• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trick to getting brighter dash lights

Born1968

The trick to getting brighter dash lights 1st you need a motorcraft 1967 cougar headlight switch You also need a motorcraft electronic voltage regulator please understand those are the stock bulbs not LEDs
Check all grounds
this should make your dash lights brighter
20220424_041820.jpg

Last edited:

franklinair

What voltage do you read as the alternator output? (It should read 13.3 to 13.7 max)

Neil

franklinair

IIRC, the Cougar H/L switch has higher internal fusing value due to operating 4 headlights when on Hi-Beam as opposed to a Mustang with only 2 headlights on Hi-Beam. The Instrument Light rheostat should be the same resistance on either type of switch.
The only way I see the Instrument Lights being brighter would be the V/R allowing the Alternator to put out higher voltage. That's why I asked about the Alternator output voltage level. (Should be 13.3 to 13.7 volts)
Someone @ WCCC should know for sure.

Neil

wallace

Hi which voltage regulator, the instrument voltage regulator or the one on the radiator support? Wally

Mosesatm

I don’t think the dash lights go through the gauge regulator.

franklinair

Correct, Only the instruments are powered by the IVR. The instrument lights are 12V powered by the Alternator & Voltage Regulator.
LEDs and clean diffusers (the blue light bulb covers) would brighten the dash lights.

Last edited:

wallace

I did what was reported. Definitely a little brighter but I think I need to clean the diffusers and do LEDs

franklinair

You might want to replace the old blue diffusers. They become cloudy over the years. and fresh ones are much better.

Neil

franklinair

LED's & NEW blue diffusers will make a world of difference. WCCC has a video on this.

Neil