• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Why is GT 350 and GT/CS spread so wide

PB gtcs

Guys, Been watching Barrett-Jackson auctin on Speed vision. Saw a 67 gt500, auto sell for about 250k. Certainly it was a good one. The gt 350s around KC are at least a 60 to 70k price tag. With so many parts in common, why is the GT 350 to GT/CS so big?? Have we just found the "next" cool car??

Brian

68gt390

The car you saw on Barrett/Jackson was rare 427 side oiler optioned car. These car's were sold only to individuals with race credentials and not produced for the street. If memory serves me right I don't think there were any 427 mustangs produced in 1968. Ford brought in the 428 CJ & SCJ ($434 option) to replace the expensive 427 ($622 option). That was great for the Mustang since the 428 was conservatively rated at 335 hp but actually was more like 400+ hp. It saved on insurance premiums. I feel the only reason for the wide gap in price is the name "SHELBY". And yes your right about the next cool car. I think the GT/CS is next in line to see prices jump. The average person today can't afford the prices being asked for the Shelby. So, guess were they turn -- the GT/CS. That's why I bought mine recently and it will be in my garage for a long time to come. :D ;D

carvensno

i believe the 427 was 427HP motor also w/dual carbs, very rare mustang and setup, if i found something like that i would expect the price to be near the $200k mark.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=PB gtcs link=board=1;threadid=829;start=0#msg4621 date=1078015733]
With so many parts in common, why is the GT 350 to GT/CS so big??[/quote]

You also have to remember that the GT/CS and HCS packages were just dress up kits. The Shelby's were performance cars that also recieved those same dress ups, plus some.

The Shelby's had high performance engines with manifold/carb upgrades and performance suspensions. They all had mandatory options added like power disc brakes, air cooled rear brakes (not all), power steering and shoulder harnesses. Add to that that many who ordered them loaded them up with options like tilt-away steering, traction-lok rear ends and ram air hoods.

The fact that you could also get them in convertible or fastback only helps the value go up on the coupes as well. There were fewer made then the GT/CS, although not fewer than the HCS. Plus the whole racing history directly tied to the name Shelby.

I love our Specials and I'll enjoy watching them go up in value, but they'll never catch the Shelby's.

68sunlitgold

I agree that you are paying for the "Shelby" name but as John said that is because they are performace cars. The CS was just an option but you can see how the "gap" is closed if you take a CS car that has a 390 or 428 engine in it. You now have almost a coupe Shelby and the price was less (I am talking about 1968). And today the price between these cars is much closer than a CS with a 289 compared to a GT350.

I too think the price of the CS will continue to rise, as it has been doing in the last 5-10 years.

Doug