• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tricks to removing moldings undamaged

Mark Puls

Ok I am tearing down my car for a rotisseri resto and trying to do as much of it myself as possible. I have bought manuals and several books but there is nothing quite like experience.

Since this is the first Mustang I have owned I am learning as I go. Part of the reason I am doing it myself is because I kind of enjoy this and I am an accountant by day and working with my hands gives me some satisfaction. Also I want to be able to fix it in the future since I plan to have it for the rest of my life.

Can anyone give me some help on the following:

1. What is the secret to getting the drip molding off undamaged?
2. What is the secret to getting the rear window bottom molding off?
3. What is the key to getting the windsheild molding off?

Thanks Mark

clubpro

Mark,

To remove the drip rail molding you will need a bottle opener and a popsicle stick. You place the stick horizontally on the molding to protect the molding and then use the opener just like you were opening a bottle. Hook the underneath part of the molding and gently pry up and it pops loose. Work your way little by little and the molding comes off easy.

The best part is enjoying the popsicle first before you start the job.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:

gazrox

Here's a link on how to remove and install the drip rails - it can be bloody hard to get them off without damaging them, just take your time and pry up short sections, and don't get greedy towards the end by lengthening the section to pry up. Good luck!

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/14158/index.html

Gary

nfrntau

take your time and pry up short sections, and don't get greedy
Gary

This is good advise. It's easy to want to go faster, take your time.
I have been told the repro's for the drip rail moldings suck. They just don't fit and you wil be spending a lot of time trying to make them work. Keep the originals in good order at all costs.
I wrapped the bottle opener with masking tape to keep sharp edges away from the molding.
Have a friend hold the molding you have removed so it doesn't tweak while your moving along. It will be flapping around. Start at one end and SLOWLY work towards the other. It's not really hard it's just important to keep it in good shape. Essentially it is held on like a coat snap but instead of being round it's long and narrow.

OP
OP
M

Mark Puls

Removing Moldings without Damaging Them

Thanks Everyone

I have the molding tools but wasn't sure how to use them without bending the moldings.

Hope you guys are willing to keep giving all this free advise because I am just starting on this adventure!!!!

I hope to post some pics as I go along. I was pleasantly surprised when I removed the carpet and saw only two small spots of rust on the floor pans.

Mark

ahainline

Wish someone would have told this to the people who restored my car last. A lot of my trip is beat up from a lack of patience. Ass-hats

franklinair

I installed a set of repro driprail moldings from NPD. Piece of cake, and they fit perfectly.
I just positioned them for the end clearances, hooked the top edge onto the driprail (starting in the center, working toward the ends), and tapped-tapped-tapped along the bottom edge with a rubber mallet every 2 to 3 inches, and they went on very nicely.

Neil