• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Front Grill Repair

retroman99

I just removed my front grill and upon closer inspection i noticed it is in need of a little check and straightening and needs a few of the grids welded. Has anybody done this before. What method is recommended ? silver solder, brazing TIG? also is check and straightening at room temperature cause any problems. I live in So Cal does anybody have a shop they would recommend to do this repair. I’m afraid to touch it for it might end up one giant puddle of molten mush on the ground. Any help would be appreciated as i didn’t see any other posts on this subject

Ruppstang

I would not try welding. If there are not too many breaks JB weld epoxy works well with a small piece of reinforcement behind. Marty

franklinair

I believe Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) is knowledgable on this subject.

Neil

OP
OP
R

retroman99

JB weld ?? never used the stuff i was thinking silver solder or brazing. Thanks Neil ill try to send a note to Mike

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

I've lightly hammered and blocked with wood to straighten a few tweaked ones with no heating.

The metal appears like pot metal, and if so real soft and low temp, think brazing or anything like TIG would blow it away in an instant. The bars are so small it would be real hard, but there is a low temp solder called Muggy Weld I've used for other pot metal (would assume other similar products exist). Would guess you could solder with that type of prodcut and then carefully grind/file/sand...

somethingspecial

JB Weld is one of those products people either lOVE or HATE. I know of a true story of someone using it to repair a broken Cam stud in a racing motorcyle engine and it never failed. I have not used it to repair a grille, but it is one product I am going to try. Soldering does not work. I was going to build it up on the back side, then file down to make it square, leaving some on the backside for strength. If bars are missing, check with your local Mustang Restorer to see if they have any old grilles you can cut up for repair parts. Otherwise, a repop grille is your next choice.

Due to life, My GT/CS Grille brackets I have been making have been put on hold for now. When I get them perfected, I will let people know.

rvrtrash

When I repaired mine, I either soldered it with a torch or mig welded with low current. Sorry, but it's been so long ago, I don't remember which method I used. It would've been one of them though, not that it helps very much.

Steve

OP
OP
R

retroman99

thanks to all for the insight!! A repo 67 grill isnt that expensive just have to modify it and transfer my brackets. so if i screw it up i can always buy a repo one. I might try to find a real beat up one for parts ie practice with. good news is it is all there no missing pieces. but i also agree it looks like a pot metal more than sheetmetal and therefore need to be carefulllll.