• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear spring bolt cover plug

Ruppstang

I noticed our HCS has a rubber body plug covering the front frame mount for the leaf spring. Do most of your cars have this plug? Our other 68 Mustangs do not. I would like to know if this was a assembly plant difference on my other cars or they may have been lost. I would like to find some, I think it is a good idea to keep the dirt out of the frame. I checked with NPD they did not have them. Marty

rvrtrash

I've never seen that on any Mustang I've had. I wonder if one of the plugs meant for somewhere else just happens to fit there.

Steve

CougarCJ

I have both of them on my GT/CS, have one on my 1968 Cougar, the other one must have fallen out.

It shows up in my 1968 Cougar assembly manual. Part number is 377356-S.

I don't have a Mustang assembly manual. Found in "Underbody Section- Floor member plug buttons".

nfrntau

Here is a photo I took before I restored my car. I am pretty certain that it is a stock original part as it had the same color and hardness as the rest of the plugs on the car.

Attachments

• DSCF1995.JPG
    DSCF1995.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I have both of them on my GT/CS, have one on my 1968 Cougar, the other one must have fallen out.

It shows up in my 1968 Cougar assembly manual. Part number is 377356-S.

I don't have a Mustang assembly manual. Found in "Underbody Section- Floor member plug buttons".

Thanks for the part #. I do not have the 68 assembly manuals yet I have the 67 ones. Should be the same # as the Cougar.
Good picture Bill. Did you buy new ones? And if so where did you get them? Marty

6t8-390gt

I think they are include in the complete kit that either AMK or Daniel Carpenter offers (can't remember which kit I bought) but my car has them and I did not buy any plug separately.

Danny

gazrox

I went back through my photos and found that my car has the plugs - they certainly look original.

I have replaced the rear frame rails and the new design is a little different from original in that the bolt head stays outside the frame rail and there is no need for the plug. Need a longer bolt that what is supplied with the kits - about an inch longer. I think the frame rail may be a '67 design as that is the way it is on my 67 coupe, and personally I like this better as it appears stronger and is better for keeping crud out of the frame rail.

Attached is a photo of the plug on the passenger side before removal of the springs and frame rail.

Gary

Attachments

• IMGP1063.jpg
    IMGP1063.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 32

nfrntau

Marty,
I installed sub-frame connectors which covered the holes. I didn't need to address that issue.
That said, if they were accessable, I would have found the right size plug to fit the hole or used the originals. Mine are old but I may still have them if you want them. I kept almost everything as I took the car apart.
Let me know
Cheers

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Bill,
I think I am going to buy a new body plug set from AMK they are much softer. By the way how will you ever remove your springs? Or were your subframe conectors bolt ons? Marty

nfrntau

My subframe connectors were both. The rear bolted in place and then the front needed to be welded. I welded both ends front and rear to the frames for strength.

logue636@comcast.net

Spring plug

I bought my GTCS new I replaced my springs my self, yes there was a plug on my car. I bought new ones at Laurel Mountain Mustang, 25 cents a piece I have known Kevin Mills for many years he is the owner. Phone 724 696 9664 they are called frame rail plugs.

Attachments

• Spring Bolt Cover 016 (640x480).jpg
    Spring Bolt Cover 016 (640x480).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I bought my GTCS new I replaced my springs my self, yes there was a plug on my car. I bought new ones at Laurel Mountain Mustang, 25 cents a piece I have known Kevin Mills for many years he is the owner. Phone 724 696 9664 they are called frame rail plugs.

Nice photo, Thanks to everyone for all the help! Marty