• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MCA Nationals - Springfield

case12

Great show - 490 Mustangs - but, either I was in the wrong class (ODK - which includes all occassional drivers that are trailered from 1964-1978) or my car needs a lot of work. I didnt win anything. My undercarriage looks like a 40 year old car from Pasadena, and I like it that way...to show people how nice the car was/is after 40 years of real road dirt. I probably deserved all the point deductions given this was my first time, but I also think I was in the wrong class (but they made me go into this class). I didnt even know I was supposed to take out my original rubber mats....I dont plan to change my undercarriage, as I like it the way it is.

But the good of the show: I met 3 other CS owners. Ray had a very nice restomod CS with a 429 in it. Black with white strips. Looked a lot like David's car. He will be joing the forum soon. Another meadowlark CS won a silver. And I met Caligirl (2007 sonic blue - beautiful car). Will upload pictures when I return.

Lastly, I met a gentleman from LA that swears he saw, and took pictures of, a pink CS with white strips and white vinyl top. He took the picture in 1968. He promised to look for it for me. The proof will be in the picture. But I think it is plausable since a local dealer did a "pink" advertising gimmic where the dealer painted a bunch of cars pink and advertised them a LOT to get new interest. I think it is the same dealer Paul N. and Robert are trying to interview (starts with a G - Grundy, or something like that). Anyway, this would not be a factory car - but could be a cool dealer car piece of history. But, like the say in Missouri - "show me".

Casey

P

PNewitt

"....but, either I was in the wrong class (ODK - which includes all occassional drivers that are trailered from 1964-1978) or my car needs a lot of work. I didnt win anything. My undercarriage looks like a 40 year old car from Pasadena, and I like it that way...to show people how nice the car was/is after 40 years of real road dirt. ....I dont plan to change my undercarriage, as I like it the way it is."

When you get your MCA judging sheet, let us see it. It was either from "cleanliness & condition", or "Authenticity". Perhaps your CS, being outside of the west coast, wasn't appreciated in the judging sense.

OR...I hate to say, there was some sort of bias against the CS overall at the show?

I would at least give your undercarriage a really good scrubbing! I think you'd be amazed at what you'll see. Mike J. can tell you what's under there.

"... I met a gentleman from LA that swears he saw, and took pictures of, a pink CS with white strips and white vinyl top. He took the picture in 1968. He promised to look for it for me. The proof will be in the picture. But I think it is plausable since a local dealer did a "pink" advertising gimmic where the dealer painted a bunch of cars pink and advertised them a LOT to get new interest"

That IS possible, but I'd be glad to see the photo. There are always anomalies.

"I think it is the same dealer Paul N. and Robert are trying to interview (starts with a G - Grundy, or something like that)"

I'll be interviewing a major dealer in Los Angeles that was there back in '68.

Paul N.

gt bandit

Casey - I too had some judging disappoints down under.

Not Concourse - Yep new that
Not Modified enough for modified - Okay the CS was available with a Cobra Jet ,so technically correct - custom paint doesn't count either
ended up in display class , got looked over in favour of a Fake red 69 boss - that actually was a 351.

I even tried to win them over with the Surf board on the roof , but No luck.
have considered buying Jason's car (not sure he would sell under 6 figures) just to stick it up the judges who wouldn't know what a concourse GT/CS looks like let alone judge it !!
Don't let it disappoint you to long - i didn't , i just decided to vent on the next club cruise by cranking up the CJ to blow off our national delegate during the run.

Yep - i am a non conforming Gen X , who doesn't appreciate old clubby values - Oh i also have a pretty fast car 2.

OP
OP
case12

case12

I am sending off for the judging sheets. Let me be clear - my car is a driver - NOT concourse - it is no where near concourse. Again, I take pride in it being a VERY nice car, mostly original, from Pasadena. It is not modified (mostly). Maybe I should try for "Driver" class next time, but I dont think they let trailered cars do that. Anyway....I need to learn more, or just enjoy the car without MCA judging. (ex; they took off a point for not having the trunk wires on the driver side correctly fastened.). :mad: They spent at LEAST 30 minutes judging my car - my hat is off to all of you out there that do well with MCA - it is harder than I thought.

I want to make one important point. After rows and rows of concourse 65, 66, Boss, Machs, Shelby's your eyes start to blur. But, LOTs of people would stop at my CS and say "This is different and cool.....what is it?"....'or they would say, I have heard of one but never seen one"....then I would go into my CS history lesson :icon_ecst

The conversations were priceless, and better than points. It may sound like sour grapes....but I would rather have my car on the cover of Mustang Times and have people stop and stare at it than win points at a show any way. :cool:

I did meet Mary Jean Wesche (MT Editor) and Wally Short (National Head Judge) and got pictures with them. I know both of them pretty well through email and now in person. They are both SUPER nice MCA people. I had both of them sign my MT cover.

Casey

Mosesatm

Maybe I should try for "Driver" class next time, but I dont think they let trailered cars do that.

Casey

Would it be dishonest to park the trailer down the street and drive the car a half mile to the show? It's a driver anyway so it's not like you'd be misleading anyone.

BroadwayBlue

...I want to make one important point. After rows and rows of concourse 65, 66, Boss, Machs, Shelby's your eyes start to blur. But, LOTs of people would stop at my CS and say "This is different and cool.....what is it?"....'or they would say, I have heard of one but never seen one"....then I would go into my CS history lesson :icon_ecst

The conversations were priceless, and better than points. It may sound like sour grapes....but I would rather have my car on the cover of Mustang Times and have people stop and stare at it than win points at a show any way. :cool:
Casey

Great attitude!! Especially the paragraphs I quoted above. I'm in the same place as you. But everyone is different. It's all about what's important to the individual and what they want their car to be.

I respect the people that want their concours cars and don't want to drive them. I give them a lot of credit. That's not my personal preference but I can't knock them for what they want and in turn they shouldn't knock us for our choices. In my opinion a concourse trailered car is a piece of art to be admired for what it is. That's not a bad thing it is what it is.

I always say, if I had plenty of money to splurge as I wish, I would still buy a car that I can drive and enjoy. To me that's what it's about, the nostalgia about driving the car, getting the waves and thumbs up, the conversations at gas stations and the people you meet at cruises and shows.
If I owned a museum I might feel different. But that's me.

Like we tell everyone that posts the question of "How should I restore my car?" and we all respond with, "what do YOU want the car to be?"

Enjoy the car as you wish, which seems like you're doing.

Now someone help me off this soapbox please :cool:

OP
OP
case12

case12

Finally got the photos uploaded. 490 cars and it was pretty hot...but I met some really nice people:

- From this site: CALIGIRL (Linda) with her awesome sonic blue 2007 GT/CS. I am wearing one of Tim and Sharon's great GT/CS shirts.

- Me with Mary Jean Wesche (Mustang Times Editor), and Wally Short (MCA National Head Judge). I am in the middle sporting one of Jon's great GT/CS shirts.

- Doing advertising for the GT/CS

Casey

Attachments

• MaryJeana.jpg
    MaryJeana.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 29
  • csa.jpg
    csa.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 35
  • caligirb.jpg
    caligirb.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 31

franklinair

Casey's experience at a Mustang show triggered an old memory. I had a '67 Conv, nicely restored, but certainly not concourse. I had installed all new suspension (front & rear), new interior, Candyapple paint, white top. When I installed new or rebuilt parts I cleaned & painted to correct finish & color.
BUT - I always drove my projects, figuring it was nice to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
I drove the car to Charlotte to a regional show, and during the check in & inspection I was told the car belonged in the Concourse Division due to the front suspension being detailed. I explained that I drove this car regularly and the resto was 3 years old. To no avail . So I let it be judged in a division way beyond the car's status, and of course did not come close to winning anything. But that's OK. It was a nice gathering with nice folks. Ironically, this car was a driver, and I enjoyed it for several years. (Should have never sold it!)
Neil Hoppe