• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Had a kid stop by and beg me to sell him my CS

obwan93001

Late this afternoon the doorbell rang and it was a young kid, driving a brand new Camaro btw, who wanted to buy my CS and/or my Dad's '66 coupe. Before he could finish his first sentence I told him "Neither of the Mustangs are for sale, sorry." He really wanted the CS though and asked what I'd sell it for if I was to today, I told him no less than $15k, not including all the parts and accessories I have "in stock". He begged me to sell it to him for that much and asked me to please give him 10 mins to go to the bank to get the money and I just kept telling him sorry man, I am not selling it, then he said "Well, they're both just sitting there not being driven anymore, come on." I laughed again and said "Dude, the CS is driven on a daily basis! And the other is my Dad's and isn't driven only cuz he had surgery and can't." He then asked me if I knew if it was a real CS and what it was worth restored and I said "Yep, I have the Marti report verifying it! Restored they go for anywhere from $20k to $35k depending on options and drivetrain and such." He said "No, man, they're more like $100k!" I laughed and said yea, if it was a rusted out Shelby maybe but if he gave the '68 GT/CS models about 5-10 yrs then maybe yea $100k. He really wanted me to show it to him and I said I didn't really have the time as I was quite busy at the time and on my way out the door. I told him it was just a C code 289 that didn't even have the original engine in it. He did a walk around of it then got in his Camaro and left. There are alot of families w/tons of money in this small city and wouldn't surprise me he had the money at his disposal but I was actually a little concerned after he left for whatever reason. Lots of peeps have come by, some when I've been here and others not, and never was the concern as high as it was today. Perhaps now cuz she's my daily driver I guess. I do have it fully insured w/State Farm at a value of $12k and will be raising that after the next round of upgrades and paint. Right now I only lock the doors w/all the windows up and vent windows closed/locked but now that it's my daily driver I don't even take the few secs to pull the coil wire out at the least anymore. I will be going to Harbor Freight in the morning and picking up one of their Club variations for some peace of mind. When I stay at the folks, where the kid came, I sleep in the bedroom in the front and can see/hear anyone trying to do anything to the cars in the driveway but at my apartment in the other side of the county I don't but do put a car cover over her as I live right next to the ocean so the less sand and saltwater I can get on her the better. Am moving soon so that won't be a prob for much longer anyhow.

Just thought I'd mention what happened as I kind of got a kick out of it and wanted to share it. Btw, I'm currently umemployed and yes the $15k would be nice but like I told the kid you can't measure the sentimental value. Simply, I love my CS! I have a load of parts and accessories that I've accumalated over the past few yrs when I was working so at least can keep working on the CS now. I'd even found a local who'll do the body work and paint on her for about $2k. This retired guy has been doing restos and engine rebuilds for years and his work is very good. Only thing I want to do myself is the rust repair, well at least cut out the two small spots on the doors and maybe two spots on the rear qtr in front of the wheel if needed. I'll cut it all out and prep it then have someone who knows WTF they're doing weld in the patch panels. I didn't like the guy's rust repair work as he tends to use filler after cutting things out unless he's being paid big bucks so to save me a little and make sure it's done right I'll do it. I'll post again some other time when all that is being done.

Oh, I did have another guy ask me the other day "Wow man! Is that really a numbered California Special??" I told him "It most certainly is!" He mentioned he really liked them alot and hadn't seen once since he was back in TX before he went into the military, said a friend at the time had one. It is cool getting nice comments even in the shape she's in now. Can't wait til she's been all dolled up. :grin:

Oscar

somethingspecial

Well, If he returns, tell him 35k and if he buys it, you can buy Doug's Car. Can't get much better than that. LOL.

390cs68rcode

I had one of those kind of conversations about a 66 mustang I had. Guy gave me his number and said he would buy it blah blah blah. I called him 3-4 months later and left a message. He never returned the message. I wasn't suprised.

Midnight Special

...I get that all the time with only a small percentage of them ready to deal. Many are infatuated, excited and will say anything, but when too much time passes - they get talked down by a spouse or with research and hear-say, find other deals...

GT/CS S Code

"Not for sale!"

When my 65 Mustang Fastback was still on the road (1980 to 1983), I used to get people that would follow me down the road until I would pull off into a gas station or grocery store, etc. and they'd pull up behind me, run up to the car, and ask me: "Do you want to sell that Mustang?"
I'd always say: "No, go find one of your own ... I looked at a lot of these cars before I finally bought this one!"
My poor old 65 Fastback has been off the road now for 27 years this coming September 10th, and it is LONG overdue to be finished and put back on the road. I STILL have one of my regular customers that I have dealt with for many, many years that comes into the store from time to time and asks me: "When are you going to sell me that 65 Mustang Fastback of yours?"
I still reply: "It's NOT for sale!"
:grin:
(I'm hoping to FINALLY get it back together sometime later this year ...)

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Well, If he returns, tell him 35k and if he buys it, you can buy Doug's Car. Can't get much better than that. LOL.

LOL. You know, I thought of that this morning too, dang. If I could I would mos def buy Doug's CS, would love a big block version but I have put alot of my blood, sweat and you guessed it, tears into "Di" that I just can't see myself selling her right now. I want to see this partial resto through then maybe we'll see. My dream car is a '68.5 Mustang Shelby GT500-KR black on black but I'd settle for a regular old C-code '68 Mustang Fastback in any color combo. :wink: I had a c-code '68 FB that I had to sell about 23 yrs ago and kick myself to this day, esp whenever I see a nice one cruise by. Just needed a lil more work, not much, but I sold her for $1k. Someday I'll have another one in my stable.

Oscar

Last edited:
OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Yea, I can't remember how many times someone has stopped by and wanted to buy my CS. Before I started driving her daily I kept her at the folks and I'd come by on weekends and they'd hand me someone's info that came by. Can't remember how many slips of paper w/numbers and info that I have put thru the shredder. I just don't want to sell unless I get to a point where I absolutely need to due to financial issues or the like. Let's hope that day doesn't ever come.

Oscar

68 GTCS

I also have been asked several times if my cars are for sale. It doesnt really matter to me, in fact I myself have bought several cars doing that same thing. I have had several friends pass by some cool classics saying "well it didn't have a for sale sign." Only to drive by later and find out that they were sold. I grew up in a small town in ND and there were two old Dodge 4 door sedans, one 1923 and one 1924 I believe. They sat there forever, as long as I can remember, I went back for a reunion about 25 years later and they were still there. I finally said the heck with it and approched the owner, I came home with both of them for $200. Yea, it pays to ask. :grin:

FirecrackerKTM

I had a guy pester me at Advance Auto the other night, I didn't even tell him a number. Just said "no."

OP
OP
obwan93001

obwan93001

Too funny and most don't really have the money just the desire but we all know desire alone don't getcha the CS or HCS or for that matter, the Mustang you want. :grin:

Yesterday I had to run out of town to run an errand and on my way out while I was stopped at a traffic light I was surprised to see a motorcycle policeman right at my window, the kid in me first thought "OH SHIT, A COP!", :icon_pani then when I finally figured out I wasn't doing anything wrong I said "Hey! How's it going?". He was practically drooling and asked if it was a real CS and I told him "Yep, sure is!" then he said "Wow, I didn't think there were many of those around anymore, they're just like the Shelby Mustangs!" To which I replied, "Well, yea, but they call these the poor man's Shelby." He laughed, light turned green and he shouted "Have fun and enjoy it!". I was waiting for him to ask if it was for sale, haahhaaa.

Midnight Special

..."Poor man's Shelby" indeed! How often do you see Shelbys running around town on errands? I try to stay as "poor" as I can... It wouldn't be much fun being "rich" in our case ;-)

J.Bart

hhmmmmm
a thought
maybe a person should have two 68 gt/cs cars.
the one you won't sell,...... and the one you will???? .....for a reasonable profit.

after all, we know where most of the cars are located.
might even be able to write off some advertising expenses

hhhhmmmmmmm
it's a thought!

nates68

Tim, i just got offered $50k guy from tahoe.he had the money, i said no when i called him.just cant let her go.keeps winning 1st place.lol- nate

Midnight Special

...Hey Nate, I'm not a bit surprised at that offer :) I think you have one of the best engineered (for fun, sound, performance & winning appeal) GT/CS packages I have ever seen! It's a nice feeling to see strangers share your enthusiasm that way. 'Neat!

HappyHour

My friend has been "holding" my CS for me while I have been traveling for the last couple of months. He keeps it running at intervals but always mentions comments he gets when its out including asking what I would want. Funny since most of the time its been in secure garage. (or maybe he is pulling a Ferris Bueller??!!)

Its been hard since Im currently not working but the thing I miss the most being away is not only not being able to just take a ride in it but just looking at it. Just a classic beauty.

Nice story...reminds me how I bought my 67 Mustang in high school. :wink: