• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 HCS build dates

Guyman

Being a new(er) owner to a 1968 HCS I am curious how these cars were built...in batches or just randomly on the assembly line one at a time here and there?., I remember seeing an advertisment about a train delivering them to Denver district.

Mr Teets I am sure can enlighten this subject.

I have 5 marti reports on these cars so far and have:
Earliest Vin #152028 built on March 22nd, 1968
Latest Vin #170384, built on July 3rd, 1968

Love the number crunching!

Looking for more knowledge on these '68 HCS cars.
:rolleyes:

mustang.biz

I know 8R01C168638 and 8R01C168631 are both HCSs (posted the Martis in the Marti thread) so it seems they were built near each other.

Hope you are enjoying your car!

OP
OP
G

Guyman

hey there

Hey Curtis., well., would like to be enjoying the HCS more., but have to finish up painting this 70 fastback I got., weather is changing this week, getting too cold to paint.., so hope to have it clear coated tomorrow.

Got the HCS running a few weeks ago., still has a miss in it. but can fire it up and idle on it's own, put on a rebuilt carb and that helped a lot but still a miss., like a sticking valve or something...idles and stays at 170 degrees with a 160 thermostat...also sanded and primed some of the bad spots until I can get to it. Already buying parts for it...I have a choice to make though., either finish up the Cal Special for driving or start on the HCS...decisions decisions.

You still have your wrecked GT/CS?

dalorzo_f

The GT/CS book notes all HCS were built in June and July, per Kevin Marti's database.

The 15xxxx number and March date is far in advance of all others noted in the book, which notes HCS production starting June 8th...???

Ruppstang

The GT/CS book notes all HCS were built in June and July, per Kevin Marti's database.

The 15xxxx number and March date is far in advance of all others noted in the book, which notes HCS production starting June 8th...???

You are correct in the time line. Guyman could you post your Marti report there mat be some clues there. Marty

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Sorry bout the early HCS Vin#>...I found one for sale on the internet somewhere and copied the Marti Report., evidently, it's a GT/CS...and not a HCS...this car was delivered to San Jose distict 72 (vin #152028)..if I can only remember where I found it for sale.

hicountrybob

Being a new(er) owner to a 1968 HCS I am curious how these cars were built...in batches or just randomly on the assembly line one at a time here and there?., I remember seeing an advertisment about a train delivering them to Denver district.

Mr Teets I am sure can enlighten this subject.

I have 5 marti reports on these cars so far and have:
Earliest Vin #152028 built on March 22nd, 1968
Latest Vin #170384, built on July 3rd, 1968

Love the number crunching!

Looking for more knowledge on these '68 HCS cars.
:rolleyes:
Hi there, Guyman, Bob Teets here and welcome to the ownership of a Special. I believe the advertisment that you note was a railway company struting their stuff for the '66 or '67 HCS cars that were carried over the great divide bound for Denver division. The scheduled dates (door tags) for the '68 HCS total 15 days ie. June 7,8,11,12,13,19,21 and July 2,3,15,17,18,19,29,30. These HCS cars were shipped to the " DENVER SALES DIVISION" to be sold to Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and southern South Dakota dealers. The vin #'s of the cars in the registry (thus far) and I've been doing the registry since the early 1980's, begin with 8R01J165224 and end with 8R01C170799. The car #170384 you list is a HCS owned by our SITE owner, Jon Hanna. Anything else, let's talk again, huh? Bob here.

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Hey Bob., I am not sure, if you know any information about the HCS I just bought off of Curtis in San Diego?., I have some information on it., and have several registrations with address etc. trying to fill in ownership dates., I do not know of the original owner., and I don't have a deluxe Marti on it., but know the dealer code...you have information on the dealer codes?., was wondering if mine was sols in Colorado or another state.
Thanks for the info., you are doing a great job with the registry. I started/ran the 1968 GT390 World Registry for years. I think I started the term "World Registry"., everyone is using it now..haha.

Ruppstang

Hi Guyman,
I am glad to know a true enthusiast has Curtis's other HCS. I love the Tahoe turquoise color and very nearly bought that car. It's a rare color on a rare car. Keep me posted on your progress. I am hopeful we can bring our HCS to the MCA national in Concord CA. I know that is not too far from you may be we can get together there. Post you dealer code may be it is the same as one of ours. Marty

hicountrybob

Hey Bob., I am not sure, if you know any information about the HCS I just bought off of Curtis in San Diego?., I have some information on it., and have several registrations with address etc. trying to fill in ownership dates., I do not know of the original owner., and I don't have a deluxe Marti on it., but know the dealer code...you have information on the dealer codes?., was wondering if mine was sols in Colorado or another state.
Thanks for the info., you are doing a great job with the registry. I started/ran the 1968 GT390 World Registry for years. I think I started the term "World Registry"., everyone is using it now..haha.

Guyman, the deluxe Marti report will show the original dealer and what state. I'm still at a lost on these dealer codes but may have a track record on your HCS. What's the vin # anyway? and let's see what info I may have on your car. Say, do I have the "World Registry" for the HCS and any statis that goes with it now...haha? I, too , saw your car at Ernie's Poway home just prior to his sale and asked to buy it or my red 8R01C169927 back from him but he wanted to sell all the cars and parts to one party. Let me hear from you on the vin #, huh? Bob here.

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Well., I am a true '68 nut...have had about every 68 model...shelbys, CJs, Cal Specials, GTs, etc etc....Love the body style...and the HCS just seem to be the next step. Probably have owned somewhere in the 30-40 range in my breif 45 years.!.haha.
The HCS vin# is 8R01C168638. I have owners back to 1982 and am the 5th owner back to that time....I am assuming is was sold a few more times before then., or at least one more time...dah...And I do know in 1982 it was in Durango, CO...and in 1987 was moved to San Diego, CA....In 1989 Ernie Gonzales bought it from the previous owner in 1987. I gathered all this info off the various paper work and service records I have for it. I will probably get a deluxe report just cause I am curious enough to find out more about it.
Marty...if you are coming to California let me know...I will bring something down. The HCS will not be done for awhile unless I bump it up on the restoration list. I have a 70 fastback that I am in the middle of., then a Cal special and 3 GTs...so I may bump it up maybe next summer.

Thanks., Guy

OP
OP
G

Guyman

Got my deluxe Marti today., my HCS was sold out of Durango, CO. The first registration documentation I have is from 1982 and the lady lived in Durango. so just missing the first owner's name!