• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Header Gasket Secrets

nfrntau

Hey all,
I have a leak in my exhaust header gasket and so it needs to be changed. Thought I'd ask everyone what secrets they use to make sure the replacement gasket doesn't leak also.
Cheers
Bill

Mosesatm

Is the leak where the header bolts onto the head or at the collector?

rvrtrash

If we're talking about an actual header, make sure both surfaces are clean, make sure the header isn't warped, use new grade 8 bolts and lockwashers and retorque the bolts after a half hour of run time. If it's the cast iron manifold, all of the above plus I've taken the manifolds to machine shops and had them surface ground to remove warpage and pitting if there is evidence one spot isn't sealing correctly. I always bolt the manifold/header in place before connecting the exhaust system to make sure it isn't placing a load on the manifold and making me think it's bolted up tight when it might not be.

Steve