• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Announced in 6/68 Sports Car Graphic

P

PNewitt

At the "Goodguys" car show in No. Calif this past weekend, I picked up a handful of old magazines from the March-July 1968 timeline.

...and sure enough in a near mint copy of the June 1968 Sports Car Graphic (page 81) there it was. The promo photos and a short review. Ford (JWT) provided the text, but this editor took it upon himself to editorialize that information...

This information was provided to the print media in March '68, when the GT/CS program was in full effect. Magazines needed (then) a two-three month lead time to get what they got into an issue, so that's why this announcement is in the June '68 issue.

Newspapers, however, were almost immediate in their release of the promotion, as well as the print advertising. That is why those ads are in the mid-March '68 California newspapers.

This magazine was aimed at the MG-Porsche-Jag-Ferrari-Shelby crowd, so there were no shortage of (pre-conceived) opinions...(I wonder what this same editor would think if he'd encountered one of our hipo/blower versions on the road today!).

The irony is that despire any pitfalls back in 1968, Ford thought enough of our enthusiasm today to bring it out again in 2007/2008.
It's funny how things can change over 40 years (OK, 39.8 yrs.)...

Paul N.

Attachments

• sprtsgr.jpg
    sprtsgr.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 68

clubpro

Thanks Paul,

I bought one off of ebay today for $10. If anyone else is interested there is one more on ebay right now.

Ron

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for the tip, Ron.

I think it's important to point out that even though the GT/CS might have not been well received in certain circles back in '68, it's proof is in the ownership.

Many other cars, like the Delorean, Nash Metropolitan, Rambler "The Machine", and even the Cobra Roadster, were not hot sellers originally--then they became collector cars over time.

So, don't take this harshness from it's own time to heart. What has made this Mustang we all love so special, is just that--love; for over 39 years.

Paul N.