• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

OEM Hose clamps not clamping!!

miller511

Hi all,

Is ther some trick (maybe a particular torque spec?) when installing the OEM type hose clamps
See page 9 of the MP catalog-

http://www.mustangsplus.com/catalog/radiator_08.pdf

I've had terrible luck using these. They don't seem to hold tight and end up leaking.

Problem is that I really like the way they look vs. the standard off the shelf hardware store type hose clamp.

Thanks, Jeff

franklinair

They used to be called 'Tower clamps'. Ford used them because they were inexpensive (cheap). If you're going to show your car in MCA classes, they are required, or you lose points.
For practicality, the newer 'worm gear' clamps work best, but they aren't the politically correct versions for MCA judging. They just happen to work better.
A couple tricks to use the tower clamps:

1.) Soak the rubber hose end in hot water to soften the material. Then clamp it while still hot (REALLY TIGHT). Let it set until room temp before adding liquids in the system (anti-freeze, etc.) This helps the hose conform & seal.

2.) Same as above, but coat the inside of the hose with gasket sealer (Permetex works well). Let it sit o'nite to cure. Problem is, you'll never get the hose off again without destroying it.

If you're not going MCA Concourse, I would suggest not using the tower clamps. Hope this helps.

Neil

Perkchiro

I agree with Neil. I purchased a complete tower hose kit for my restoration and I ended up not using any of those buggars. Went back to the band clamps with the worm gears and they do work better and no leaks. As Neil said, you'll lose points in a show if you don't have the tower clamps, but do what's best for your own liking.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Hey thanks guys. Good techniques on getting the concourse type to not leak.

franklinair

As I stated before, unless you're going for MCA show points, forget the tower clamps. They're more trouble than they're worth, and they don't seal nearly as well as the worm gear clamps. However, if MCA standards or absolute correctness is your goal, try the methods previously given - and good luck.

Neil

John McGilvary

Hey thanks guys. Good techniques on getting the concourse type to not leak.

I know what you are talking about, Jeff

When I bought my CS the tower clamps were a pain in the #ss, but
thats the only clamps we had and this is how I made them work most of the time.

> put it on the hose where you want it, ( so the tower screw is easy to get at and the tower is not in the way).
> tighten the screw snug to the band, not too tight.
> tap on the top of the tower screw with a block of wood and you should be able to tighten the screw more without stripping it.
> just keep tapping and screwing until its tight.

Works for me,
John

BroadwayBlue

I was reading some posts on the Vintage Forums and also the MCA rulebook.

They state that either the tower style or the wire style are correct. Jeff Speegle noted that that San Jose were the first to test the wire clamps also.

In my unscientific observations I always tend to see tower clamps on small blocks and wire on big blocks for the radiator hoses. But it seems that doesn't mean anything.

Others with original cars say they had tower clamps.

I noticed NPD and Mustangs Unlimited sell both styles for the 68 engines.

Mustangs Unlimited states the following:

"Wire Style Hose Clamp, 1-1/2", for 1968-1973 Mustang 6 Cylinder & V8.

Ford began using this hose clamps over the previous "Tower-Style" during the 1968 model run."

Has anyone used the wire clamps and had better luck than the towers?

I noticed Bob Teets using the wire clamps as well.

We think we may have finally gotten the tower style tightened properly but not sure how long they will last.

Might switch to those if the towers don't hold up.

Prefer an original look if it won't leak.

franklinair

Given the choice, I would definitely use the wire style clamps instead of the tower clamps.

Neil

J_Speegle

I was reading some posts on the Vintage Forums and also the MCA rulebook.

They state that either the tower style or the wire style are correct. Jeff Speegle noted that that San Jose were the first to test the wire clamps also.

I noticed NPD and Mustangs Unlimited sell both styles for the 68 engines.

Mustangs Unlimited states the following:

"Wire Style Hose Clamp, 1-1/2", for 1968-1973 Mustang 6 Cylinder & V8.

Ford began using this hose clamps over the previous "Tower-Style" during the 1968 model run."

Correct - Ford experimented with the wire clamps on small blocks at San Jose plant starting in 66. Plenty of original cars and engineering drawings from 66 and 67 showing these