• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Yet another grille color question

whodat

I'll get you the part number tomorrow for you and where I bought it. Can't get out to the garage right now,

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I am in Australia. Can't air freight and not worth surface shipping a can of spray paint!

As hard to ship these days as plutonium, as it is obviously a highly dangerous product! :wink:

Thanks anyway.

whodat

Well anyway it was SEM spray paint 39263 from O'Reilly auto parts is where I bought it. Dark Titanium Metallic.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

You can't ship spray paint overseas unless you surface ship, 2-3 months to get a can of paint here.

I really don't want to spend $75-100 for a custom (and minimum quantities will probably be enough to do 10 grilles) mix (more cost for the hardener or whatever else you need to mix to shoot it) and then have to find a spray gun (rent, more $), mix, clean the gun, to do the grille. PITA for a few small parts.

Sigh..... The question is "How close is NPD's AP-GPA?".

Ruppstang

I had a custom mix made for our HCS, It was just about as good of a match as one could hope for. I had a friend use some of it to paint his 66 styled steel wheels. He said it matched. You might try NPD's AP-SSW 65-67 wheel paint. I never have used it my self.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Sigh... :undecided

I have a can of the AP-GPA.

I can sure go get a custom color mixed, rent a sprayer/compressor, mix it, spray (and hope it comes out OK, having never done it before) clean-up, return the rented tools and spend probably $150-200 and an hour and a half picking up/returning .... or use a $12 rattle can I have...

Or buy a can of some other rattle can color, find a container with space, and ship it... on a boat.... and have it here in 8-12 weeks.

All I wanted to know is "how close is the NPD AP-GPA to the OEM color"

I didn't think it was that complex a question? :rolleyes:

Mosesatm

HJFC, You've been give a number of excellent suggestions.
Politely accept them, say "Thank You" and move on,
or continue to whine.

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I really don't want to spend $75-100 for a custom (and minimum quantities will probably be enough to do 10 grilles) mix (more cost for the hardener or whatever else you need to mix to shoot it) and then have to find a spray gun (rent, more $), mix, clean the gun, to do the grille. PITA for a few small parts.

Sigh..... The question is "How close is NPD's AP-GPA?".

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but----Mike has a point. Ask your paint supplier how much to mix up a batch. It may be different there, but here they'll mix a small amount and put it in a spray can for you. The last time I had it done, it was about $15.00 for a can. No spray equipment, no cleaning, etc. It seems you think we're all idiot's and fools, but we're only trying to help you......for now. And no, I've never used AP-GPA so don't know how close it is.

Steve

Ruppstang

I forgot to say that I had the custom mix put in a few spray cans same as Steve said did not cost too much.

franklinair

How about if I try this:
I'll have my paint guy mix a small batch of SEM 39263 (which apparently the consesus of opinion is the correct grill color).
Then I'll match it against the aerosols AP-GPA & AP-SSW from NPD.
Then we'll see which is the best match, and post a photo. OK?

Neil

PS:
I've used the AP-GPA, and it looked right to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

How about if I try this:
I'll have my paint guy mix a small batch of SEM 39263 (which apparently the consesus of opinion is the correct grill color).
Then I'll match it against the aerosols AP-GPA & AP-SSW from NPD.
Then we'll see which is the best match, and post a photo. OK?

Perfect.

I do appreciate the suggesitons, but as noted they really don't answer my question. I specifically asked only if the color compared well to OEM, not "how can I get custom paint colors". I know how to do that.

As noted, mixing custom colors is way expensive here, oddly not everything is the same as in the US. No one here I called, tried about 6-8 shops, mixes custom colors to a PPG/other code and puts it in a rattle can.. well one shop said they "could"... but it would be about $100 for a can...

To get 5 test colors mixed and sprayed on patches to pick a color for the EXP I was into it for about $500. Paint, time, labor (I do not have a spray setup and have to rely on others and pay them for their time and materials)

If asking if someone can compare a color, and offering to pay for thier time and effort, is "whining" so be it. Just trying to get an answer to maybe help other hobbiyits on a budget to know how well this color may work.

Neil. If you could do that, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Let me know your costs and I wil Paypal the funds to cover.

CougarCJ

Perfect.

I do appreciate the suggesitons, but as noted they really don't answer my question. I specifically asked only if the color compared well to OEM, not "how can I get custom paint colors". I know how to do that.

As noted, mixing custom colors is way expensive here, oddly not everything is the same as in the US. No one here I called, tried about 6-8 shops, mixes custom colors to a PPG/other code and puts it in a rattle can.. well one shop said they "could"... but it would be about $100 for a can...

To get 5 test colors mixed and sprayed on patches to pick a color for the EXP I was into it for about $500. Paint, time, labor (I do not have a spray setup and have to rely on others and pay them for their time and materials)

If asking if someone can compare a color, and offering to pay for thier time and effort, is "whining" so be it. Just trying to get an answer to maybe help other hobbiyits on a budget to know how well this color may work.

Neil. If you could do that, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Let me know your costs and I wil Paypal the funds to cover.

Reminds me of Sheldon

Mosesatm

And you wonder why people don't respond to your questions.
It could be because you come across as an arrogant, pompous, ass.
Neil tells me you're a good guy but you do a great job of hiding that fact.