• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Auburn California - "Thunder in the Sky"

Midnight Special

Those of you in Northern California may want to venture to Auburn, CA on Saturday August 12 for their "Thunder in the Sky" air show. There will be over a hundred classic cars including four confirmed GT/CSs, one clone and one CJ Mach I. In addition, we've confirmed five North American P-51 Mustangs of WWII as well as a P-40 Warhawk, F8F Bearcat, Hawker Sea Fury, B-25 Mitchell Bomber and many other vintage airplanes.

On the Friday eve before - there will be a USO style hangar party and swing dance w/ special guest: USAF Col. C.E. Bud Anderson who scored 18 victories flying Mustangs in WWII.

I will be doing the announcing - so please stop by & say hello! Boy, if you like the sounds of "piston generated" horsepower - the afternoon fly-byes are second to none!!!

Attachments

• 2006-Thunder_photo_low.jpg
    2006-Thunder_photo_low.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 18
  • 2mustangsa-a.jpg
    2mustangsa-a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
  • mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Friday dinner/ dance tickets are $25 and the menu is tri-tip, chicken, salads & desserts. Beverages are beer, wine, sodas & water... To get there - proceed north from Sacramento (towards Reno) on Hwy. 80 to Auburn and take the Bell Road offramp. Turn left and proceed to New Airport Road. Turn right...

BroadwayBlue

Midnight Special said:
...Friday dinner/ dance tickets are $25 and the menu is tri-tip, chicken, salads & desserts. Beverages are beer, wine, sodas & water... To get there - proceed north from Sacramento (towards Reno) on Hwy. 80 to Auburn and take the Bell Road offramp. Turn left and proceed to New Airport Road. Turn right...

What is "tri-tip" ? :confused:

Mosesatm

Does anyone know what a swampwater is, or was? Some A&Ws had them years ago but they were not on the menu.

our special

Mosesatm said:
Does anyone know what a swampwater is, or was? Some A&Ws had them years ago but they were not on the menu.
You're going back aways now Arlie, don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember it being a mixture of root beer and orange soda.

Dave

Mosesatm

That's how I remember it too. 50/50 mix.

Those that have not tried it might think it sounds terrible but it's actually quite good.

Every day after our summer football practices we'd go to the A&W for swampwaters.

our special

Mosesatm said:
That's how I remember it too. 50/50 mix.

Those that have not tried it might think it sounds terrible but it's actually quite good.

Every day after our summer football practices we'd go to the A&W for swampwaters.

My long term memorary is not bad, it's my short term that's shot. lol

Dave

BroadwayBlue

Midnight Special said:
It's a marinated sliced beef dish...

Thanks Tim. Learn something new everyday. Never heard of this.
Actually decided to google it ... see attached brochure.

Attachments

• Discover beef tri-tip brochure.pdf
    182.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

BroadwayBlue said:
Thanks Tim. Learn something new everyday. Never heard of this.
Actually decided to google it ... see attached brochure.

Yep, that's it alright... Never knew the history behind it, but it's pretty standard fare for special events... Thanks Rich!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:

No, but I found out the hard way what smoke oil was. Smooth, tasty, refreshing, soooothing... yet, the ultimate cause of the worst bicycle crash I've ever experienced in life!!!

miller511

Tim,

Can you elaborate on the bike crash? ...and smoke oil? Do you ride/race?

My worst bicycle crash (on my road bike...as an adult) was on a freshly chip-sealed road. Chip sealing is the process of "re-paving" the road with pea-gravel over oil instead of traditional pavement. This seems to be the preferred method for Alameda County country roads over the past 20 years.

-Jeff

miller511

All,

Sorry if this is old news but...

The tri-tip cut of meat seems to be a popular Northern California thing...not sure how regional it is.
My girlfriend's family is from the Pacific Northwest and they had never heard of it until we had it at my place.

A really great way to prepare it is to marinate it for two days in Chaka's MMM Sauce ( I think this is a local thing, too) http://www.chaka.com Absolutely the best on the BBQ for 40 minutes..turning it over every 10 minutes.

-Jeff

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Was a great time & went off beautifully as advertised! We took the red, white and blue (clone) cars for thematic display near the announcer's stand where I worked during the event. The dinner/ dance was also a success & I was able to get my daughter Katie and her boyfriend Glen strapped into the two "warbirds" for the evening flyovers. The CSs were a big hit and were joined by another white one at the end of the day owned by Roy Christianson of Paradise CA... I encouraged him towards joining our family! All in all - Great fun!!

Attachments

• IM001501.JPG
    IM001501.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 28
  • IM001540.JPG
    IM001540.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IM001542.JPG
    IM001542.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IM003312.JPG
    IM003312.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IM003315.JPG
    IM003315.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

rvrtrash

Mustanglvr said:
Anyone ever heard of a Beef Commercial?

Isn't that the one where the little old lady would open up the hamburger bun and say "Where's the beef?" :rofl: :rofl: