• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Build Sheet Found

GTCSMustang

I was cleaning up my J-code GT/CS the other day and noticed a build sheet under the front driver seat. Anyone else found one there?
Scott

CougarCJ

Very unusual to find build sheets in 1968 San Jose cars.
I have yet to find even a single one, and I see lots of SJ Cougars.

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

I agree, I have owned a bunch of San Jose Mustangs and finding a build sheet is very rare.

Scott

DeadStang

I found one under the springs of the driver's seat on my '69 San Jose Mach. It's in horrible condition, but I pieced it together and it's still moderately legible.

Ruppstang

Marty, did you not get one w/ my 169927??????????? Bob here.

No Bob I sure wish I had. From what I am hearing most are finding them under the seats. The seats had been recovered if it was ever there it probbly was lost when they were recovered. Have you search through your R code?
Marty

Wolfsburg

Here's mine that I just discovered tonight. I got a glimpse of it while peering under the seat with a light. It is incredible fragile but I was able to carefully remove it and unfold it. I've got it in one of those plastic sleeves that Marti Reports come in.

SanJoseBuildSheet0001.jpg

Wolfsburg

Thanks! I was glad to find it. I guess my question is: Why are San Jose build sheets so uncommon and why did some cars get them while others (vast majority?) didn't?

J_Speegle

Thanks! I was glad to find it. I guess my question is: Why are San Jose build sheets so uncommon and why did some cars get them while others (vast majority?) didn't?

I believe it had to do with the way the plant handled marking the individual subassembles (example seats in this case) At all the plants dozens of these things were printed. A couple went to the assembly line and were often attached to the car (where, how and if depended on the plant and year) as well as dozens to the sub assembly spots around the plant. These workers would look at the print out see (for example) that they needed a set of standard black Mustang front and back seats for a non bench seat car.

NJ and Deaborn we often find that the worker would insert the buildsheet in one of the seats so that the buildsheet could be read then once all were ready throw them on the belt with the buildsheet up. Once the seats got to the line another worker would look at the seats, check the number, match it to the car coming down the line and install them.

At San Jose (during this period) the workers generally would read the buildsheet, assemble what was needed, write the rotation number (upper left hand corner on the sheet) on the seats, then place them on the belt. At the car end another worker would look at the seats, read the number, match that number up with the rotation number written on the exterior of the car front and back and install them

It looks like th eseat guy that did yours through the sheet in the seat rather than in the trash like most - good find

Sorry for all the words - just trying to help - and I hope it does

Wolfsburg

It does help! That was just the answer I was looking for.

I didn't realize it was essentially left to the whim of the worker to discard or retain a sheet (I guess San Jose guys walked to the beat of their own drum), and that there could conceivably be more than one sheet per car.

J_Speegle

I didn't realize it was essentially left to the whim of the worker to discard or retain a sheet (I guess San Jose guys walked to the beat of their own drum), .............

Not sure I would classify it as a "whim" anymore than any other action an employee chooses to do while at work. Each can choose to do what they are told or not - fortunately (unlike others) this one would not change the usability of the vehicle ;)

San Jose employees IMHO in general (have met some smart ones from each of the plants) were likely the ones most likely to follow the rules when compared to the other two Mustang plants. NJ ones seem to have made the most deviations from the norm while building the cars

Wolfsburg

Thanks again. Keeping in mind the fact that San Jose workers tended to stick to the rules more closely, were build sheets officially meant to be disposed of (and thus why San Jose sheets are rare)?

mustang.biz

Not a build sheet, but the Gold GT/CS I just sold has some great original documentation. I was preparing everything to send to the buyer and found the original bill of sale from the dealership! Has the trade-in, financing, everything, and looks perfect. He even kept the temporary registration that went in the window and both the temporary and permanent warranty cards.

So cool to find this stuff!

Wolfsburg

I agree! I bought my '69 from the widow of the original owner and it came with a lot of original documentation. Too bad my CS didn't come with the same but we can't have everything. :wink: