• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS for sale salinas, CA

Diesel Donna

Amazing that the owner acts like it is the real thing when it was a conversion.
Hmmm.... pony in a corral in the grill, pony and bars on the front fender....nice car but not a "true" CS.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Good catch Donna. I didn't see that initially in the search results.

So.....Is $21.5K too much for a clone?

Mustanglvr

"It was called, "the Nicest California Special in the State," by a reporter for the Monterey Herald who interviewed us during the 2006 Cherry’s Jubilee show ‘n shine on Alvarado Street in Monterey."

Somebody NEEDS to talk to that reporter!

He must have had the judges and the reporter believing it was an authentic GT/CS.

Midnight Special

miller511 said:
Good catch Donna. I didn't see that initially in the search results.

So.....Is $21.5K too much for a clone?

...I don't think $21K is too much, given the fact it is a nice restomod. 'Long as the buyer doesn't think it's real CS. Many "modded" coupes sell for more $$.

I paid $18 for my clone and have absolutely no regrets.
...Matter of one's desires....

Attachments

• b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 30

Mustanglvr

Stroked94canary said:
Read the ad again. The seller does explain that this car was created as a GT/CS in 04, so I don´t think he´s misrepresenting in any way.

Yes he does, but the link he posts goes to the Nada price guide for an authentic California Special. Not a regular 68 notchback. That is very misleading.

68MustangHCS

Hey everyone...look at what Shelby tributes/clones are going for and SS tributes...Road runner's, R/T's...I'd say we should be getting close to 60K for our cars and 20-30 k for the tribute/ clones... ya think? NADA does not give our cars justice! period.... Our cars are so under valued...it's just pathetic!...

Mosesatm

Mustanglvr said:
Yes he does, but the link he posts goes to the Nada price guide for an authentic California Special. Not a regular 68 notchback. That is very misleading.

Maybe he doesn't know that a clone is not an authentic GT/CS.

Mustanglvr

Thats very possible Arlie. Someone should set him straight on that.
Someone should also contact NADA and give them an earful. I would, but no one will listen to a female regarding cars.

Mustanglvr

Quoting 68MustangGT/CS : I'd say we should be getting close to 60K for our cars and 20-30 k for the tribute/ clones... ya think? NADA does not give our cars justice! period.... Our cars are so under valued...it's just pathetic!...

Also,they are`nt correct with their engine list. There`s no 289 mentioned and they are the most common engine.
Is their pricing based on an original car or can it be a car that has had the engine replaced like mine, an inline 6 to a V8?

joedls

Mustanglvr said:
Quoting 68MustangGT/CS : I'd say we should be getting close to 60K for our cars and 20-30 k for the tribute/ clones... ya think? NADA does not give our cars justice! period.... Our cars are so under valued...it's just pathetic!...

Also,they are`nt correct with their engine list. There`s no 289 mentioned and they are the most common engine.
Is their pricing based on an original car or can it be a car that has had the engine replaced like mine, an inline 6 to a V8?

Well, the NADA guide uses data it receives from auctions and sales around the country to develop it's price ranges. And the way it works for our cars is the base model is a 289, and price is adjusted from there depending on engines/options. Although the 429 was never an option in 1968, so they do have some improvements that could be made.

gt bandit

68MustangHCS said:
Hey everyone...look at what Shelby tributes/clones are going for and SS tributes...Road runner's, R/T's...I'd say we should be getting close to 60K for our cars and 20-30 k for the tribute/ clones... ya think? NADA does not give our cars justice! period.... Our cars are so under valued...it's just pathetic!...

I agree , bring on the price rise---------------------- Not that i am selling but tell you the truth things really haven't escalated much in the last 2yrs apart from hype selling around BJ time.

68gt390

NADA is just a reference or starting point for me. Even though my car no longer has the 390 in her, it's still money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. I've had folks tell me I ruined the price of the car by putting in the 428CJ. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, I figure as long as the car is still period correct and not butchered up interior and body wise it doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, I've still got the 390 that belongs in her. Myself, I wouldn't take it back to a 390 unless of course I was a pureist.

Don :grin:

Mosesatm

Don, it sounds like you need 2 different air cleaner lids; one with a 428 sticker for real life and another with a 390 sticker for purist shows.:grin:

68gt390 said:
NADA is just a reference or starting point for me. Even though my car no longer has the 390 in her, it's still money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. I've had folks tell me I ruined the price of the car by putting in the 428CJ. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, I figure as long as the car is still period correct and not butchered up interior and body wise it doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, I've still got the 390 that belongs in her. Myself, I wouldn't take it back to a 390 unless of course I was a pureist.

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
Don, it sounds like you need 2 different air cleaner lids; one with a 428 sticker for real life and another with a 390 sticker for purist shows.:grin:

Arlie;
I'm already all over that. I've still got my stock air cleaner with the 390 HP sticker on it along with an after market air cleaner with the 428 CJ sticker. The factory air cleaner lid just barely fits. So far I've actually only had 1 person who actually knew it was a 428 CJ based on the heads. I saw him looking very intently under the hood at the heads and he told me you've got 428 CJ casting #'s on your heads. I just smiled and said yep.