• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Looking for tips on steering gear replacement on my '68 C code GT/CS

obwan93001

Hi all. I'm getting ready to do some more work on the steering system on my 68 GT/CS c code with power steering. The work includes replacing the steering gear box and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on swapping it out. I have an original Ford shop manual and it seems pretty straightforward to me. The only part I don't like is the manual's suggestion to unbolt the left motor mount at the block and lift engine 1/2". I'd rather perform the job without having to do that but will if I really need to. I did a search here but didn't find much and was hoping Stanger's site had the info and they do but don't. The link to a how-to article on the gear box is not working and brings up a blank page. :sad:

I also wanted to ask if anyone out there has ever overtightened the centering nut on the control valve to the point that the stop pin broke. When I rebuilt the PS system last summer I accidently :embarass: overlooked where the torque specs specifically stated the amount in INCH LBS and tightened or attempted to tighten to 90 foot lbs instead. I stopped before anything popped and then did it right. I now have a rebuilt control valve I can swap with but don't want to if I don't need to, not looking forward to the mess I know I'll make in the garage/driveway with all the fluid I miss. We'll see how things go w/the gear box then if time allows I'll swap out the contol valve.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Oscar
obwan93001

Wanted to add that I'll be going back thru Mustangs Monthly online as soon as I have some time to see what they have in their how-to section. I also wanted to ask what parts I should replace when swapping the steering gear box. I'm already planning on replacing the "rag joint" and the rubber boot/insulator at the firewall and maybe all the mounting hardware as well. The rebuilt gear box came with a new pitman arm complete with it's mounting hardware so I'm already good there.

Thanks again!

Last edited: