• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Tachometers

dalorzo_f

A subject of continual debate, but as it was raised in the X code thread thought I'd start a new one...

The 8k tach should be paired with the 140 MPH speedometer. The 6k tach with the 120 MPH speedo. I have an 8k with the 120 mph in Val's Fastback.

From what I've seen/heard the 6k was '67, or used on '68 6 bangers. Some Ford docs show the 6k on the 6 as an option, others note tach avalable on 8 cyl only. So even Ford is confused on it...

My '68 S GT has a 120mph speedo and 8k tach. Factory.

The 140mph appears mostly on Shelby's. Most docs I have seen and pics of older cars show a 120/8k for the most part in '68 Mustangs...

Anecdotal, but this subject has been debated at length on many forums and I have seen no 100% clear-cut answer...

My personal belief is 120/8k was standard in '68 with the 140mph only on Shelby's.

CougarCJ

I have read that the 8000 rpm tachometer was standard on the 1967 K-code 289 HiPo.
Also standard on 1968 R code 4 speeds, optional on automatic 428CJ's.

6000 rpm tach optional on any Mustang.

I don't know the rules for Shelby Mustangs.

robert campbell

140 mph speedo maybe Shelby only, but I kinda doubt it. It is a Ford part and by 1968, the Shelby option list as far a performance stuff was pretty limited. The 1968 Shelby was pretty much appearance stuff only.

Do not dispute that 120 mph and an 8K tach may have happened. But they sure look odd together in my mind. In my past was a 1968 GT J code 4 speed fastback. It had an 8k and 140 mph speedo. And my 1968 Shelby GT-500 KR automatic had it also. Sure look good together! My brother-in-laws 1967 GT S code 4 speed has a 6k 120 mph combination.

My gut tells me you could click either 8k or 6k on any option sheet. And 120 or 140 mph as an option also. Or maybe not??

This is great discussion!

Rob

Last edited:

CougarCJ

According to the 1975 issue of the MPC:

140 mph speedo for 67-68 Shelby only.

For the tachometer, they only show a 6000 rpm and a 8000 rpm tach for 1967.

1968 lists 8000 tach only. This could be due to the 6000 rpm tach going obsolete early. I do not know.

*Fun Trivia - All Mercury Cougar XR7's came with 6000 rpm tachs and 120mph speedometers. :cheesy:

robert campbell

Edited my post above. My brother-in-laws S code, 4 speed, fastback is a "1967". Typo by rob.

Rob

NosAvrenim

From what I've seen/heard the 6k was '67, or used on '68 6 bangers. Some Ford docs show the 6k on the 6 as an option, others note tach avalable on 8 cyl only.

Forgive the overly simplistic (read: noob) question :embarass:, but what would be the purpose of a 8k tach when, according to the '68 shop manual, all engines maxed out HP under 5k (except for the 427 -- misprint for 428?)? :confused:

Seems that the 8k would be overkill unless there were significant aftermarket mods or unless put on a Shelby.

Mosesatm

Here's the Marti report for the GT/CS I owned in the '70s & '80s.

It shows the tach and trip odometer as a line item but it doesn't say if it's 6K or 8K.

Attachments

• rptMain_829.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 24

CougarCJ

Forgive the overly simplistic (read: noob) question :embarass:, but what would be the purpose of a 8k tach when, according to the '68 shop manual, all engines maxed out HP under 5k (except for the 427 -- misprint for 428?)? :confused:

Seems that the 8k would be overkill unless there were significant aftermarket mods or unless put on a Shelby.

Could be a carry over from the first generation Mustangs.

Rally-pac, a combination tachometer and 24 hour clock were available optionally for the 1965-66 Mustangs. The 8k tachometer was reserved for the K-code 289 HiPo engines. All others were to have a 6,000 rpm tach, including 6 cylinders.

Ruppstang

Could be a carry over from the first generation Mustangs.

Rally-pac, a combination tachometer and 24 hour clock were available optionally for the 1965-66 Mustangs. The 8k tachometer was reserved for the K-code 289 HiPo engines. All others were to have a 6,000 rpm tach, including 6 cylinders.

Makes perfect sence to me. I have never seen a tach in a 67-68 6cil. The Ford sales lit. says it was only avaiable on V8,s.
Scott have you ever seen on in a 67-68 Cougar 6cil? Now come to think of it I am not sure if they made 6cil Cougars.

CougarCJ

Makes perfect sence to me. I have never seen a tach in a 67-68 6cil. The Ford sales lit. says it was only avaiable on V8,s.
Scott have you ever seen on in a 67-68 Cougar 6cil? Now come to think of it I am not sure if they made 6cil Cougars.

V8 Cougars only, until about 1980.

Hawkrod

This is an interesting thread and I will try and add some confusion to the pot! LOL We have been discussing tachs on the 428CJ forum for a while and we have verified
  1. 1. Errors. Cars that do not have a tach option and are not configured to have a tach as standard equipment. On some stick shift cars a tach was included with the package but Ford figured out they were giving away something they could charge for and so they made it an option. This was a running change so early cars should have had no mention of the tach on the paperwork while identical later cars do. I mention this as we have also seen cars that should not have had a tach but do and there is no mention of this on the paperwork. It is important to note that human error does occur and that the assembly line does not always have the best people doing the job. If a car were coming down the line and the wrong wiring was installed in error it probably would have had a line change and the matching instruments installed. It was easier to change the instruments being installed than to take it back apart because the wrong wiring was in place. Ford was pretty good about stuff like this. Unless it was a safety or warrantee issue or required engineering sign off, they would use the most cost effective route. If a tach harness was in there and would work then a tach cluster was installed and the window sticker would usually be adjusted (this is how you can have an Eminger that does not match a Marti).
  • 2. Early change outs. Yes, it was done even back in the 70's. The first car I ever changed completely was a 69 standard Cougar and I swapped the entire wiring harness and dash from front to back including all the special senders and even the door latches. In the 70's a cheap used car could be upgraded with a low mile wreck. We were swapping out all kinds of stuff back then and if you were a Ford tech like me there would be no way to tell!
  • And finally 3. Standard equipment packages. As I mentioned above, there were times when something was standard and then it wasn't and sometimes then it was again! Ford went through some really odd changes that don't make any sense or do not follow the known documentation but the problem is that the changes will usually only show in dealer sales letters. It gets really confusing.
Until a heck of a lot more documentation comes along you may never know why or why not something was built as it was. Hawkrod

Ruppstang

This is an interesting thread and I will try and add some confusion to the pot! LOL We have been discussing tachs on the 428CJ forum for a while and we have verified
  1. 1. Errors. Cars that do not have a tach option and are not configured to have a tach as standard equipment. On some stick shift cars a tach was included with the package but Ford figured out they were giving away something they could charge for and so they made it an option. This was a running change so early cars should have had no mention of the tach on the paperwork while identical later cars do. I mention this as we have also seen cars that should not have had a tach but do and there is no mention of this on the paperwork. It is important to note that human error does occur and that the assembly line does not always have the best people doing the job. If a car were coming down the line and the wrong wiring was installed in error it probably would have had a line change and the matching instruments installed. It was easier to change the instruments being installed than to take it back apart because the wrong wiring was in place. Ford was pretty good about stuff like this. Unless it was a safety or warrantee issue or required engineering sign off, they would use the most cost effective route. If a tach harness was in there and would work then a tach cluster was installed and the window sticker would usually be adjusted (this is how you can have an Eminger that does not match a Marti).
  • 2. Early change outs. Yes, it was done even back in the 70's. The first car I ever changed completely was a 69 standard Cougar and I swapped the entire wiring harness and dash from front to back including all the special senders and even the door latches. In the 70's a cheap used car could be upgraded with a low mile wreck. We were swapping out all kinds of stuff back then and if you were a Ford tech like me there would be no way to tell!
  • And finally 3. Standard equipment packages. As I mentioned above, there were times when something was standard and then it wasn't and sometimes then it was again! Ford went through some really odd changes that don't make any sense or do not follow the known documentation but the problem is that the changes will usually only show in dealer sales letters. It gets really confusing.
Until a heck of a lot more documentation comes along you may never know why or why not something was built as it was. Hawkrod

Thanks Hawkrod for your insite. It is great to learn form those that lived through it. I was talking with the National assistant head judge 67-68 for the MCA and mentioned this thread he said in 68 Ford phased out the 6K tachs and went with all 8K tachs in 68. Even though it makes no sense on a S or a X code. Unfortunatly no documentaion of this has been found. He had a good way to check orginality, he said to pull the cluster and look on the back of the tach there shoud be a date code that should be around a month preceding the build date of the car. I am not sure why Ford was not more forth coming about this option. Even in the 68 Ford service manuel there is no wireing diagram for the Mustang tach. Marty

Mosesatm

Off topic, but if you want a great kill switch just unplug the tach.

If I remember correctly (learned the hard way) the tach is inline with the coil and it must be installed or jumped for the car to run.

rvrtrash

Off topic, but if you want a great kill switch just unplug the tach.

If I remember correctly (learned the hard way) the tach is inline with the coil and it must be installed or jumped for the car to run.

You are 100% correct Arlie. I'm converting my '73 over to a 3 wire tach and making the jumper for the factory wiring this weekend.

Steve

Ruppstang

The 2010 MCA judges meeting was at Ray Skillman Classics. I got to see that car and over a 100 others in his collection. They are real nice people and run a first class restoration shop.
I wonder if the descrepancies in the Marti report tach listing could be due to Ford tightening their belt after the strike? This car is a late build. Options like a vented hood started 68 as standard and went back as a option after the strike. Those that posted that the tach option was not on their Marti report should check their build date. If this theory holds up they would be early build dates. Just a thought. Marty