• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 GT/CS vs. '07/'08 GT/CS

Wayne Westmoreland

I have to agree with Rich on this one. None of the salespeople at the dealer I bought mine from knew anything about the new or original GT/CS. They could tell you what the package included, but nothing about the history or why it is special. I only learned about this site and the history by using google.

Sometimes I want to stop by the dealer and tell some of the salesmen that if they wanted to sell some CS's to learn a little bit about the history. A true car lover wants to feel like they are a part of something special.

Diesel Donna

Wow Dave I had no idea it took that much strategy and planning for you to get out of town! I would be honored for you to park next to me! Come on down!

~~~~Donna

our special

Thank you Donna, it was great meeting you and the rest of the CS group at the Fabulous Fords Show, now if we can only get our GT/CS's together.

Heather works for an auto hauler company, so if we can arrange for an enclosed trailer to get us out of the snow belt in April, we may be able to drive the rest of the way.

Hmmmm, don't count us out yet.

Take care,
Dave

albegtcs

Ladies and gentlemen,

I believe this discussion touches on a much bigger issue as Mr. Newitt has pointed out. Soon those folks that follow the Camaro and the Challenger will be having the same discussions on their web sites. The “pony car” era is back , but 2009 the mustang, camaro and challenger will all be in production. We in the gt/cs community are dealing the same issues those with “bullit” and “Mach one” mustangs dealt with. I own a 2007 gt/cs and was not aware of the heritage of the 68 version of the car till I came to this web site. When I take my car to cruise ins I notice those folks with the older cars take issue that I would show up with this “new “car, they say it is not a classic and should be not allowed into “their” car show. I understand that the 2007 is by no means a “classic” car, but it is a tribute to those cars that came before.. I noted that one of the posts that they would hope the 68 GT/CS mustangs not be parked near the 07 models at the Knotts berry farm show. My question is this , Is the father that much more worthy than the son because of his age. I believe we in this community have to take a stance that a GT/CS is a GT/CS no matter what the year it was produced. I respect those with an interest in the older cars, all I ask is that I get the same in return.

P.S is there a registry for the 2007/2008 models?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for your thoughtful words on this subject. Yes, this new musclecar era is, and will test the acceptance from the older, original marques; considered "classic".

The purpose of this thread was to aire out the thoughts about the new and old versions. When Detroit comes out with these revitalized names, they do it from a marketing standpoint, probably not realizing the a stir it might bring (I still make a smirk when I see the "Hemi" nameplate on a new Magnum...since the owner's never seen or heard a REAL 440 Hemi to know what it is..).

If it's any consolation, there's always been "rifts" between eras of automobiles and whatever time frame they're from. I remember back about 1979-80, the 1965-66 Mustangers didn't really "accept" the '67-68's, or anything newer. They thought that the original Mustang was about it. In April '64, no one was calling the new "1965 Mustang" a classic...that didn't happen until 1978 (the 1964-1/2 designation didn't begin until 1979, either).

And...the 1955-57 T-Bird owners thought the "squarebirds" of '59-60 weren't real T-Birds...much less anything newer. You can pretty much pick any auto, and you'll find a bias within the ranks. Consider the street rodder phrase from long ago "anything past '49 ain't worth it" (along with the one " if it don't GO, chrome it").

So, this thinking is everywhere. Good or bad, it's just the nature of the hobby. Purely subjective.

I think that we have the advantage of (in a "Dr. Phil sorta way"-LOL) addressing this issue, and at least talking about it. I started this thread NOT to suggest or promote any specific agenda, but to hear from owners of both periods. I didn't expect to change any minds; just take advantage of the forums here to see what folks had to say. I've been concerned about how the new CS owners felt about the older cars (and owners), and I think overall, we're all on the same page.

Think about it....there will be a day when the '07 GT/CS will be at a car show as a 40 yr. old car (if there still is gas), and someone will be unhappy that a hydrogen-electric-powered 2047 Mustang GT/CS-H is appearing at their car show.

Whatever happens, the GT/CS name will be a 100 yr. old name. We have ourselves to thank for that--both from the new and old versions.

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Psst! Paul! It was a 426 Hemi. :lipsseal: Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Steve

er..uh....you mean you never heard the roar of the good 'ol
"440 Stroker-Hemi"???

(did he buy it?)...

...hey, all I know about Mopar is that their wheels fit Fords!! LOL!!

--Paul "eggonmyface" N.

Diesel Donna

I noted that one of the posts that they would hope the 68 GT/CS mustangs not be parked near the 07 models at the Knotts berry farm show. My question is this , Is the father that much more worthy than the son because of his age. I believe we in this community have to take a stance that a GT/CS is a GT/CS no matter what the year it was produced. I respect those with an interest in the older cars, all I ask is that I get the same in return.

If you have never been to a Knott's Berry Farm Fabulous Fords Forever car show, then that's why you are missing the point. Next year will be the 40th anniversary of the 1968 California Special.Every year they pay tribute to a specific car for it's anniversary. And I didn't say that I hoped the 68's not be parked near the 07's...I said the 07's shouldn't be parked en masse next to the 68's. Maybe a couple of the models , okay , but not a whole herd of them. It isn't their anniversary...how hard is that to understand? I never showed any disrespect for anyone else's car, I never have for Pete's sake, to each their own! In fact, I think there should be one model of every 1968 Mustang they can find! It doesn't need to be a bunch of CS's only, because then we are ostrasizing every other 68 model and it is their anniversary too. But there is limited space at Knott's for the honored cars and there isn't room for everybody.
It is the anniversary of the 1968 Mustang! UFF DA!

albegtcs

Donna,

I agree completely that the 68 mustang models, all of them should be placed in a special section to celebrate their history and heritage. We have shows in the Cleveland area that celebrate a specific make and model and year. Each year a different vehicle is chosen. . My point was that at general cruse ins or mustang shows the newer muscle cars should not be discouraged from attending and becoming involved

Ladystang

07/08 Owners on this site aside because I know the members here are well informed on the history of the CS.

I've talked to a number of 07 and 08 owners though that had no idea there was a 68 GT/CS until they saw mine.
They said they just liked the look and options on the car and that's why they bought.

In addition I've talked to at least 2 or 3 2007 GT/CS owners that are not happy with their dealers.
The dealers pushed the fact that the model was a 2007 only model and would be limited to that year only.

When the 2008's came out they were pretty upset. The Limited 1 year run was part of their decision in purchasing.
This was not from the same dealer either.

There was a 2007 Owner at one show that did not believe me that there was going to be a 2008 version and insisted that wasn't possible.

It's a shame some dealers were misleading or misinformed.

Based on this and the post above about the salesman not knowing maybe Ford should have done a better job of marketing and educating their dealers and future owners.
Somebody didn't get the memo or Ford just never sent it or didn't care to.

Just my opinion.

I agree with this also. We were under the impression that it was to be limited to '07'. The reason we bought it in the first place. Now I just love driving it. Ford is out to make money, period!