• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Just recieved my Marti report

retroman99

I have owned my GTCS for 25 years never knowing if it was a true GTCS. because it had everything that it was supposed to but the shelby deck,endcaps and tail lights. I bought it from the second owner who bought it in 1972. The rear end shows no evidence of body repair. I have been contemplating making the mods but didnt want to do it with all the repo glass. and was not sure if it was really a GTCS. Well the Marti report came in and sure enough it is a GTCS. so i guess im all in just need help finding the parts. Any advice would be appreciatted.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

What do you need?
I have a deck lid and Tail light panel that are in good shape. I need end caps Tail light buckets and harnesses and those sheetmetal plates that fill the cut outs in the stock panel. all the hard stuff of course i would settle for aftermarket sheetmetal plates but everybody i have spoke with say nobody makes them

aemoo28

I would investigate further. Your car was chosen to be a GTCS but for some reason was not converted over to one. Could be a very rare occurence; could have something interesting to uncover.

J.Bart

i was wondering the same thing Amy.

retroman99,
is there evidence that the fiberglass parts were installed at one time?
are the taillight mounts cut?

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Everything on the rear looks stock no evidence that panel has been replaced. Side scoops hood locks and fog lights and CS script gas and cap all look like factory. only thing i noticed yesterday is no sticker on inside of standard trunk lid. i have known this car since 1978 as i purchased it from my neighbor he never had any wreck. Im glad the Marti report states it is because everybody that i showed it to always looked at me like i was trying to pull a fast one

OP
OP
R

retroman99

Tony Branda has plastic covers. Since very little shows they should work fine.
http://store.cobranda.com/19shtasoco.html

Branda also has used buckets for sale.
http://store.cobranda.com/19shgttabuu.html
thank you very much i think i have a set of the tony branda fiberglass cutout fillers but did not think of them for the used buckets. really trying to hold out for steel ones. I also understand the wireharness is different for a GTCS than it is for a shelby it has a 6 prong plug and the lights on a gtcs are not sequential like they are on the Shelby and 65 T-bird thank you for the lead ill be giving TB al call next week

rvrtrash

The buckets are the same but the Shelby's and T-Birds have a controller, commonly called a "dynamite stick" that plugs in between the main harness and bucket harness, that causes them to sequence.

Steve

J.Bart

i think you should look into the history of your car more before you alter it's present condition, don't you?????
you don't want to alter history on a possibly important car???

what is the production date???

Mosesatm

thank you very much i think i have a set of the tony branda fiberglass cutout fillers but did not think of them for the used buckets. really trying to hold out for steel ones. I also understand the wireharness is different for a GTCS than it is for a shelby it has a 6 prong plug and the lights on a gtcs are not sequential like they are on the Shelby and 65 T-bird thank you for the lead ill be giving TB al call next week

I may be willing to send you a large filler and a small filler so you can get a local sheet metal shop to copy them.

PM me if you're interested.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

i think you should look into the history of your car more before you alter it's present condition, don't you?????
you don't want to alter history on a possibly important car???

what is the production date???
Seems crazy that is one reason i have waited so long to touch it. the only way ill touch it is if i can get some authentic parts. I sent an Email to Marti to see if there is any more info in their data base also sent off to Ford. my car was build on schedule 03/20/68 C code and the 51,230 car produced at the SJ plant

Midnight Special

...Interesting piece of history that should at least be part of your documentation. I see this goes back to 2003 with you... Definitely keep old photos and testimony, but as far as original (expensive) parts verses quality re-pop, I personally don't think it should affect the completed value of your car. Your documentation may instead, increase it :)

dalorzo_f

Many CS's got the trunk spare tire sticker on the left inner side of the rear 1/4 panel.

Only Federal complinace sticker on flat of lid as you open it, oftern on the flat area to the left of the trunk catch bracket...

J.Bart

so are you going to cut the rear taillight area and install the gt/cs parts?

OP
OP
R

retroman99

making progress

I may be willing to send you a large filler and a small filler so you can get a local sheet metal shop to copy them.

PM me if you're interested.

thank you for the offer found a set of 6 (4 small and 2 large ) good used sheetmetal socket covers from Terry at Tony Branda he was very helpful. so its now just ends caps and tail light buckets. think im going to have to modify existing harness when i finally find the buckets.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

so are you going to cut the rear taillight area and install the gt/cs parts?

Im working on getting authentic parts and then will cut the panel. I sent an E-mail to Paul Newitt telling him my story. probably wait to here from him. regarding cutting the holes anybody got a template or can i just use the light socket holes in the tail light buckets to locat the hole centerline on the 4 small holes. the large piece seems like it would self locate after cutting the old light opening

robert campbell

retroman,
I have a set of original steel plates that bolt onto the taillight panel for use in a GT/CS or Shelby conversion to their tailights. Give me your address and they are yours for the cost of shipping. They are the real deal.

This is the reason for this site. All of us helping each other out!

Rob

OP
OP
R

retroman99

retroman,
I have a set of original steel plates that bolt onto the taillight panel for use in a GT/CS or Shelby conversion to their tailights. Give me your address and they are yours for the cost of shipping. They are the real deal.

This is the reason for this site. All of us helping each other out!

Rob

Very cool Rob thank you I wish i had waited on purchasing the set i mentioned on my previous post. Hold on to your set if the one i have on their way dont work out i may take you up on the offer. i dont need two sets and perhaps there wil be another GTCS owner that needs them.