• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New seats in the old car

Jayscal

I had come across a Mustang website that showed how 94 - 2002 Mustang seats, can easily be retrofitted into classic Mustangs.

http://www.stephanies-mustang.com/seats.htm

The older I get the less I like the stock seats in my GT/CS, not to mention not having headrests. Well after seeing the website I started searching for newer Mustang seats. My interior is black and all I could find were cloth seats no black just grey. Cloth just wouldn't do and I was about to give up hope on this endevor, when I came across a deal on black leather seats from a 98 Cobra Mustang. I checked them out, and bought them for a reasonable price. The website showed how you remove the stock seat tracks and mount them on the newer style seats. The two front mounting holes on the seat are used, then you mark the rear holes and drill and tap 5/16-18 threads, then put a grade 8 bolt in. The seat adjuster has to be bent flat to work on the new seat, no big deal. It took me a half hour a seat for track removal and new installation. How cool, easy project you have to love those. I didn't get to clean the leather yet, but I did a test area that I cleaned and conditioned, and it looks awesome.

I know alot of the crew here is for original equiptment, but what a difference in comfort, I mean serious driving comfort. The stock seats will never reside in the car again. Unfortunately there is no room to safely store the original seats, so they will have to go. I will take offers on my old seats which have perfect vinyl, just not sure how to ship them.

Attachments

• old seats.jpg
    old seats.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 43
  • new seats.jpg
    new seats.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 50

Mustanglvr

Sorry Jay, they look comfy, but I still like the look of the originals.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Mustanglvr said:
Sorry Jay, they look comfy, but I still like the look of the originals.

Yes I like the look of the originals too, and had kept the seats in for 22 years because of originality and to appease the Mustang purists. Bottom line was, they are not comfortable or supportive. Since I will probably keep the car indefinately, I figured make it comfortable to drive. The link above shows custom covers at 369.00 a seat then add headrests, thats way out of my budget. This thread was just to show that there are alternatives for people on a limited budget.

joedls

To tell you the truth, I've been thinking about alternatives to the factory seats. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

davidathans said:
how much did you spend on the 98 cobra seats?

I got both seats locally for $350.00, I think thats a great price for two leather seats with no rips or tears. That was the main reason I did the swap, the price was right.

I am not trying to push resto modding the California Specials, but if you have a limited budget, and safety is a concern this is a nice alternative. Heck that one site shows the head rests are $200.00 a piece, that is a crime.

Mustanger

Jayscal said:
I got both seats locally for $350.00, I think thats a great price for two leather seats with no rips or tears. That was the main reason I did the swap, the price was right.

I am not trying to push resto modding the California Specials, but if you have a limited budget, and safety is a concern this is a nice alternative. Heck that one site shows the head rests are $200.00 a piece, that is a crime.

... it does pay (literally) to shop around ... I didn't do too much comparing, but I found Mustang Plus to be cheaper, around $298 ... but if you shop around some more, you can find great deals out there ... By the way, what's the difference between '67 vs '68 seats (those sport upholstery kits are for '65-'66, and '67)?? ...

Mosesatm

From what I've heard the '68 seat's frame is different as part of the new-for-'68 safety regulations, but I haven't actually compared the 2 side by side so don't assume that I know what I'm talking about!!

Mosesatm

Jay, have you considered keeping the old seats? If you ever decide to show the car you could fairly easily swap them back and forth.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

I really wish I could, but I have no place to store them as my garage is a single car garage and space is limited. If I put them in the shed out back the Florida humidity will ruin them. I would rather sell them then let them rot.

Mustanger...
That link for the Shelby seats is a good price for the complete set thanks for sharing.

Mustanger

Jayscal said:
I really wish I could, but I have no place to store them as my garage is a single car garage and space is limited. If I put them in the shed out back the Florida humidity will ruin them. I would rather sell them then let them rot.

Mustanger...
That link for the Shelby seats is a good price for the complete set thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, anytime ...

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Update on new seats

While posting over at the vintage Mustang forum, I met a guy who made seat track extenders for my driver seat. They are made of 1/8 angle iron, and allow my seat to go a additional 3 inches back, no welding required. They bolt to the stock track, you do have to remove the stock studs to use these. It is sooooo sweet, for the first time in 20 some years I can stretch out my legs and get in easy. I actually had to move the seat up one notch so my left foot would rest comfortably (I'm a little over 6' 2'' tall)

I had aquired a set a headrests from a 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. I finally removed the factory 98 rests and installed these. These seats were awesome to begin with, but now with the adjustable headrest, it makes driving even better. When was the last time you had a headrest actually support you without contorting your neck or back. I also have a 88 Fox bodied Cougar XR-7 that has the same headrests, this is where I got the idea. I believe all fox body Mustangs, T-birds and Cougars from 87-88 and Mark VII's (leather) 87-89 have these type of adjustments. Why Ford changed the design I will never know, but I just thought I would share this neat option.

Attachments

• head rests a.jpg
    head rests a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 20
  • head rests b.jpg
    head rests b.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 17

speedy02

It would be cool if someone could find a pair of 2001 Bullitt seats.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

It would be cool if someone could find a pair of 2001 Bullitt seats.

I do agree with your statement, but good luck finding them. I can't see anyone having a 01 Bullitt Mustang and getting rid of their seats other than the car being totaled.

Here is a pic of the Bullitt seats for the people who haven't seen them. They match our 68 interior perfectly.

Attachments

• 01 bullit seats.jpg
    01 bullit seats.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 21