• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Side Scoop mounting help

dbeal

Does anyone have the hole location for the side scoops? When the body shop replaced my quarters they did not drill the hole for the side scoops. (not to mention that the holes in the original quarters were about an inch across... If someone could provide that it would be great. As I am going to start fitting the fiberglass.

68gt390

Don't know if these photo's will help much or not.

Don

Attachments

• body work 4.JPG
    body work 4.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 39
  • body work 7.JPG
    body work 7.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 38

nfrntau

If noone can get you this info before tomorrow, I will be home then and can measure how far back and how far down the hole is on mine for you.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

That would be great! How far down from the top of the body line and how far in from the front of the quarter panel

nfrntau

The hole is 13/16" diameter
Drivers side is 5 1/4" down from body line (parallel to door jamb) and 5" aft of door opening (parallel to floor)
Passenger side is 5 3/4" down and 5 1/4" aft.

I was kind of surprised to see that much difference.
Good luck

Mosesatm

If you are interested in authenticity I think the holes might have been punched instead of drilled, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone clarify that one way or the other?

rvrtrash

I don't know if the holes were originally punched or drilled, but I think punching them would be a lot cleaner. Call around and see if you can rent a tool electricians use (Greenlee is a major brand) that punches holes in electrical panels/boxes. Have the rental guy show you how to use it. It's amazingly simple.
Steve

Mosesatm

Sorry, Steve. What I meant to write was that they might been punched without removing any metal. It just folds into the car. If you look at one of the pictures Bill posted the hole looks like it might have been made with a big old steel cold chisel type punch.

rvrtrash

It's been well over a year since I mounted my scoops, but I don't remember any metal being folded over inside the panel and the hole seemed to be perfectly round, with no flat edges like it would have if the metal was folded. I've been wrong before (more often than right) but if I was in charge of quality control, I wouldn't want some burly line worker hammering on a quarter panel of a mostly completed car with a cold chisel or even leaning on a drill trying to push through the hole a little quicker. :eek: Anyone looked closely at theirs lately that can give us a better idea?
Steve

By the way Arlie, it seems like it's been raining almost non-stop up here for a month. Lousy golf weather.

nfrntau

Just went out and tried to take a pic from the inside, it didn't come out.
I think the hole was drilled. It has a very small burr on the inside, similar to the burr on the inside of the holes in the rear panel for our brake lights.
As far as drilling holes on a brand new panel, the dealers drilled holes in the front fenders of Mustangs and other Ford cars for the installation of the radio anteneas on a daily basis. It really wasn't a big deal. When I was a kid the get ready guys at my Dads dealership used to let me help.

PFSlim

I drilled mine. I don't know if that is the way they are suppose to be done, but the only tool I had and they turned out fine.

Paul