• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 HCS count

Guyman

I know there are a few on here registering and counting how many HCS are left and accounted for...so where are we at?

Guyman

somethingspecial

Guyman, Bob Teets (hicountrybob) is the High Country Special Registrar. 1966-1968. I would start there. I have 126 1968 HCS listed in the Registry, Bob may have more, it's been awhile since I have talked to him. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

"I have 126 1968 HCS listed in the Registry"

A registry is a nice way to document cars that are reported.

All it tells you is that all those cars were reported at some point in time, not how many exist today as its not live data, or complete. Only as good as how well it is known, maintained and updated.

Asking how many are left is like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

somethingspecial

Thanks Richard. Guyman, There are 126 1968 HCSs listed. These numbers represent 30 years of documenting. As Richard pointed out, you must assume some have been wrecked or died and scrapped. Let's hope not, but it is possible. I know I have seen some HCSs turned into GT/CSs since I have taken over the Registry two years ago. I have just found two more undocumented GT/CSs in the last week.

I'm sure there are more HCSs out there undocumented, we just need to find them. This is ever changing, one may pop up, and one may disappear. We have seen images of HCSs in Wrecking yards stripped of their parts.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

"I have 126 1968 HCS listed in the Registry"

A registry is a nice way to document cars that are reported.

All it tells you is that all those cars were reported at some point in time, not how many exist today as its not live data, or complete. Only as good as how well it is known, maintained and updated.

Asking how many are left is like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

Why can't you measure the piece of string?

68HCS289

I know te guy I bought mine from mistakenly tried turning my HCS into a GT/CS *facepalm* Hopefully we still have many around, love informing people of what my car is that never heard of them.

di81977

I think the reason a HCS would be changed into a GT/CS is that when you buy the stripe package it comes with the GT/CS section that goes over the scoop. The HCS decal is no longer produced and getting harder and harder to find.

clubpro

Yes the HCS stickers are being reproduced. You just have to contact Bob Teets aka High Country Bob.

Cheers,

Ron

dalorzo_f

Why can't you measure the piece of string?

You measure one I'll measure another, oddly many will vary. Completely missed the point... which is no one can ever say for sure that all existing cars are in any registry, or if ones previously registered still exist.

It is a fool's errand...

x-codegtcs

You measure one I'll measure another, oddly many will vary. Completely missed the point... which is no one can ever say for sure that all existing cars are in any registry, or if ones previously registered still exist.

It is a fool's errand...

I am with Arlie on this one...I probably would have used the analogy "you can never know how many cups of water are in the ocean"...the ocean is always expanding and contracting depending on ice pack, evaporation,etc...a pc of string is finite and doesn't change once cut and can only get smaller - I mean really, I measure string all the time when I am knitting...LOL...just my 2 cents LOL HIJACK ALERT! LOL

OP
OP
G

Guyman

WOW..I guess I need to be more specific with my questions on here....OK., how many HCS "Approximately"....without strings, or oceans....are there left..shells, running, non-running, scraped, vin plates!...is that specific enough?...Geese...Ask a simple question and get a complicated, missing the point answer!

I am with you "Midnight Special"...half the time, you ask a question and it gets answered and answered and answered and then other questions that you didn't ask gets answered!...if you are gonna chime in, chime in with good info... and not what amounts to be useless information.

So what type of string are we using?

somethingspecial

WOW..I guess I need to be more specific with my questions on here....OK., how many HCS "Approximately"....without strings, or oceans....are there left..shells, running, non-running, scraped, vin plates!...is that specific enough?...Geese...Ask a simple question and get a complicated, missing the point answer!

I am with you "Midnight Special"...half the time, you ask a question and it gets answered and answered and answered and then other questions that you didn't ask gets answered!...if you are gonna chime in, chime in with good info... and not what amounts to be useless information.

So what type of string are we using?

You asked, and the number is 126 1968 HCSs in the Registry. They may all be around, some may have been stripped/scrapped. Bob Teets, hicountrybob, is the one you need to contact if you want a difinative answer as he runs the HCS Registry. The info is there, but we also like to be a bit jovial here on this forum to keep things fun.