• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Battery

teamlo

I would like to make the underhood of my '68 look a bit more original. I am interested in knowing if anyone has purchased a black Group 24 battery and added the "Autolite" top cover to it, to make the car look a bit more original. The car is a driver, so I am interested in a maintenance-free battery that would at least look the part, more so than what I have in the car now. I know there are reproduction maintenance-free "Autolite" batteries, but they are a little pricey. Just interested in knowing specifics, in terms of brand someone may have used (NAPA, Sears, etc.).

Thanks,

Terry

Ruppstang

It is best to buy the top and check the fit before you buy the battery. I look for a all black case and remove the stickers that the top does not cover. It really does improve the look in the engine compartment but is still a deduction in the Mustang Club of America. Good Luck Marty

Attachments

• Indy Trip 2009 020.JPG
    Indy Trip 2009 020.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 31

hcsstang

I was at a show one year and when we were leaving I saw one gentleman pull his battery out with one hand. I come to find out that when the old battery died he just cut the top off of the battery and cleaned it out and glued the top back on. So he used over the counter batteries for every day use.

green56

ght a auyolight battery from auto zone and i think i paid no more then $60 for one that was 2 years ago. I have bought from antique batterys and they never lasted 2 years and they failed

CougarCJ

I agree with Rupp, see what is going to work.

I have an old Autolite battery guide, (1969 I think).
The Group 24F battery is 10-3/4" long, 6-13/16" wide, and 8-61/64" tall.

Aren't the group 21R or 22HF more accurate for the 200/289/302 Mustang :confused:

di81977

Careful with the covers. I have seen some places selling ones where the red caps are more brown than red. Mine fit over the autolite battery pretty well.

david

Ruppstang

I agree with Rupp, see what is going to work.

I have an old Autolite battery guide, (1969 I think).
The Group 24F battery is 10-3/4" long, 6-13/16" wide, and 8-61/64" tall.

Aren't the group 21R or 22HF more accurate for the 200/289/302 Mustang :confused:

You are right most 200/ small blocks came standard with 22F. The 24F was a optional upgrade. The only topper I know of is a 24F Marty

RedGTvert

I have bought from antique batterys and they never lasted 2 years and they failed

Should have called them. They have a 4 year warranty. They replaced mine for just the cost of shipping, which was a whole lot less than $60.00 for a battery from Auto Zone.