• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 GT/CS vs. '07/'08 GT/CS

Mosesatm

For what it's worth I like the 68 CS's and really am not interested in the new CS's. Nothing against the new ones but they just don't interest me......only the 68's do.

now that's funny.

Here you go Jason.

Attachments

• doglaugh.gif
    doglaugh.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I'll offer another example of which I have some inside knowledge.

The Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor cars.....

....Like I said before, I like the new Cal Specials. As has been said before, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

To add to what Russ said, the new cars can do everything better, faster, and do it using less fuel and much lower emissions.

What the new cars cannot do is put me into a different place, a fun place.

Almost like a time machine. LOL

I value your comments, because you are from the "fraternity' of the older iron from about 1964-70. That is a period of Fords that are the most saught after and emulated. After all the new Mustang is based on a '68, with a '70 rear end, and a touch of a '71 fender. The whole genre' of that period is amazing, and we grew up with it. Many, many very cool stories about racing, and customs and outstanding personal experiences.

Going to all the trouble to own an older Ford is about just what you pointed out--a time machine to a happier, and simpler time and place. It's a fun place to go to to shed the complications of today's world. How I can relate to that! I should know, with 450,000 miles on my own CS.

Defining that experience of owning and driving a '68 GT/CS is what bring us here, and to go to great lengths to do things like "rebuild a taillight harness".

It's not that the new GT/CS needs or should compromise that classic, personal experience. You can't take away memories of almost 40 years like that. The new CS will make it's own memories over time. But what I think is the crux of the confusion (placing myself at the middle) is that the older CS's are in a world all their own, and the late model CS's have their own world. They can't be mixed, nor should one dominate the other. They have been and will be two separate ownership experiences.

I appreciate your insights on this, especially from someone with such a corral of "vintage performance" classics.

I agree about the Eleanor cars. I feel that there was a set timeline of credibility for the Shelby Mustangs -- that is, "race on Sunday, sell on Monday", circa 1965-70. The Shelby branded name still carries a lot of clout, but I never thought that these cars were "continuation" Shelbys. This opinion seems to be widespread, and we'll see. I noticed that the Toutles (OC Chopper) sold their cars at auction.

thanks!
Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

"Maybe that's too nebulous, or "free thinking" for your palette (Tim),"

...On the contrary. I'm just not "Paul'itically Correct"...

I don't remember making a "dictate" about this subject, but I did expect a sophomoric response.

Nothing wrong with asking for opinions, and having an open discussion.

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I`m proud to have the owners of the new GT/CS`s as members on this site. They share the same exact passion for their cars as we do. This site runs parallel most of the time with the 68 owners chatting among themselves and the 07-08 owners chatting among themselves. But I think thats great!!! WE are all learning about the 07-08`s and about the 68`s. How much better can that get? I have yet to see an 07 in person, but my friend Hotrodgrany (owner of a beautiful 07 GT/CS) and I are working on it.

We ARE all getting along and yes, it was inevitable that someone would say something that would insult a new owner (like in the Knotts thread.) I believe the new GT/CS`s BELONG right beside the 68`s, only to be seperated by year and nothing else. When the Knott`s thread began, I had visions of a row of beautiful 68`s and a row of beautiful 07-08`s right beside them.

Just like the GT/CS`s (new and old) we are comprised of different generations, and ideas, but we all have the same thing in common. The love of the GT/CS, it`s beauty, history and uniqueness. I enjoy reading the posts about the new cars and I know the owners of the new ones enjoy reading the posts about the old ones. Many of us do not always post a reply. We ALL belong here together. There is a place for all of us.

I know Paul was just trying to get everybody on the same page. I know I`ve tried to put Paul in his place before about things he has posted, but he is truly just trying to open up our eyes to see what a great family we have here. We have 2 generations of interest. Let`s learn from each other and just be a family.

Gosh, thanks.

I hope that you arrived at this opinion on your own...that is, I wouldn't want you to be coerced or brought to a "PC" point of view on my part...LOL....but I digress in sarcasm..sorry...

I value your appreciation of both genres of Mustang. It's more about the people, and yet, we have different personal experiences. They're even different between a 6 cylinder and 428CJ '68 GT/CS.

I take chances and post these things not to be "obnoxious" (LOL!), but to bring out your thoughts and opinions and how IMPORTANT it is to enjoy what we have here--new OR old. There's no arm twisting about any of this. Hey--it's OK to not like either version. I just know how strong each of your experiences are, and have been. I have hundreds of owner letters from many years expressing that same positive and exciting personal experience of owning, driving and appreciating their GT/CS. It's because of those letters and conversations over the years that I "take that chance" to be expressive about it (risking being "put into my place" LOL). There is such a value of ownership for this car, that I feel it's well worth talking about it. John Mc's 428 CS was considered a little "odd" by others many years ago, until he saw how excited we were here. He then went out to buy a computer to "talk" with us. What does that tell you?

We have a new generation here, and it's a whole new game. But, it's the '68 owners that have provided that "head start" to the experience of owning such a unique Mustang. No one can take that away from us.

Thanks again for all your thoughts on this....I think it will give the late model owners some insights and knowledge about just what they got themselves into for the next 40 years! (LOL!!)

Paul N.

Russ

Okay, I'll be the one to side with Donna Diesel regarding the Knott's Show and here is why. In my family, when someone has a birthday, a party is held to celebrate that person's special day. When my sister had a birthday, I didn't get any presents, and I didn't blow out the candles. Maybe things have changed today, but I think our 40 year old Mustangs should be in the spotlight, not the '07-08's. In 2047, the new GT/CS's can celebrate their 40th. The classic GT/CS's are having the birthday, and these cars, and owners should celebrate this special event/day.

Along with this, when I talk with people about my '05 GT, they have a completely different perspective about what important in a car than do those who are interested in my classic GT/CS. These folks are interesed in the size of the sound system and how many amps it puts out, if I have "Stage 3 Nitrous", why I haven't put 22's on it, and have I ever been smoked by a "tuner".

The classic crowd is wondering how long it took to restore the car, is it original, and can the Philco AM pick up any stations any more. The two groups have entirely different thoughts about the cars.

Finally, it's good to know we have found a choir director for the singing of "Kumbya" at the Knott's Show. Mustanglvr will do great......but do we have to hold hands while we sing?

Just my thoughts,
Russ

robert campbell

Wow,
What a thread! Didn’t see this one coming….

In the early 80’s a friend of mine and I started the Kitsap Mustang Club (KMC) in Bremerton, Washington. We wanted a forum to enjoy our cars and help others. One of the first things to hash out was what cars should we include??

All Mustangs
1st generation only
1st and 3rd, (2nd gen. 74 to 78 were not very popular)
Cougars

Our first meeting was a meeting to decide just that. We had 50 or so people in attendance and voted. The group had a wide array of interests. New Mustangs, modifieds (me) purists, and even a couple of 2nd generation people. We made speeches and people lobbied for there preference. It was all over the board.

I for one lobbied for all. A family friendly club that supported all people with any Mustang. A place to get help on any project. We held our meetings in a College vice a restaurant or tavern. Every meeting (monthly) we (I did this early on) put on a tech demonstration. Put new upholstery on a seat one month. I brought in transmissions and carbs. Cut open a vacuum advance and went through its inner workings.

We branched into the 2nd and 3rd generation cars. Hop up tips for EFI cars. Places to find that hard to find 74 to 78 Mach One decal.

What emerged was a family of friends with a common interest. Mustangs and Fords!!!!!

We helped each other with cleaning and detailing tips. Did cruise nights. KMC is a very large club and still caters to any Mustang regardless of year.

This website is a similar forum, but it is harder to meet each other. I am amazed with the knowledge of the old cars. The newer cars don’t need all the restoration tips that the old ones do, so from that aspect they feel left out.

BUT if we all lived within a hundred miles of each other and someone said lets meet, I bet a bunch of cars would show up. New ones old ones and such. It would be so cool to talk to all of you in person. Regardless of the year of the car.

Now lets get to the root of why this thread came about. It is the thread about the Knotts Berry show. The comment about whether we should all be together or two separate groups. Steve is right on. Most shows it would not make a difference. Many are very informal so it is a mix mash. The annual KMC show is grouped by years. So that would separate us.

Knotts Berry is a huge show and we are targeting the 40th year. If they allow us to feature our cars, they may drive the bus. Many shows only allow vintage cars. I think we should push to allow all of the CT/CS years. After some thought maybe we give them an estimate of the attendees and we park first come first serve. Maybe a shuttle or two to match up contrasting colors (done that before). Maybe Paul will volunteer to front it. He doesn’t have enough to do!

It is my sincere hope that none of the people that own the new GT/CS cars abandon the site. I for one apologize for the comment I made that we should separate the groups. That was wrong.

Remember it is Paul’s effort and this site that I feel influenced Ford to make the new versions. The $194 dollar option that created an original GT/CS was also very cosmetic in nature. In some cases a poor mans Shelby. Not in John’s case with Cobra Jet!!

By the way, I have some experience on the new cars and devour any and all reading. We have many 05 to 07’s and even a new Shelby in KMC. And a Ford GT in the club. I would love to see a new owner as a technical question on a new one, say to hot it up! I would love to help. Spending other people’s money is a love of mine!!!

I love the way people welcome any one that is new member on this site. New car or old car person. Let’s all remember that. I for one feel that the welcomes are sincere. In KMC, you don’t even need to own a Mustang. It is a great place for a non-owner to learn and a fertile group to help buy that first Mustang. New or old!!!

Wish I could afford an 05 to 07…… Like Steve, I am car poor……

Rob

Mustanglvr

Finally, it's good to know we have found a choir director for the singing of "Kumbya" at the Knott's Show. Mustanglvr will do great......but do we have to hold hands while we sing?

Just my thoughts,
Russ QUOTE

Russ, you must be a very lonely man.:cry:
It IS true that money does`nt make you rich.:wink:

John McGilvary

I may be missing something on this thread. I thought it was so members could express how they felt concerning 68 and 07/08 GTCS's. To me this is no big deal.

Back in 68 nobody forced me to buy my CS or keep it for all these years. And if anyone on this site is going to take offence at what someone says about their 68/07/08 GT/CS's, then you should have bought one in the 60's.

If I had got pissed every time someone said anything negative about my GT/CS, I would have been pissed for almost 40 years. And if I was to buy a 07 or 08 GT/CS, and someone said something I didn't like about my car, I would just simply laugh and tell them to " kiss my a** ". I would not get mad and quit talking, sell my car and run away.

Remember " WHATEVER TURNS YOUR CRANK ".

John

BroadwayBlue

... it was inevitable that someone would say something that would insult a new owner (like in the Knotts thread.)...

When exactly did someone say something to insult a new owner in that thread?????

The question was whether or not the 68 and 07/08's CARS should be intermingled. And a few people felt the years should be parked together. That was it!

Someone took that the wrong and insinuated that the WHOLE FORUM GROUP feels that way. And then all hell broke loose.

This was not us and against them ... 68 against 07/08 owners or who's car was better it was about how would you like to see them represented at a show.

If anyone here is part of a car club that runs a show these kinds of questions and discussions come up all the time about car classes, layouts of show fields etc ... it's not about pride it's about what best represents what you're trying to get across.

If I was laying out a show field I would park them separate not intermingled ... not to exclude them but to keep the 68's grouped together and the 07/08's grouped together but next to each other. That's just an opinion it doesn't mean I don't welcome the 07/08 owners or don't want them around. It was just someone's opinion.

By now you have to realize that emails, forums and the like do not lend themselves to easily express feelings and tone like a live conversation. I don't care how many emoticons you use. If you haven't realized it yet ... start to realize it and before jumping down someone's throat ... if you are offended by something someone posted ... re-read it 3 or 4 times and think about the different ways it could be interpreted and give someone the benefit of the doubt before posting it for all the world to see and think about the repercussions of what you're about to post as well.
Or PM (private message) the person and ask what they meant.

If we were sitting around at a BBQ or something and having a conversation I'm sure someone would preface what they said with ... "This is just my opinion and no offense to anyone but...." That's too much typing people.

Now people are leaving the site over this? Come on people ... this is a place to come and share thoughts, ideas, knowledge etc ... this isn't "I'm taking my ball and going home" child's play. I'm sure plenty of people aren't posting that they're leaving the site because of all this but they probably are or will stop posting and just move on and I don't blame them.

This group was tough to break into even before the 07's came out for someone new that watches all the posts back and forth.. People know each other and are comfortable with each other to just say what's on their mind.
That's why everyone says it's like a family. Does everyone get along perfectly with their family or are there ups and downs and most of the time you get over it and you move on ... I know that's not always the case but for the most part you know what I mean.

I come to this site and "hang out" to take a break from the stress of work, kids, work around the house and whatever else is going on in this crazy world. Not to add more to my life.

I'm know I'm not the only person that bought their CS or HCS because of this site and the people on it. I may have passed on it if it wasn't for this site.

Maybe it should just have been a poll posted and not all this bantering ...

Speaking of polls there is a poll going on for the Calendar pictures ... has everyone voted yet? Does anyone know how the voting is going or is everyone too busy here? That used to be the busiest thread this time of year and it's dead. We used to try and match up owners with their cars in the past.

So "In my opinion and not to offend anyone by what's posted above these were just my thoughts" That and a dollar won't get you a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks or most any place else these days.

So someone grab me another beer and some of that tri-tip will ya?

So anyway ... I was out driving my CS the other day ...

:smile: :wink: :cheesy: :grin: :cool: :rolleyes: :kiss: :icon_lol: :icon_ecst :icon_lol: :icon_twis :icon_blah :teleport: :thumb: :icon_pacm :icon_disg :rofl: :icon_heyb :musicbooh :pimp: :torch: :Jack_O_La :Spidey: :ghostride :ponder: :rollout: :flag:

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Some can think of the new models like a sibling, some as a distant cousin, and some as a "shirt tale relative". But, we are all related, in the metaphoric sense.

thanks, Paul.

Paul, I think the right fitting word that you are looking for is "offspring".

rvrtrash

Veering a little off subject, I found an ad for an 07 CS locally with only 1250 miles on it, for a pretty good price. I went and drove it after work and I have to tell you, I couldn't get the smile off my face. This was actually the first 05-08 Mustang I've driven and I loved it. There just might be a second white CS in the pack before too long.

Steve

Midnight Special

Veering a little off subject, I found an ad for an 07 CS locally with only 1250 miles on it, for a pretty good price. I went and drove it after work and I have to tell you, I couldn't get the smile off my face. This was actually the first 05-08 Mustang I've driven and I loved it. There just might be a second white CS in the pack before too long.

Steve

Steve, you remind me of a RR engineer friend I have in Wyoming. At an annual get-together in Reno, he was showing us pics of all his vehicles and property...

His description went something like this:

"Here's my Vet, Here's my Cad, Here's my boat, Here's my truck, Here's my other Vet and here's my two Harleys. Oh - and that little trailer in the back... That's my house."

Keep us posted on the new prospect! I'm also considering a '70 Boss. Pics are posted in the Off Topic -"Mustangs over Reno".....

robert campbell

Not off the subject at all!!! Did you strike oil in the back yard??? I want one too!!!! Will you adopt me??

Rob

franklinair

Two stories in one:
I drove my '68 C/S to Asheville, NC for a Mustang show. (There were over 300 cars registered) I was tickled pink with my car's drive/handling through the mountains, as this was the first highway driving since I bought the car six months ago.
I was struck by the number of late models attending. Of 325 registered, I counted only 51 of "first generation" Mustangs. That equates to 85% of the cars that were there were '74 through '08 !! It was a super show benefitting the Asheville hospice care network, with a cruise on the Smoky Mountain Parkway.
There were 2 '07 C/S cars there, one of which belonged to a delightful family with a 15 year old son. The wife coveted my '68 while I coveted their white '07 C/S. I offered to swap title for title, but no deal!
The car I most admired there was a '02 GT convert (charcoal metallic).
My point being, although Mustang enthusiasts may have different preferences from model to model or generation to generation, we all share the same basic appreciations. Most of the Mustang shows I have attended over the years differentiate Mustang generations and/or body types (coupe, converts, fastbacks) for judging convenience or public preferences. But the bottom line is, the same basic appreciation applies to all models, for all concerned. So, there are '68, '07'and '08 California Specials. So what. Same concept, different generations. I love 'em all. My '68 is a classic. The '07/08's have better power, handling, engineering. What's not to love about that!?
Let's keep the C/S family intact, recognizing the differences of the two generations, while respecting the differences. (Do we love a family member more/or less based solely on their date of birth?) Let's appreciate the fact that Ford is perpetuating the C/S concept. Its good for the classic & new models alike.
As far as Paul's new book, the new generation should certainly be included, and as time goes by, technical data and info will become more available. (Paul- Volume III in your future?!)

My 2cents worth.

Neil Hoppe

rvrtrash

Sorry Robert, Joe beat you in the adopted son race by at least a year. :grin:
I didn't hit oil in the back yard but my truck will be payed off next month and it just seems like the thing to do. Tim, most of the stuff I buy, I get dirt cheap because people give up on them as projects, so it's not to painful to have a lot of "junque" sitting around. Example, I bought my '73 Mach 1 for $1,000. It's a Q code with air, rear window defog, tilt, gauges, fold down, int. wipers, deluxe this and that. I went over to buy the hood for my Boss project and the guy said he just wanted to get rid of the whole thing for a grand. 10 seconds of thinking and I wrote the check. The 70 Boss you're looking at seems nice. Have you gone to the Boss 302 Registry site yet? They have stuff for sale all the time. I'm not for sure on the 07 CS. I have to admit I've also been kind of trying to talk another guy into knocking $5,000 off his asking price on a '72 Pantera. "Hi, my name is Rvrtrash and I'm an addict!" Oops, drifted way off topic this time. Consider my typing fingers slapped!

Steve

L8GR868

Interesting thead. I own one of each. I 68 & 07. California Specials I have had the 68 scince 1990 and the 07 for one year. I took the to cars to a Mustang show acouple of weeks ago. I brought the 07 in first then brought in the 68. Not too many people looked at the 07 untill I had them parked side by side then the interest grew. I also had some information on the cars that I collected and displayed. The old car is the best car cruise route 66 in, but the new car is nice to have fun in at high speeds.
Eric
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=107

Last edited: