple of cases of Thompson SMGs while your there, they were part of Lend/Lease.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Wow Tim, Since you are in England in 1945, finding bolts for a Lightning should not be to hard, just check in at the repair hanger. Do me a favor, pick up a couple of cases of Thompson SMGs while your there, they were part of Lend/Lease.

...Too late for that, Mike. I'm back, but......Somethin' aint right....>

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 52

PonyGal

Hey Tim, or should I call you "Doc"???

I was checking my camera and I did manage to get one solitary shot of the B-17 as you were taking off...

Attachments

• IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Hey Tim, or should I call you "Doc"???

I was checking my camera and I did manage to get one solitary shot of the B-17 as you were taking off...

Fabulous, Renee! At that moment I was shooting the airport from the radio compartment. Soon after that, you were under our right wing :)

Attachments

• DSC_7087.jpg
    DSC_7087.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_7097.jpg
    DSC_7097.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 37