• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brighter brake light bulbs??

mbsf1970

Does such a thing exists?
I often have people tell me that my brake lights and turn indicators are not working. I KNOW that my indicators work and that my brake lights work if I press down hard enough on pedal..(have to look into brake switch)

In the meantime, are there bulbs that are brighte than others that would help with indicator brightness??

Thanks,
Stephen

sam

I have had this same issue even with new amber lenses I purchased & installed.
I'm interested in a resolution too,

68CaliSp

The best answer is probably converting to LEDs. They are on my car and are very bright, making an obvious difference between running lights and brake/turn signals.

Here is a previous thread from Neil about blubs types: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10001&highlight=LED

Here are a couple links to purchase LEDs: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4817&highlight=LED

I recall reading a thread about 1157s and workable replacements but haven't been able to find it. Arlie might be able to dig it up.

franklinair

Try Sylvania 2357LL incandescent. Same base & globe, brake lite filament is about 25% brighter.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

How do the Sylvania 2357LL compare to the 30 LED referenced 2 years ago? Also read thread where author said 19 LED was more than adequate....thoughts from anyone? Does installing LED's affect turn s ignals as was mentioned in some other threads??
Don't mind paying the extra when it comes to safety.....btw, do you access bulbs by taking red lens off back of car or go through back in trunk? I assume lens....
Stephen

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here's an LED that looks like an incandescent light, but it's expensive at $30.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...bulb--dual-intensity-36-high-power-leds/1689/

Here are some others with 360 degree coverage, like the original 1157. If you check the Lumen values you'll see that some are much brighter than others.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...,195:Color,Red,136,4639:Beam_Angle,181,2,360:

Yes, the lights are accessed from the outside of the car. Four screws secure the chrome bezels and four more secure the red lenses. If the lenses haven't been removed in a few years they may be stuck on the gaskets. The lights may also be stuck in the sockets.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Are the bulb sockets the springy push and turn types? If so, its usually less than quarter turn in which direction? To left as looking at them?

Mosesatm

Are the bulb sockets the springy push and turn types? If so, its usually less than quarter turn in which direction? To left as looking at them?

Yes, push in and turn left (counter clockwise). If the bulbs are old the glass may separate from the bases, leaving you with a bit of a problem. Others here may have some advice on removing the bulbs without breaking them, or on how to remove the bases if they do break. I usually just get pissed and tear the bases out with pliers.

dalorzo_f

A small socket or screwdriver handle with a bit of rubber (or even a correct size piece of stiff rubber hose) inserted can help get them out without damaging the base. A good rust breaker (not WD40, really marginal for that) helps.

Not sure if it is available in the US but a product I found here called Reducter-H72 is fantastic, or I've just been extremely lucky as most everything I have tried it on (with the exception of some convertible top frame screws, they seem to self weld in place!) has come apart far easier then other similar items I recall from the past...

http://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/super-releasing-agent-reducteur/302026456?c=Product

On the brightness, never really understood the issue as with 3 bulbs far brighter than stock Mustangs. I've found the buckets losing reflectivity to be a major issue as the stock bulbs are really quite bright. I've used VHT chrome paint to recondition, seems to work well. Alternatively a stark flat white (counterintuitive) works well, as in the backup and marker light housings.

Last edited:

murf104

This advice comes from experience. I fooled around with trying to make my tail lights brighter for a year or more. Will not even list the "ideas" used - (none worked with a Sh**). I did, however manage to fry an expensive turn signal switch for a swing away wheel! Finally purchased a Mustang Project Ultra Bright sequential turn signal kit after seeing one in operation at a display at SEMA and man oh man, what a nice setup it is. And yes, you have to do some things to the front turn signals and change the flasher but you will not regret the display of lights. My headlights no longer dim at idle when the turn signals and brakes lights are actuated, no burned up brake light switches or melted contacts in the turn signal switch - just lights that ANYONE can see. Many other drivers who have followed us on cruises or club outings have commented on how visible the tail lights on our Cs are now. They are bright even when the evening sun in shining on them. Expensive? Yes, but because of my continuous searching for brighter lights with regular bulbs and "parlor tricks" I spent far more than needed going in the wrong direction before purchasing the LED boards. I think there are 108 LEDs in the CS kit, not certain but over 100 for sure. One light did not work correctly and they sent me another instantly with no questions. Just a good company to work with and good service and advice. Fool around all you want - burn up switches, melt lenses and aggravate yourself Just as I did, but the answer for me was the LED boards from Mustang Project. Some of the best money I ever put in that car from a safety and functionality point of view. Just one guys experience. In case you are curious, I have absolutely in involvement with the Mustang Project Company - just giving you the benefit of my search for brighter rear lighting and safer driving.

dalorzo_f

It is amazing to me that Ford designed such inadequate lights, yet no recall... :wink:

If restoring to stock is "parlor tricks", so be it... never burned up any of the items noted, but have only been driving 60's Mustangs for 30+ years, guess I'm lucky!

$280 vs some new $3 bulbs and restoring the reflectors for a $20 can of chrome paint.

To each their own, just offering a solution that worked for me.

gazrox

I went with the LED option for tail-lights, dash lights and hood signals - I didnt want to remove the instrument panel again, and I love the sequential's. I got everyhting from Mustang Project too - highly recommended!

Diesel Donna

Yes, push in and turn left (counter clockwise). If the bulbs are old the glass may separate from the bases, leaving you with a bit of a problem. Others here may have some advice on removing the bulbs without breaking them, or on how to remove the bases if they do break. I usually just get pissed and tear the bases out with pliers.

Hahahaaaa!! That sounds like me. A pair of needle nose pliers are always handy!

Bumblebee

Here are a couple more threads. http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10904
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10621

If you decide to change to LEDs another option is to go with the sequential units.

I went with sequential LEDs, so happy, good call!

Btw, old grandma's trick for broken bulbs (in the house too), cut a potato in half (raw obviously!), and squeeze the flat side into the fitting hard, then turn anti-clockwise and remove, works for me, but just the step before the pliers come out!:icon_pani

franklinair

No. T/S switch remains as is. You may have to replace the flasher due to lower current draw. You'll need 6 to do both tail lites.

Neil