• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Late model 17x9 to 67 Coupe??

nfrntau

For the rears 1/2" on each side. On the front, based on what I saw when I test fit mine before I took the car apart I would guess you are correct at 1 1/4" spacer. 1" was not enouph.
Please let me know what you come up with as the correct spacer. I had looked for 17x8 wheels for the front but didn't find a set for the price I wanted to pay.
Some have advised against using spacers. From what I have found offroad guys use them all the time to fit the monster tires. They must hold up. I don't think I would want to run the road course at 160mph. I would also think the spacers would put more stress on the front bearings making them wear out a little more often than normal also.

Good luck. There are vendors on Ebay that have pretty good deals on them.

jk89cat

well this is sticky subject, i have seen it go both ways , there are people on my other car club who have had the wheel come off due to cracked spacers , and i have a had a similar situation on my cutlass i used to own. but there are peoplewho use them with no issue and have no problems, but would you really want to put over an inch of spacer on something you trust to keep you safe? i sure wouldnt , and the spacers are of disimilar metals too , so that is something to consider ,oh my other car club is www.tccoa.com

OP
OP
Curtis1213

Curtis1213

Thanks for the input guys! I went to Dallas Mustang and They had a kit called "old to new". I spent just a hair under $200 and got the spacers and all lugs. The spacers were 1" and were made with the new lugs. From an engineering standpoint, I feel pretty comfortable that these will stand up.
I actually made a mistake.......my wheels are 17 x 8, not 17 x 9, so I think this will make a difference. I'm going to put them on this weekend, so I will have the answers then. Also, I noticed that in the Mustang Monthly article for January, they recommended 1/2 inch spacers on the back with replacement lug bolts to be installed in the axle in place of the originals. For some reason, longer studs seem to bother me more than a good quality spacer with the lugs built in????? As long as it's less than an inch in thickness.
This is my Lone Star Limited car, so I am being very careful NOT to harm the originality in any way! Bolt on wheels are about the extent of my curiosity, with this car! A Blue Bonnet blue car with factory hubcaps ..........I'm trying to bolt on and engineer away the "woman appeal"! hahahaha The official Texas state color should have been ORANGE! Hook em Horns!
I'm currently trying to figure out an economical way to ship a 67 fastback from British Columbia, Canada.....to Texas. Any brain storms out there??
Once again, thank you guys for the input! I'll post my experience this coming weekend when I put the wheels on.

Curtis

case12

Curtis1213 said:
This is my Lone Star Limited car, so I am being very careful NOT to harm the originality in any way! Bolt on wheels are about the extent of my curiosity, with this car! A Blue Bonnet blue car with factory hubcaps ..........I'm trying to bolt on and engineer away the "woman appeal"! hahahaha The official Texas state color should have been ORANGE! Hook em Horns!

Curtis

I lived in Fort Worth for 4 years...and have to say the blue bonnet flowers grow everywhere and are beautiful. They are a great reminder of my time in Texas. I have a painting of them over my mantle hear in Illinois. So, I see where they got the color name Blue Bonnet from. Casey

rvrtrash

Curtis1213 said:
I'm currently trying to figure out an economical way to ship a 67 fastback from British Columbia, Canada.....to Texas. Any brain storms out there??

Curtis

If the seller is on the east side of the province, and it's cheaper to ship from the states than Canada, and he's willing to bring it down to me or meet me partway, you can use my house as a shipping point. A lot of if's but I'm willing to help if it works out.

Steve

OP
OP
Curtis1213

Curtis1213

Steve, thank you very much for helping me do some brain-storming! I actually think I may have a plan now. My son lives in Elk Grove. I think I may pay the transport (around $700) to move it to his place, then I had a trip planned to see him in June. So I can drag a trailer. Thanks for the help and offer!!!

And yes Casey......the Blue Bonnets are pretty here in Texas! If they were only Legend Green or Performance White Bonnets, it would be better! hahaha