• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

66 heads

green56

have a question sounds not very smart if i put 66 heads on the 68 GT/CS would that cause a problem they were 289 heads to go on a 68 289 what is the verdict

CougarCJ

I am not an expert, but there are several different versions of the 1966 or "C6OE-6090-_?" cylinder heads. C6OE-6090- can end with C,D,E,F,M,N,T,Y,AA

Stay away from the emissions heads, you would have holes to find plugs for.

There are bumps or obstructions in some or all of them too.

I can't find my resource book that would tell me valve sizes and 'cc' measurements.

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

were do i find the numbers on the heads would that cause overheating just looking for a future problem i know we did not have to put any plugs in the heads

Last edited:

Mosesatm

were do i find the numbers on the heads would that cause overheating just looking for a future problem i know we did not have to put any plugs in the heads

The '66 heads will increase the compression from 8.7 to around 10 because they have smaller combustion chambers, but I don't see how that could create an overheating problem.

Uh oh.........Wait a minute.

Did you recently put on the new heads? If so, you may have put the head gaskets on backwards, which will cause overheating. Look at the front of the engine and see if there is a little tab sticking out of the engine between each head and the block. If there is no tab then the head gasket is backwards.

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

checked the heads they are fine we found that the timming was off we took it out drove 80 miles to the EAA air show temp was 1/2 up drove to the hotel the temp went up at a stop light and as soon as you were moving the temp droped so every thing points to the timming now my back window regulater broke i don't know what else is going to happenso i am going to replace the other side so we will have both new

Hawkrod

Just a thought but there is a front and a rear to head gaskets. Install them backwards and you will get overheating. The gaskets are designed to block coolant flow at the front and allow it at the rear, if you install them backwards the coolant never circulates to the rear of the block and heads. I don't do many small blocks but this is a major common issue with FE's. Hawkrod

OP
OP
G

green56

i thought i would put this past everone i just bought a set of heads rebuilt fits 67-68 would you think by putting these heads on would help the overheating. this is all new 1-new rad high Eff -6or7 blade fan- shroud -water pump-new water sencer-pressure cap used waterwet reset the timming checked the water last summer the temp 202 and a little higher then when you shut of car the temp pegs out and a little hard to start any extra help or ideas needed thanks Tom WISCONSIN

obwan93001

Just saw this thread had been revived and appears to still be an issue. Here is a link to a thread where I'd posted two charts showing specs on the Ford SB heads that should help w/determining a particular type of head's C/R and whatnot: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8891.

This thread has kinda piqued my interest as my 289 seems to have a similar issue and I've done 5/7 of the things you've alret done. The only thing I can think of at the moment, in my case at least, is the timing could be off by a little bit and/or my old water pump is starting to go. The timing marks are really hard to see and read, I have to get underneath and make a more visible mark. I don't drive it that much right now and will be pulling the engine/trans real soon so it hasn't been a high priority. It is also a bit hard to start after driving then sitting for a short time but like I said not a priority and have actually spent more time recently acquiring parts and other things I need for the CS than doing actual work on it. I've now got a small mountain of misc stuff most of which will be going on the car over time and any "plan B" parts will be sold to recoup costs or held onto as spares or when I get a wild hair you know where. :wink:

Oscar