• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

License Plate Frames - New Thread

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=15#msg15438 date=1129315007]
Mabye for the Washington, Idaho, Oregon market we could have frames that have. "1968 GT/CS" on the bottom and something like "The only good thing to come from California" on the top.

Just kidding. ;D
[/quote]

LOL, there is some good from California but there are a lot of Californians that certainly come into Idaho and Californicate it.

Cory

P

PNewitt

There is a phrase that goes like this: "Perception is not reality".

I think that there is this myth that all Californians are from either Hollywood or Berkeley, and are full of attitude. The migration of folks from L.A. to places less populated, like Washington, Idaho and Arizona and points east, DO bring their culture with them, and expect everyone around them to acclimate. I won't deny it--some are downright rude, and I agree that that arrogance is not appropiate to take to new and different places.

I've lived all over California, and I am very, very proud to say so. This is a fantastic place! It is a very diverse state in culture, peoples, technology, agriculture, and vision; and (I feel) the most progressive state in the country. I have lived in San Diego, and Glendale, and even the Bay Area; but grew up in a small (Mayberry type) town called Dixon, near Sacramento in the '60's. It might well have been in the midwest. A population of 3,500 (then), and you could ride your bike home late at night and no one would bother you. I did the scout thing (made Eagle), and stuff like treehouses, and forts, and made wooden go-carts and played destruction derby in the cul-de-sac. So--I know what a small town life is like. If you live just about anywhere in the Central Valley, or Sierra foothills, it's just like living in rural America.

This has to do with culture. Californians can't be lumped into a single group. Yes--some folks from So. Cal., and the Bay Area, can be rude and self-centered. But it is unfair to make a blunt statement saying how ALL Californians are the same.

I had to say something, because making off-the-cuff subjective statements, I feel is rude in itself. I could comment on my pre-conceived notions of other states, but I don't, because it is unfair, stupid, and unprofessional. Besides, there is at least one of every type of person in the USA right here in Calif., so I don't need to.

What this has to do with our Mustangs is that we have a car that was made specifically for the people of (mostly Southern) California. This was a marketing scheme for the So. Calif Ford dealers. No one ever thought (or frankly cared) that decades later that this car would be all over the country, and overseas. To really appreciate this car; it's not just parts on a '68 Mustang, it's factory customizing (btw- a Calif. factory) that has it's roots in Shelby, and the hot rodders that worked on Cobras in Venice, CA.

It's truly a California Culture car, and if you've never driven in a GT/CS down to Santa Monica pier, or Highway One to Monterey, or to Disneyland, or across the Golden Gate Bridge (and jumped hills in S.F. "Bullit Style")--all of which I have done in my GT/CS --then you just have a piece of California culture sitting in your driveway that Ford agreed to make. It's like eating a Philly steak sandwich in Hawaii, or Chicago Pizza in Arizona.

Without appreciating how this car came to be, or appreciating California culture for Mustangs, then you are denying yourself the full enjoyment of what this car is all about. Texas dealers were jealous about the GT/CS and wanted their own version--but Ford said NO. Texas wasn't selling 20% of all Mustangs then, and the car culture there was non-existent, compared to California (at that time).

So--when I suggested "California Made it Happen", it was in the context of the original advertising, AND the truth about how it came to be. You have to think of this historically--not present day, or through today's political perceptions.

Paul N. 8)

luisa2552

Well said Paul. I've been watching this thread to see where this was going to go. Being a third generation CA native (Bay Area) I can tell you we are not all rude and self-centered. But belive me, they are out there. When I was growing up my town was as you described Dixon. Everyone new each other. It has changed greatly to people moving HERE from other states. The true locals (and there are very few left) are a grateful bunch, happy to still be able to afford (barely) to live in our native state.

Sara

nfrntau

I am a 3rd generation Southern Californian. Yes, even when I was young there was a distinct difference between the two. Not saying one is better or worse, just different. As are people from other states.
I grew up in L.A. and went to college in the Bay area. I moved to Texas 15 years ago because the general attitude in L.A. was terrible and getting worse, this includes the local "home grown" people also.
I grew up in a house 2 miles from the beach. Then it was a relaxed easy going atmosphere. The last time I went back... well it's changed and not for the better. More than 80% of my friends that I grew up with have moved away to other states for similar reasons.
People now are buying 60 year old two bedroom houses for over $300,000 so they can tear them down and build a newer bigger house. I wonder where all these people are finding the money? False economy?
My children are Texans, my neices and nephews are 4th generation Californians.
It's got nothing to do with out of state people. Jerks are jerks and every state has them. Some states just seem to end up with more than their fair share. I blame the parents and the law-makers not the environment.

Mosesatm

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=15#msg15465 date=1129355842]

This has to do with culture. Californians can't be lumped into a single group. Yes--some folks from So. Cal., and the Bay Area, can be rude and self-centered. But it is unfair to make a blunt statement saying how ALL Californians are the same.

I had to say something, because making off-the-cuff subjective statements, I feel is rude in itself. I could comment on my pre-conceived notions of other states, but I don't, because it is unfair, stupid, and unprofessional.

[/quote]

Paul, since you don't clarify whose post(s) your above comments reference I feel I must at least defend my position, assuming they are directed at me.

I read all the posts on this subject and can't see where anyone lumped all Californians together or made off-the-cuff subjective statements. Since you asked why there seems to be an anti-California attitude in certain parts of the country Steve and I explained how some people in the small towns think and I'm pretty sure neither he or I condone the thinking of those individuals.

Please explain if you are directing your comments at one or more persons on this board or at the attitudes of the narrow-minded people who hate any and all Californians.

Thank you

P

PNewitt

I don't think you need to feel that I was reacting to your comments, if you're thinking that. If I had a specific "problem" with a specific comment, I would nail it on the spot. But, your comments were more like an overview, with some examples that painted pictures that made me wince a bit, but it's not a problem.

It has to do with a general frustration--and less to do with any comments here. It's a double edged sword--how there ARE plenty of rude Californians ( I have to drive with them every day! <sigh>), and how there are people and places where attitudes and perceptions are really distorted, that I feel are unfair.

So--"don't go there". No need to feel like I was pointing fingers. If I steered my comments your (or anyone else's) way, I am sorry.

If there is anything to come from this that is good--it's how I feel I need to explain the Calif. Car culture some more in my next registry book to put things into context.

Let's move on--and remember that we have someone here willing to finance the making of these plate frames. Sorry to anyone who felt I took this waaay off-topic.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Thank you for explaining that Paul. You brought up an interesting point with the rude driver issue that might explain what is really going on. A few months ago I drove to a small town in Central Texas to pick up my GT/CS. While driving back I was generally doing the speed limit, sometimes a little over and sometimes a little under. If someone was behind me I'd drive on the shoulder to let them pass. They would then pass and give me a thank you wave, and I'd give them a "your welcome" wave back, but the closer I got to Houston I got more tailgaters and light flashers and the only wave I'd get was the one-fingered goodbye. When reached Houston's freeways I was actually getting a little nervous. People were certainly in a hurry to get to where they needed to be and heaven help anyone who delayed them by a minute or two. Of course if they would plan ahead a little and not look just two feet in front of their bumpers they could have merged over in plenty of time. It's pretty hard to miss an aqua Mustang, on an orange trailer, being towed by a 4x4 blue truck! I always figure these people work as upper management in corporations since neither group can seem to plan ahead, just react to the crisis their short-sightedness created (but that's another issue).

So what we could really be talking about is not a California vs the rest-of-the-country problem, it's more likely the age old big city vs little town problem. I think that what some of the people in the small towns actually don't like are big city transplants and the people in the west tend to classify anyone from a big city as a Californian. Just as people in the small towns in the East probably classify all big city people as New Yorkers, even if the new residents came from Philadelphia or any other big city.

68MustangHCS

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=15#msg15509 date=1129438712]

It has to do with a general frustration--and less to do with any comments here. It's a double edged sword--how there ARE plenty of rude Californians ( I have to drive with them every day! <sigh>).

Paul N.

[/quote]

Driving....<sigh> I've never felt that frustration before until I visited New York City and had to drive during rush hour. People are very offensive in the way they drive and don't know the words patience or courtesy. I showed courtesy and patience and as a result that made people that were waiting behind me very upset.

Driving in this kind of situation sort of reminds me of how I felt when I was in High School toward the kids that used to cut in the lunch line ahead of me....rude and self-centered.

That was my impression of New Yorkers on my visit. I am sure not all New Yorkers are like that though. I am sure this frustration is felt in other populated areas of the country.

Stephen K

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=15#msg15513 date=1129466540]
I always figure these people work as upper management in corporations since neither group can seem to plan ahead, just react to the crisis their short-sightedness created (but that's another issue).
[/quote]

Hey now! I take offense to that comment! I'm a very thought out plan ahead person who gets to work 30-45 minutes early every day and I'm certainly not a reactive manager. I've gotten to where I'm at by being very proactive in nature.

Just kidding about taking offense. ;D Part of the reason I get to work so early is I rarely see any other traffic on my 15 mile commute to work, no traffic what so ever some days, takes me a little over ten minutes to go the 15 miles.

Cory

rvrtrash

I think all you big company management types should provide everyone here with a sample of your companys product, just to show what great guys you are. So Don, when can I expect the Victoria's Secret model to show up at my door? I definately want to be home for that! ;D
Steve

P

PNewitt

L.A. traffic is the worst. The absolute worst freeways are the Long Beach, Anaheim Hills, and Santa Monica Fwy. They narrowed the lanes for more traffic, and you dread having your scoops shaved off by two Hummers along side you. San Jose traffic is bad--for the old Hondas and Nissans zipping around you at 80 mph from out of nowhere.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=30#msg15521 date=1129479031]
I think all you big company management types should provide everyone here with a sample of your companys product, just to show what great guys you are. So Don, when can I expect the Victoria's Secret model to show up at my door? I definately want to be home for that! ;D
Steve
[/quote]

I don't think you'd want a sample of what we offer!

Speaking of that, in a really round-about weird sort of way; Bob Teets are you related to the Scottsdale, Arizona Teets?

Mosesatm

[quote author=hicountrybob link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=30#msg15529 date=1129499220]
not that I'm aware of. hc bob here.
[/quote]

This is why I asked. I was involved in the development of this private mausoleum and just wondered if there was a connection. The mausoleum is even air conditioned!

Last edited:

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=30#msg15549 date=1129555670]
[quote author=hicountrybob link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=30#msg15529 date=1129499220]
not that I'm aware of. hc bob here.
[/quote]

This is why I asked. I was involved in the development of this private mausoleum and just wondered if there was a connection. The mausoleum is even air conditioned!
[/quote]

Whoa, bad picture. Let's try this one instead.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=2246;start=30#msg15561 date=1129597675]
That's what the double doors on the left are for. :)
[/quote]

Not that anyone is interested but if anyone is........those brown things between the "double doors" are bronze vents for the....to vent the....to make sure.....let's just say they are vents and leave it at that. :p