• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headrests

franklinair

I just acquired a pair of '69 seatbacks with headrests. I've not had occasion to go into these before and am not familiar with the mechanism inside the seatbacks. My question is- do the headrests just pull all the way out, or is there some sort of release inside the seatback mechanism in order to remove the headrest?
I need to do some cleaning & prep before having the upholstery replaced and I haven't even removed the rear panel yet.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Hey, finally one I can answer! :)

On the '69 headrests there is a release clip. You need to remove the seat back to get to it. Then pry up the clip and pull the headrest all the way out.

The headrest shaft has 3 grooves in it for 3 levels of height adjustment. But the last groove is deeper, so the clip sticks there. (probably if you really yanked up hard on the headrest it would come out because the last groove isn't really that deep)

2023-04-01 09.09.35.jpg
2023-04-01 09.10.23.jpg