• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. anyone know what this is????

J.Bart

i saw this at a car show and the owner wasn't around. the car wasn't in the show so i took pictures. does anyone know what it is and how it works???

Attachments

• missoula car show 017.jpg
    missoula car show 017.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 52
  • missoula car show 018.jpg
    missoula car show 018.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
  • missoula car show 019.jpg
    missoula car show 019.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
  • missoula car show 020.jpg
    missoula car show 020.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 24
  • missoula car show 021.jpg
    missoula car show 021.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 31

mechanicalguy48

Yeah it looks like a chrome version of the McCulloch supercharger for flatheads bolted to an almquist dual single manifold. I mean its pretty cool, looks like stromberg 97's atop all that. The blower is belt driven there below all that.

rvrtrash

I second that opinion. You don't see that every day. Very cool!

Steve

Timmknz

Em are two ducks

That there is whatcha call a prodraxial dehumidifier.

Seriously though, not a clue...
:)
Timmer

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

Yeah it looks like a chrome version of the McCulloch supercharger for flatheads bolted to an almquist dual single manifold. I mean its pretty cool, looks like stromberg 97's atop all that. The blower is belt driven there below all that.

how does it work? and why run the radiator water through it???

mechanicalguy48

Well I am not an expert on it Jbart ( just seen one or two before) but its belt driven from below and its a centrifugal blower ,, the water I suppose is for cooling. I dont think there are too many of those around, but superchargers are not new, been used since the 20's. This one is smaller then the ones I have seen and I have never seen a chrome(or maybe polished one) one as the ones I saw were aluminium.

OP
OP
J

J.Bart

so it would be classed as a intercooled supercharger then.

mechanicalguy48

Well it might be, you cant tell from the photo whether the cooling water might be used for cooling the bearings on the blower or cooling the air or both, I dunno. Its funny that you see these things we tend to think of as modern contrivances on older cars. The Lemay Museum has a 1929 Pierce Arrow and it has headlights that track the steering wheel, and we think thats such a cool thing because the new Mercedes and some BMW's have it, but it was done like 80 years ago,,,,, so I guess the old cars have some cool stuff.