• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 GT/CS vs. '07/'08 GT/CS

John McGilvary

Oh God, you're grounded already! :rolleyes:

Steve

Hey Steve, it looks like you don't have enough kids.
DO YOU WANT MINE !!!!!!
They are all in their 20's, 3 girls and a boy.

John

PS, How much do I have to pay you? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh, I like CS's that are classics, just like me.

Last edited:

rvrtrash

Hey Steve, it looks like you don't have enough kids.
DO YOU WANT MINE !!!!!!
They are all in their 20's, 3 girls and a boy.

John

PS, How much do I have to pay you? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh, I like CS's that are classics, just like me.

If they'll be driving your car when they come over, and leaving it here, go ahead and send them. :grin:

Steve

John McGilvary

If they'll be driving your car when they come over, and leaving it here, go ahead and send them. :grin:

Steve

They are lucky to even ride in my CS, let alone drive it.

A few years back my boy asked if he could make my old
Mustang into a " Dune Buggy ". You can imagine what I told him.

John

I hope the guys who are pissed at each other over this thread
get over it and start posting again. :confused: :confused:

Diesel Donna

They are lucky to even ride in my CS, let alone drive it.

A few years back my boy asked if he could make my old
Mustang into a " Dune Buggy ". You can imagine what I told him.

John

I hope the guys who are pissed at each other over this thread
get over it and start posting again. :confused: :confused:

Hahahaaa John, I was thinking the same thing.

68gt390

You can please some of the people some of the time but, you can't please all the people all the time.

Besides, no matter what you do, "LIFE GOES ON".

Don :grin:

franklinair

I think the webmaster could just delete the whole damn thread -OR- we just stop posting replies, and the thread will work its way to the bottom of the page and into oblivion.
Neil

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think that a good way to "end" this thread is to think of the two versions like this:

--The '68 Version is the classic, that you'd have to have it to do the late model version. No original, no late model version....

however...

--Without the late model version, there would be no recogniton, and/or remembering of the '68 version (that is, to the casual observer). I'm sure that there are lots of folks that have asked an '07 owner: "so, what IS a GT/CS?", which the owner (hopefully) explains that it's a new version of the one they made in '68. In which the person asking gets a whole new education on BOTH GT/CSs.

...but wait, there's more....

The bottom line is that Ford wouldn't have made this Mustang variant if it weren't for YOU, the original GT/CS owners... Ford Marketing looked at the existing classic Mustang "marques", and their following, and actually saw us, and said something like: "hey, these '68 GT/CS folks seem pretty enthusiatic, so...let's do a variant on that marque...

So, everybody happy now?

One hand washes the other.

Paul N.

CougarCJ

Newstalgia?

...but wait, there's more....

The bottom line is that Ford wouldn't have made this Mustang variant if it weren't for YOU, the original GT/CS owners... Ford Marketing looked at the existing classic Mustang "marques", and their following, and actually saw us, and said something like: "hey, these '68 GT/CS folks seem pretty enthusiatic, so...let's do a variant on that marque... Paul N.

Is this a true fact? or what you think? :wink:

I think, CougarCJ thinking out loud, that Ford knowing that they are the only game in town with the moniker of American Made Pony Car. (At least until the Challenger and Camaro have their rebirth) have decided to shotgun the market with as many variants of the Mustang that appeals to multigenerational and prospective car buyers.

We have already seen the Mach 1, Shelby, Boss 302, GT/CS, Twister is coming, Twisters cousin the Sidewinder? still yet to come is possibly the Cobra, High Country Special, do I hear a King Cobra?, how about a T5? anyone care for a Grande? Grabber? Boss 429? Boss 351, CJ or Cobra Jet? Indy Pace car edition? Sprint? GT-A? Ghia? Maclaren? the list goes on and on.

Retro is has been sweeping the country for some time. The Thunderbird kind of started it for Ford. Comic book heros are back, old movies and TV shows are getting rehashed into movies. Nickelodeon runs all kinds of TV shows from our younger days.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Well, I understand completely about the choices Ford could have made. The late model Mustang Mags were a "little upset" that the GT/CS choice announcement set the Boss 302 back a while.

Dearborn doesn't know much of anything on the GT/CS on file to work from. Back in '88 I tried to find anything they had out there, it just wasn't there. This was pretty much a California-Mustang project only. Funded and designed out here by the California "FDAF" group (Ford Dealer Advertising Fund).

So, (as I was told) they found a copy of my 1989 book, and it went from there.

It might also have been that a GT/CS was less expensive to produce than an engine-based Mustang, like a Boss car, etc., since Ford is/was looking for producing cars with less expensive initial investment. The Mustang variant choices are driven by the marketing dept., not so much the engineering and design depts.

As it turned out, the new GT/CS has proven to be MORE popular than they originally thought. The '08 year should be more sucessful than '07 model year. One can only hope that they carry it on for '09..<???>

Paul N.

gt bandit

Crew -------- I hope to be the proud owner of both 68 and 2008 California Specials by early next year.

But in all seriousness the only thing they have in common is the Name -
The concept of the CS in 1968 was totally different to why they created the 2006 CS.

as far as sharing the site / car shows ------ We are all owners of mustangs and I have no issues with sharing my space with other fellow enthusiasts.

But i really have No time for Small Block Owners -------------------------------- :) so can we get a separate site for CS/FE :)
joke CREW
JUST JOKES

Diesel Donna

Shaun..your killing me here!! LOL!
Hey..I have a 472...it's just not in my Mustang.....does that count?

Mustanglvr

Crew -------- I hope to be the proud owner of both 68 and 2008 California Specials by early next year.

But in all seriousness the only thing they have in common is the Name -
The concept of the CS in 1968 was totally different to why they created the 2006 CS.

as far as sharing the site / car shows ------ We are all owners of mustangs and I have no issues with sharing my space with other fellow enthusiasts.

But i really have No time for Small Block Owners -------------------------------- :) so can we get a separate site for CS/FE :)
joke CREW
JUST JOKES

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :wink:

our special

My wife and I attended a Mustang show on Sept 15 07 in Nova Scotia, Canada. The show was held at the Ford dealer, Fairley & Stevens and wouldn't you know it, it rained.

There were only about 50 Mustang's in attendance, but we had a good time regardless.

There was one 2007 GT/CS convertable in the show and a new coupe and convertable on display.

While in the showroom one of the younger salesmen asked me what type of Mustang we had in the show. I told him we had a California Special. He said ya, those new CT/CS's are wicket. I said no, we have an original 1968 Mustang, California Special. The look was priceless. He had never heard of a '68 California Special and thought the '07 was the first. I said, have I got a story for you. Out into the rain we went with another salesman in tow to see their first "original" GT/CS and be properly breifed.

Round trip for us to attend the show, was just under 2000 miles and two eight hour ferry crossings. I guess that explains why we got the longest distance travelled award.

We also received the Best in class and President's award. I guess it helps when it rains and the competion is low. lol

ps, we had a great cruise the next day, in the sun, with new and old Mustangs, and did it ever look good crusin' together.

Dave

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WOW

What a fantastic story! And for you to travel so far to go to this show, only to have it rain there! I don't know of a lot of "Specials" that have been on ferries. Mine was on one once from Tsawassen to Victoria, B.C. Canada years ago.

I think you got the all-time farthest from anywhere--anytime award for a GT/CS!

How impressive.

Paul N.

our special

Thank you, Paul.

We have two choices if we want to travel our cars to another Province or a U.S. State.

First choice is a sixteen hour ferry crossing, with a one hour drive to reach the ferry, the second choice is a eight hour ferry crossing with a ten hour drive to reach the ferry. Some choice huh?

Now you know why we generally fly to the major events.

Having said that, we do attend many events in Eastern Canada and the New England States with our cars.

We do not have a Mustang club, not that we don't have enough early and late model mustangs here, but we are members of the Newfoundland Antique and Classic Car Club, NACCC, and many of our members do a ferry crossing once a year. ( All for the love of it )

Who knows, we may make the Carlise All Ford show next year, but my aim is to drive to the Fabulous Fords Forever Show and park next to Donna. He,he, he! Gotta keep the green machines together.

Dave

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think Donna would be honored if you drove all that way just to park next to her...LOL....'cept, you'd have to let her wedge her little green GT/CS Peddle Car in between the both of you...

:)

It's still an awesome trek, just to go to a car show, via ferry.

thanks, Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

07/08 Owners on this site aside because I know the members here are well informed on the history of the CS.

I've talked to a number of 07 and 08 owners though that had no idea there was a 68 GT/CS until they saw mine.
They said they just liked the look and options on the car and that's why they bought.

In addition I've talked to at least 2 or 3 2007 GT/CS owners that are not happy with their dealers.
The dealers pushed the fact that the model was a 2007 only model and would be limited to that year only.

When the 2008's came out they were pretty upset. The Limited 1 year run was part of their decision in purchasing.
This was not from the same dealer either.

There was a 2007 Owner at one show that did not believe me that there was going to be a 2008 version and insisted that wasn't possible.

It's a shame some dealers were misleading or misinformed.

Based on this and the post above about the salesman not knowing maybe Ford should have done a better job of marketing and educating their dealers and future owners.
Somebody didn't get the memo or Ford just never sent it or didn't care to.

Just my opinion.