• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

FE Mustangs

gt bandit

crew ,

I know there at least 1 original R code and numerous other FE calspec floating around on this website.
the guy below is starting up a Info source and it would be really great to promote a Calspec on this site -

Not sure if this is allowed Jon - so don't crucify me please.

I haven't registered mine because its a Resto, I think this guy is chasing originality over anything else.

www.femustang.com

Diesel Donna

:::::::::::::::::scratching head:::::::::::::: :confused: I'm still trying to figure out what FE means.:embarass:

rvrtrash

There are a lot of guesses as to what FE stands for, such as Ford-Edsel, Ford Engine, etc. but basically it's the series of big block which includes the 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428 and a few other more obscure sizes.

Steve

P

PNewitt

Right, Steve, it's Ford-Edsel. I think it began with the 352, which were in the fifties big-car fords. In fact, I think that a lot of the 390 blocks have "352" cast on the block somewhere.

I love the sound of a 427 Cobra with side pipes. You can tell if a replica Cobra has a 302, or 351, or even a 460, from the sound. The FE motors have this deep rumble sound at 6000 rpm that just goes right through you.

BTW--GT Bandit...sometime, could you tell us about how Australians put together that cool "seat-of-the-pants" engineering with Ford HP products? You guys "just do it", like putting Cleveland heads on a Windsor block. It's an awesome "just-do-it" thinking out your way....include some of those hot "Falcon GT" cars, too.

thanks--Paul N.

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

Super Roo

Paul ,

one day i will post my thoughts and some stats on the Falcon GT era in OZ. But we have Bathurst next weekend , so my time will be consumed over the next week , gearing up for the Australian Version of Indy - except we have a street circuit that goes over a Mountain!!

I will leave you with the Aussie insignia that was fitted to one our fastest falcons the SuperRoo.

I also urge any V8 gear head to check the link below , these cars are exciting and Ford is leading the way at the moment.
http://www.v8supercar.com.au/calendars/clndrevent.asp?eid=202&ind=M

Attachments

• Roo2.gif
    Roo2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 102

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
Right, Steve, it's Ford-Edsel. I think it began with the 352, which were in the fifties big-car fords. In fact, I think that a lot of the 390 blocks have "352" cast on the block somewhere.
--Paul N.

The 332 was the smallest, '58/'59 only I think.

Steve

somethingspecial

Fe!?!?!?!

OK, I always thought FE stood for Furious Explosion, LOL, Just like GT/CS stood for Good Times California Special. (I can't take credit for that one, Midnight Special told me that 25 years ago). Mike

PB GT/CS

I dont know who even knows what FE stands for. I have seen this debate many times. However, you all are correct on the sizes (if memory serves me correctly). The FE engines were first built to be used as Industrial Grade engines. First applications were in Trucks and industrial Equipment. Our Father had a 65 Ford "Custom" (a cheap Galaxy) with a 352. Then a 67 Custom with a 390 and finally our brother had a 68 Merc with a 410. If I can remember, here is how the FE engines were built in the early days. The 332 was the original Dog, I dont know if the cranks were the same, but bore it out and get a 352. Take that block, bore it again and get a 390. Bore and stroke that block and get a 427 or 428. Now the tricky bits. To get a 410, take the 390 block and put in a 428 crank. If you want a real monster, put a 428 crank in a 427 block. I think that will give you about 450 CI +/-. Somewhere I have a FE "Parts Swap" book. It tells a builder what one gets when FE parts are swapped. The Cobra guys have made this into a cottage indusrty. The only way to tell the blocks apart (except for the 427 Block with its cross bolt mains) is to measure the bore of the cylinders and measure the crank. Otherwise, they all look the same even with the heads off. You are correct to say they have a "352" stamped on the outside, why I dont know. With the cost of a nice 428 these days, some 390 blocks end up being used and "marked" as 428s. Remember all parts on FE blocks will swap. A few 390s are getting an outside Cross Bolt "glue on" set to make them look like the real expensive 427s. Funny what dollars will make people do.

My 428 block was originally made for Industrial use. It found its way onto a center pivot irrigation unit in western KS. Those blocks had the stronger "webbing" in the lower end with forged cranks and pistons. Later in life Ford used that indusrtial block for racing purposes and called it a "Cobra Jet". I kept the bottom end of my engine entact with the old dished forged pistons and the heavy crank for my Cobra. We just added the Edlebrock Performer RPM cam, Alm heads, alum intake and 750 Holley double pumper and got over 460 hp with over 525 tq.

If you are looking to build a nice FE engine and have difficulty finding parts, do some research. A trip to an old Junk Yard can yield a nice motor with a reasonable cost. The 410 used in the old Merc full sized cars is a great engine that will cost pennies on the dollar compared to the 428. Some even had the Police Interceptor intake that was so famous. A 390 block is cheap compared to either the 427 or the 428 these days and can easily be built to over 425 Hp and 450 torque and be very reliable.

Finally, if anyone that has a FE engine says it does not leak oil, well they either have that one in a thousand or they have a pourous floor in the garage. It is really tough to get the FE engines to not leak out the rear main seal with original cranks.

Paul, you are correct, that sound, well I dont in any way need all of the HP, but I REALLY like the sound of the old FE Engine. It will set off car alarms and open doors at the gocery store with I drive by with that low bellow.

With all of that information you can get a cup of coffee if you have one dollar.

Brian

rvrtrash

I'd be careful about punching out a 390 block to 428. Most don't have thick enough walls to do it safely or without overheating. while the outsides of the blocks are the same, the castings are different in relation to the cylinders. The 406's, 427's and 428's are cast to have bigger bores and still keep the same wall thickness. There are some truck blocks from the early 70's that will take it but I'd have to go look up the casting number.

Steve

PB GT/CS

Steve, Sorry for implying that one could punch out a 390 to get a 427 or 428. I just meant the blocks themselves were basically the same and that Ford Engineers Bored (Cast) different blocks and used different combinations of parts to make these great engines. I also wanted to give a plug to the "lowly" 390 engine that came in so many grocery getters. Put some good parts in a 390 block and bingo you got a very nice engine.

B.

Herck

Good subject i bored a 390 to a 428 but i had it sonic tested and it was worthy. but i still need the right crank to make it a 428. i have a 390 still sitting if any body wants it.